Losing Faith

Things havent been going pretty well at all and I feel like no matter how much I pray,fast,do good works, I get no results. It hurts me to say this but I dont feel the presence of God with me. It seems like theres always a way around God not revealing himself, for instance quotes like blessed are those who believe without seeing. I know all kinds of people have their own ways of God revealing himself, but i just dont feel it. Im going through some tough times, any advice would greatly help. thank you

I know many will not like what I am going to say but private revelation helps me a lot. Read a book about St. Padre Pio. It shows God exists and works in our lives even though we can’t see it. Read about Fatima too. These things are given us to help us, otherwise God would send them. One needs to place one’s mind and Faith in the Public Revelation of Jesus Christ but to help our emotions these private revelations help. Hope that helps. Also daily bible reading would be good to. The Cure of Ars said when we pray we speak to God when we read holy books we listen to Him.

Try going to Eucharistic Adorations and go to Mass as much as possible. Don’t let go, remember God always loves you no matter what. Read the Bible too. I have moments like this too, and I plan on being ordained! Just don’t let go. If you have any specific reasons you have doubts, I might be able to write about that for you, too. Sorry, you’ve probably heard all this before, but this is all I can offer now.

John89, I really feel for you! I know it seems like God is not revealing Himself to you, but He is. I think when you come across scripture quotes like “blessed are those who believe without seeing”, that’s God’s way of saying “I’m still here even though you don’t see me, so believe”. That could be construed as a revelation, don’t you think?

The only advice I can give you is pray for perseverence. Maybe some time in Eucharistic Adoration wouldn’t be a bad idea. Go to adoration and say, “Hey Jesus, here I am - now you can’t hide from me!” :wink:

I sometimes read about saints and miracles they performed and also read about exorcisms and peoples experiences with the demonic. I know not everyone is lying and some of the people who talk about it are truly sincere, but I also believe people let their minds play games on them, or theres an explanation but people want to label them supernatural right away. when it comes down to it though, to me theyre always just stories, theres never any refutable evidence to back them. @RosaryFan that quote also seems to me like just an excuse for God not having to make it clearly known that hes there. idk it just seems like it was all written around there not having to be proof

=John89;7256570]Things havent been going pretty well at all and I feel like no matter how much I pray,fast,do good works, I get no results. It hurts me to say this but I dont feel the presence of God with me. It seems like theres always a way around God not revealing himself, for instance quotes like blessed are those who believe without seeing. I know all kinds of people have their own ways of God revealing himself, but i just dont feel it. Im going through some tough times, any advice would greatly help. thank you

First of all I’ll add you to my daily prayer list.

Faith and with it Wisdom, Knowledge, Understanding are ALL exclusively GIFTS OF GOD.

Many well know Saints have had to go through what you are experienceing. Theresa of Avila, John of the Coss and Mother Theresa of Culcutta, who experinced this “dryness for most of the time she was in India.”

Here are some thoughts:

Do the Stations of the Cross slowly and reflectively DAILY

Google “Eucharitic Miracles” and spend time reading about these only explianed by LOVE occurences.

READ: Mt. 26: 26-28
Mark 14: 22-24
Luke 22:19-21
Paul 1 Cor. 11: 26-29
And this from John Six everynight brfore turning in:

John.6 Verses 40 to 56

“For this is the will of my Father, that every one who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.” [44] No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, [47] Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life. [48] I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that a man may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh." [52] The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. ***For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. ***[56] He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.

Participate in Mass, Adoration and Confesion FREQUENTLY! And have Faith in God, who has commited to not giving us any trial that BOTH GOD AND YOU can’t handle!

Love and prayers,
Pat

John, don’t worry to much, be patient and remember that loving God is more important than knowing Him, seek God for Gods sake, meaning, without any self motive, and God will reveal Himself to you,
and do not seek Him with a time limit, you have to understand that while God loves you immeasurably, He does not owe you anything, and does not need to meet your demands, which quite frankly, if He did things your way, you’d be much worse off.
however, God does not ask us to believe without reason or proof, faith is not blind belief, you just need to educate yourself,
i would recommend the writings and talks of Fulton J. Sheen -
alabamacatholicresources.com/archbishop_fulton_j_sheen.html
youtube.com/user/AFaithfulServant#g/c/291A7A1EB7543269
and this - audiosancto.org/

God will help you, He will give you the inspiration and grace you need to grow in virtue, which includes the love and understanding that you are lacking,
but you have to do your part, do not just pray or fast or do good works, those things are not exclusively catholic practices, although they are really very good and important and necessary things to do as a catholic, but you also need to educate yourself,
and even still, knowing your faith is not enough, it’s more important to understand it, so always pray before reading, and when you don’t understand something, ask someone who you can trust to give you a good answer.
The catholic church does not ask us to believe everything we are taught without question, instead they encourage us strongly to question everything(not in a doubting way however) and to seek answers and reasons, to understand what we believe and why we believe it, and not just about our faith, but about absolutely everything,

another problem is, you want to “feel” something, but you need to understand that that can actually be a dangerous thing,
if God does not give you the consolations of “feeling” His presence, then He has very good reason,
some people are very much the type to get attached to their feelings and connect them with their love for God, when in reality, love is not a feeling, and those kinds of people end up loving the feeling more than God, so that when God withdraws those consolations, they start freaking out and thinking that God has left them and He doesn’t love them anymore, or that they are not close to Him and just don’t love Him anymore…
of course that is not always the case, but the reason it happens may simply be because they do not learn their faith properly or practice their virtues or do all of the things they need to do first.
but anyways, don’t worry about “feeling” God, worry right now about learning to love Him, because you already know He loves you, He has shown us that He loves us in many ways, but more particularly by His life and death on earth,
although you might ask,“well why should i? what will i get out of it?”
well, first of all because God loves you so much, you will never find a human being on this planet that loves you more or more selflessly, God thinks only of you, never of Himself, we owe Him everything, but what can we give Him that He has not first given us? and yet He owes us nothing, and gives so very much, even though we deserve hell, He offers us heaven,
but besides that, another thing to always keep in mind is, this life is so very short, though it doesn’t seem that way now, one of the methods many, if not all of the saints used to keep focused on their goal, was to keep death always before their eyes, always recalling the day they would leave this world,
when you think of it that way, then everything else just seems so vain and fleeting,

and the more you learn and understand about God and your faith, the more you will see the great wisdom and care behind everything,
but you have to learn and pray, God does not ask us to believe without some kind of proof, even if it isn’t visible proof, there are many things that can convince you,
but first seek to love God without reserve and without a time limit, seek to earnestly know, love, and serve Him for the rest of your life,

i really can’t tell you everything you need to know to understand why God has made things the way He has, simply because there’s not enough time, but the answers are there, and those sites i gave you will definitely help greatly.
but if you want to ask some more specific questions that you are having trouble understanding, i would be glad to try and help further.

ok? hope this helps, take care.

Faith isn’t about feelings. Though God will entice beginners with spiritual consolations, those whom He calls closer to Himself must pass through the darkness and pure faith and trust in His everpresence. Actions are what ultimately separates beginners from proficients, not how they feel at prayer. This is a necessary step that all must go through.

Repeat this often: Oh Sacred Heart of Jesus, I trust in Thee.

Also, dig around in the multimedia links in my signature. Sensus Traditionis has excellent conferences/homilies on the spiritual life. They have been very helpful to me.

That is why I picked Fatima and St. Padre Pio. Both have documented miracles.

ONE miraculous healing interceded by newly canonized saint Padre Pio was the healing of a blind girl born without pupils. How Gemma di Giorgi could see without pupils puzzled doctors at that time in 1947 when the grandmother brought the little girl to San Dioganni Rotondo from Sicily and asked Padre Pio to heal her.

The story reveals that the holy priest made the Sign of the Cross on the eyelids of the girl after she went to confession and received her first communion. I found this story in the book “Padre Pio of Pietrelcina” in a chapter written by Fr. Armand Dasseville, OFM Capuchin.

Faith is not a feeling. Sometimes we may be given feelings of one sort or another, but those are not faith.

Faith is our response to God’s call to us. It’s an act of the will and intellect. Our “Yes” to God, just like Mary’s Fiat…let it be done to me.

Ask for more Faith…“Lord “I desire to desire” you, and only you. Give me this desire, My Father.” Every day ask for more faith, and ask the Lord to not let you waste any of it. “Lord I do not want to do anything to displease you, so give me more faith”

You’ve been given some very good advice.

Now here’s a bit of whimsical advice which I hope will still help:

If you can do so, go outside at noon on a day when the sky is blue with no clouds. Look up at the sky. Then think of what the blue sky of daytime is hiding from your eyes but which exists. The stars. If there were to be a total eclipse of the sun, the blue sky would darken at noon and you’d see the stars revealed behind that light blue veil of daytime.

:heaven:

Beautiful idea.

Thank you all very much for your advice, I greatly appreciate it. @emeraldwings, I used to study the faith for hours a day, I was obsessed with learning about the faith and how to defend it, I even considered the priest hood at a certain point. I know faith isnt about feelings, but idk if i can keep faith with a feeling of absence in me. Its always been like that. Im not trying to sound whiny or anything and I know that people around the world have things much worse and I always thanked God for what I had, but things just keep getting worse and worse. I cant sleep at night because im too worried about how my families going to have food on the table for the next day, and Im only 21. Theres alot more to why my faith is fading besides not feeling Gods presence, everythings just taking a huge toll on me. Once again though I appreciate all of you taking the time to help me out.

You and me, John89, we’re not the same age but we seem to be in the same boat right now. It seems I have been praying for years, but have been given little outside of what I have done for myself. The only thing I can think is that I have been trying to cultivate my own sense of faith, hope and love, and it doesn’t take root. I’ve been wondering, if faith, hope and love are actually divine virtues, maybe they can only be gifts. Maybe I will stop trying, working, praying so hard. Maybe it’s time to say that I can’t do it anymore, and if God wants me to go on, he’ll have to do the heavy lifting.

Thanks for your post. I’ll let you know how it goes. You keep us posted how you are doing.

I’m not speaking of defending the faith or the doctrines and dogmas or other church teachings, but rather, the virtues,

it’s the intimate relationship with God you need to seek, not the knowledge, because as i said, to love God is more important than to know Him…

the reason these things are taking a toll on you, atleast as far as i can tell from what little you’ve said, is because you are trusting to much in yourself and expecting to much at once,
if you are only 21, then my friend you have a long way to go, don’t be so impatient,
i am only 23, and although people tell me how well educated i am in the faith, from my point of view i am very ignorant in most things and likewise have alot to learn…and it is the truth,

you need to “let go and let God” as they say, which means, don’t worry, but pray,
but in order to receive Gods blessings, you must strive to live a holy Catholic life, so if in any way you are willingly living in sin, that would certainly hinder you from receiving Gods grace…not that you are, but i really don’t know.

and even if you spent hours reading, you have missed something, there is something you do not understand, because you think you need to feel something to believe…and i really do not mean that to sound rude, but i can tell you from my own experience, you do not need it, even in deep depression and darkness, you can still love God intimately and be devout and loyal to Him, the reason being, love is not a feeling, but an act of the will,

i know it can be exhausting at times or depressing, but there’s nothing forcing you to make a life changing decision, just be patient and wait for God, and in the mean time just learn to love Him, if nothing else, just learn to love God.

we are on this earth for a purpose, which is to choose between loving God or rejecting Him, and at the end of your life, nothing else will matter, all things will be forgotten,
the decisions in this life are like choosing between gold and mud, diamonds and stones, pearls and shells…when looking at it that way it is clear which ones you would choose, but in reality, we always seem to choose the lesser things…we are not in heaven yet, so we can’t expect to be happy right now, but we know we will be happy in heaven, and because of that, and most importantly for God, all of these sufferings in life are well worth it, because we know they will end and we will be happy…even though it’s not always easy, but as long as we just keep trying, then that’s what’s most important.

well, sorry if i am unable to help, but either way i will be praying for you,
don’t lose hope, there’s still alot of time in which many things can change.

and please check out those sites i gave you in my last post, i am sure they will help.

Dear Losing Faith,
I’ve read all the responses to your cry for help. They are all good and true. I have to ask you though. Have you read John 3:3? Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.” and it goes on.

Have you ever asked Jesus to come into your heart, cleanse you of your sins, and fill you with His Spirit so that you can be “born again” of the Holy Spirit?

It wasn’t until I asked Jesus to come in and live in and through me that I had the experience of “feeling” God’s presence in my life 24/7 regardless of the circumstances around me. Jesus also said, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” Revelation 3:20

Without this personal relationship with Jesus, the rest is all going through the motions in our own power, which produces no peace. There’s a bumper sticker I’ve seen:
No Jesus, No Peace Know Jesus, Know Peace
I will pray that you experience HIS peace today!

Don’t forget that after Jesus knocks on the door, he comes in and sups with you–that’s the Eucharist! And don’t let anyone worry you, you’ve been baptized the Bible way–with water and the Spirit–you are an adopted son of God and you’re in the family. You have nothing to prove. Just love your family.

Don’t stake your faith on miracle stories or healings or apparitions or the desire for unusual phenomena.

Love God, receive the graces He’s giving you, allow your virtues to develop, and be steadfast in faith and practice. Perform your duties of life as if you’re doing it for God–whatever your current point in life.

Jesus is so lovable. Go on a silent retreat one weekend and just read the Gospels.

Trust in the Divine Providence. I am AMAZED how apparently small events or setbacks in life, worked out for the best in the long run, including saving my life several times over. But I was 40 something before I could start seeing the whole chain of events. Sometimes hindsight is 20/20.

God is so good…pray, hope, and don’t worry, as St. Pio would say! :thumbsup:

Hi John, I know what you mean, I’ve gone through this too. Keep in mind that our spiritual life consists not in feelings, but in how much we love God, and sometimes He makes Himself feel distant to us so that we would love Him more disinterestedly. If you feel like He’s not there, but still want to love Him and do His will, you have no idea how good that is for spiritual growth and how much this pleases God :slight_smile: try to trust Him that this is part of His plan for you.

There are also some books about trusting in God that might be helpful… one that I really liked is “Consoling the Heart of Jesus” by Michael Gaitley

God bless :slight_smile:

I agree about going to Mass and Adoration as much as possible… when I am struggling spiritually, I try to go every day, and it’s actually helped a lot. Even if by the end of it I still don’t feel closer to God, I notice that my faith increases. We do receive many graces through the Mass. Also, pray the Rosary :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.