Loss of salvation?

I was hoping someone could help me out with proper catholic doctrine on loss of salvation.

After one has been baptized and forgiven of all sin. Than that person loses their salvation [or grace] through mortal sin. What is the reason for the loss of sin? Is it that the** person** has rejected or loss the grace of god, or is it **god **that no longer gives the grace or salvation because of the persons sin?.

thank you much.

By choosing the mortal sin, they chose not to love and serve God. They cut themselves off from God and His saving grace. God won’t give us saving grace if we don’t want it. So, I guess it’s kind-of both.

-Vince

Committing a Mortal Sin is a rejection of God.

A mortal sin, by definition, is an act incompatible with charity (and “act” here means an act of will, not necessarily a physical act–deliberately lusting or indulging murderous anger toward someone, for instance, is a mortal sin). Charity–the love of God poured into our hearts–is what unites us to God. So if we act in a way that is incompatible with charity, we lose grace.

Edwin

maybe this will be more clear.

does god stop his saving grace toward you when you commit a mortal sin, or do you by committing the mortal sin [by doing and choosing] reject gods free grace. Any official church document would be helpful if anyone has it on hand.

It was clear. I thought I answered it. Grace is the love of God poured into our hearts. Mortal sin makes us unable to receive that grace.

I would encourage you to look at the Catechism of the Catholic Church–in this context, particularly the sections on mortal sin and on grace.

Edwin

So if a person asks God for forgiveness of a Mortal Sin will he be forgiven?

you have to confess mortal sins to a priest

But I believe that if a person is sorry and confesses his or her sin directly to God through Jesus Christ he will be forgiven. Being a new Catholic Revert this is perplexing that you say a person has to confess his mortal sins to a Priest. I am not against it. But it’s a bit much for me to take in given the gravity of those who did not confess all of their mortal sins to a Priest. What if they forget some of the mortal sins they committed years ago?

This. :thumbsup: It is pretty clear. This isn’t really issue where we have to spend a lot of time pouring through Church documents and Catholic doctrine. Long before the New Covenant God made it pretty clear that “if you reject me, I’ll reject you”.

Exodus can help for starters. God leads his first-born (AKA the saved by His grace)to the promised land. How many did not make it? Follow the circumcised throughout the entire old testament and see how they were punished (even destroyed) for their rejection of God and His laws. St Paul tells us “These things were written for our instruction” in 1 Cor 10.

The normal way that God wishes to forgive our mortal sins is through the sacrament of confession, that is why it was instituted. But if a catholic repents to God with an act of perfect contrition(Repentance out of love for God), then they are forgiven provided they go to confession at the next reasonable opportunity. Non-Catholics are also forgiven with an act of perfect contrition. And yet, when one is restored with an act of perfect contrition, the restoration is even more fully affected when he receives the sacrament.

The sacraments are instituted to make salvation easier, not to make it harder. Confession provides an easy way to restoration with God. Especially since sins will be forgiven in confession even if the contrition is imperfect.

If somebody goes to confession and doesn’t remember a past mortal sin, then it is forgiven in the absolution. If you remember it later, you have to confess it when you go next time, but it has been forgiven.

However, deliberately failing to confess a mortal sin you do remember will make your confession invalid and add the sin of sacrilege with it.

Wow. This is getting a little complicated and scary. But I do appreciate your feedback.
So, how does one confess a sin? Say I think something terrible. Must I confess the exact sinful though or can I just say what it was in a broad brush to spear the Priest the horror of my thought as well as me the embarrassment.

I don’t see how that is scary, per se, you can’t accidentally deliberately refuse to confess a mortal sin.

And it suffices to say “I have hateful thoughts” or “I have lustful thoughts”. And then mention how many times or how frequently, to the best of your judgement. Although, it is possible that the priest could ask more questions about the thought, if he sees fit.

I want to add that there is no such thing as “Once Saved Always Saved”

see John 15:1-6
Hebrews 6:4-6
Hebrews 10:26-31

The embarrassment of having to confess some sins has prevented me from committing them! I thought, “Wow. I really don’t want to have to go to confession because of this…”, and I did not pursue the sin. So, this is a GOOD thing.

However, on the occasions when I had to confess serious sins, I felt tremendously relieved, refreshed and grateful for God’s mercy as I walked back to my car. So, this is a GOOD thing.

Finally, my advice is to not worry about sparing the priest…he has a gift from God, and he has heard it all before.

From the Catechism:

**1861 Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God’s forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ’s kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back. However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God.

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131

This all has to do with our wills; God won’t force us to turn towards Him, or remain turned towards Him, anymore than He forced Adam to.

That’s a good point. When I was in the Protestant Evangelical movement many preached that. For years I didn’t believe it. Nor did the church I attended. But when I did attend a church they taught me it to be true. I started believing in Once Saved Always Saved. My walk with Christ went down to nothing. I became apathetic and just want on sinning. After all, I’m saved. Yes, the Bible does NOT teach that doctrine. However, perhaps a person will spend much time in Purgatory… don’t you think?

The best apologetics I have found on this is from our friend John Martignoni.

The notes to his Bible study are here.

His free MP3 of that study is found at
Once Saved, Always Saved?

Scripture tells us to confess our sins to each other-and that the church has the power to forgive them. By providing the sacrament of Confession/Reconciliation, God ensures that we’re not merely paying lip-service to the need for repentance; rather we have a “place to go”; as with all sacraments it’s an outward, physical sign and source of an internal reality: the grace God gives to effect change in us. And there’s a dynamic interplay that can take place between this sacrament and another one: the Eucharist.

The Eucharist outwardly signifies and effects the most important need we have: communion with God, the purpose of the New Covenant, the reconciliation of relationship between man and God that was shattered at the Fall. If we fall into serious sin, we sort of re-commit the original sin of Adam, breaking communion with God, turning away from Him. We excommunicate ourselves. And the Church teaches that repentance is then necessary in order to restore us to communion, and therefore before we should partake in the Eucharist. In this way, we live out this aspect of the faith that Jesus revealed to us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.