Loss of Graces and Merits

I was reading a meditation on sinners and it said something about when we commit mortal sin, we lose all value for eternity and all past graces and merits are lost. It did say as long as we live without contrition adn confession. This meditation confused me so I would like clarification.

Does this mean if we commit mortal sin that even after sacramental confession and contrition that we have lost all graces and merts from before we sin? Does that mean, for example if I had done so many good things and obtained many graces, merits and all that good stuff that if I commit one mortal sin and later confessed it then, well, died a day later, would that mean God will not honor those good works, graces and merits that I had done prior to me commiting the mortal sin?

I am a bit concerned. I would love to hear some input everyone especially from some priests and nuns out there.

I wish you didn’t write that… :confused:

When in doubt go to primary sources such as the Catechism:

"1468 "The whole power of the sacrament of Penance consists in restoring us to God’s grace and joining us with him in an intimate friendship."73 Reconciliation with God is thus the purpose and effect of this sacrament. For those who receive the sacrament of Penance with contrite heart and religious disposition, reconciliation "is usually followed by peace and serenity of conscience with strong spiritual consolation."74 **Indeed the sacrament of Reconciliation with God brings about a true “spiritual resurrection,” restoration of the dignity and blessings of the life of the children of God, of which the most precious is friendship with God.75 **

1469 This sacrament reconciles us with the Church. Sin damages or even breaks fraternal communion. The sacrament of Penance repairs or restores it. In this sense it does not simply heal the one restored to ecclesial communion, but has also a revitalizing effect on the life of the Church which suffered from the sin of one of her members.76 **Re-established or strengthened **in the communion of saints, **the sinner is made stronger by the exchange of spiritual goods among all the living members of the Body of Christ, whether still on pilgrimage or already in the heavenly homeland:77 **"

Doesn’t sound like we start back at square one after confession of mortal sin, rather that we are fully restored to all the grace we had prior to the sin. Remember the Prodigal Son? He was restored by his father to his position of sonship, not sent out to live among the servants or in the dog kennels!

As LilyM drew from the Catechism, from what I have read there and elsewhere, we gain back all that we lost through confession.

Well, this is great news. Thanks !!

Thanks Lily - I was worried for a minute!

At least as regards temporal punishment, the amount remitted by Confession depends on the charity of the penitent. The better and more worthy your confession, the more meritorious. It is possible, in fact, to rise up from sin more worthy than before one fell. I have a feeling, though, for most of us, we return at a lower level. The key is, as the Saints recommend, to do everything with surpassing love.

-Rob

Just dont die on the way to confession. :wink:

That’s not a problem in Catholic theology. :thumbsup:

Actually, that is a problem. There are so many outs as to render the rules somewhat meaningless.

IE “Desire of Confession” without sacramental absolution

The Baptism of desire,

Baptism of Blood,

Invincible Ignorance.

What you dismiss as “outs”, we recognize as the mercy of a God who knows each human heart. But “outs” plays so much better to those who want to find faults with Catholicism under every rock.

And what is this recognition based on? In other words where are these “outs” found?

There are no outs.

Nothing un-holy shall enter Heaven!

That includes dung souls.

Jesus’ grace never covers them…

Either Jesus transforms them to perfection or they go to Hell!

When Jesus said “Be ye perfect”–He wasn’t lying!

How are Protestants made perfect?

How are they transformed?

How do they sin unto death and not unto death?

If Jesus can’t make us perfect–then what is the point?

The Cross of Jesus doesn’t proclaim a legal fiction that is Imputed to sinners that lies and says they are perfect when they are not!

The Cross of Jesus does transform souls that accept it and obediently bear it unto Real perfection.

That’s what Jesus’ Catholic Church has always taught!

Don’t believe any church that would lie about the real condition of souls!

In authoritative sources which you reject.

Why do you deny God’s mercy when Scripture is so overflowing with examples of it?

I wouldn’t call God granting mercy an out. That’s why I said there are no outs.

I was hoping for a little more than, “ask the pope”. :rolleyes:

Sacred Tradition and Magisterium.

And you might want to reconsider your contempt for an office created by Christ himself. Just a thought.

Who is denying his Mercy? I just asked for a source of the caveats in RC theology.

An example would be what happened to Peter. Jesus said that, if we deny Him before men, he would deny us before His Father. Peter denied Christ. Christ forgave Him, and restored Peter to his previous state of grace. Peter did not lose any of the prophesies Christ had made to Him, or about Him. In fact, all these were fulfilled in Peter after He repented of His sin.

Judas, on the other hand, did not repent, and the whole three years he sojourned with Jesus was of no benefit to him whatsoever.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.