"Lost" TV show discussion (contains spoilers!)

Do not read on if you do not want the shows ending or other incidents exposed.

For everyone else - Ok, so I finished watching the entire Lost series. A number of people told me that as an X-Files fan, I would like Lost. So I’m going to jot down a bunch of thoughts and welcome discussion—if any of the “unsolved” stuff was resolved and I missed it, please chime in. :o

Most of this is critical, so it will seem like I didn’t like it, but if it’s possible to like a show that is full of holes, this is it (although I can’t see rewatching it).[LIST]
*]I do think it is probably the best thing since X-Files, although I’ve not watched too much TV since then.
*]The scenery is cool.
*]They had many pro-Catholic themes from time to time.
*]The acting was very good all around. With the exception of a few characters, it was all-around excellent.
*]My favorite characters were Sayid and Desmond. They were always engaging. Desmond was so intense at times and he did it so well. And Sayid’s history was different than the others who were all social misfits—his past was more dark and not socially-related so much.
*]The pace was generally good within each episode.
*]The dialogue was almost never corny, although they had so many repeat “lines” throughout the show like: “And why would I do that?” after someone gives a suggestion or command.
*]But this show was not nearly as good as X-Files.
*]To me, the X-Files mastered the art of the “teaser” - the beginning of each episode before the credits that generates enough mystery in the viewer to react: “I want to see what happens next!” The problem with Lost, is that it is almost exclusively teaser with little to no payoffs. It felt like the writers were flying by the seat of their pants with no clear direction in mind.
*]For instance, the “button” you push every 108 minutes was intriguing. There’s so much “why” about it. And then the payoff in a later season is that it needs to be pushed to prevent some electromagnetic reaction that could destroy the world or at least crash airplanes. Despite that, the leaders of the Dharma Initiative never tell the button-pushers why they have to push the button other than “it saves the world.” It bordered on the ludicrous. They leave such a dangerous fate in the hands of a psychology test and hopefully the subjects will comply or at least not fall asleep.
*]In season 1, Ethan is apparently so adept and covert that he can sneak into the camp and kill anyone he wants, which he does. Yet for some reason he demands that Claire be handed over.
*]In the episode of Charlie’s death, it was terribly choreographed. First he shuts the door in on himself when he could have easily walked outside the room first and then shut the door. And second, the Russian guy decides that the way to kill Charlie is not to toss the grenade into the open room. No. He decides to drag his bleeding self out of the room, into the ocean, swim to the porthole where Charlie is, and commit Kamikaze. What.
*]Danielle turns Ben over to the group - and we later learn she knows full-well who he is. Yet she never bothers to tell any of them anything other than “don’t believe him.”
*]Too much of the “suspense” was artificially created by unreasonable behavior. For instance, at the end of season 3 when Jack is about to contact the ship on the satellite phone, Ben and Locke are both like, “Jack, don’t call that ship! If you do, everyone dies!” There was plenty of time to explain in a few sentences why that would be. It was just ridiculous behavior that only served to keep the viewer watching to find out “why”.
*]Ben strangles Locke, and yet the autopsy apparently shows that Locke hung himself.
*]In Recon, Smoke-Locke tells James/Sawyer that he had to kill everyone at the temple and that he offered them a chance to leave peacefully (again without telling them why). And he said he just wanted to get off the island and those people think they are protecting the island from him, so it’s either kill or be killed. (even though Smoke-Locke can’t really be killed as Sayid stabbing him showed).
*]The “numbers” are never explained.
*]How does Jacob get around in the world and know stuff like exactly when Locke goes out the window?
*]So the “Others” wanted Walt because?? He had some powers of some kind? Yet we are not told what experiments they did and then they let him go? Walt and Michael are the only 2 people “allowed” to leave the island yet we get no detail as to why.
*]Kidnapping the children in seasons 1-2 never comes into play or explained.
*]Some say that the ending of the show means Jack was dead and it was his dream. If someone wants to defend that feel free. I take it as an “alternate” universe branching in 2 directions from 1977 onward.
*]Alternate universe Sayid ends up with Shannon who Boone said just used older guys for a while. Not a very good ending for him, considering his true love was that other woman.
*]Also in the alternate universe, shouldn’t Alex have flashback visions to her “island life” like everyone else did? And won’t hers be of betrayal by her surrogate father who she now admires and invites over for dinner as her favorite professor? Everyone else has fond memory flashbacks of their corresponding associates. She would have had horrible memories, and instead she had none.
*]This one might stir up some people here, but the portrayal of women was frequently “testosteronic” for lack of a better word. Kate, Ana Lucia, Juliet, and Ilana all beat up or punch out men to unconsciousness with some frequency. Although believe it or not, I wouldn’t put Rousseau in that category because she used a weapon or traps.
*]The pylons apparently keep people and the smoke monster our. But people get around this like when Kate & co. climb a tree and go over it. Apparently the smoke monster never thought to do this?
[/LIST]If I think of anything else, I’ll post it. :o

oh i thought you were talking about the tv series "Lost tapes" on animal planet..... :shrug: i do like this show though! shame i stopped watching it and then got completely discubobulated :(

Discubobilated?

i dont know sounded it out.

sounded?...

grr

I thought of another two.[LIST]
*]Sawyer never sees his daughter apparently.
*]Also, I don’t think that Season 6 can be Jack’s dream because the doctor at the mental institution where Hurley was (in season 2) appears in season 6 in a flash-sideways—Jack never met or knew of that doctor.
[/LIST]

I started watching Lost right before the last season started and was hooked. It’s a dangerous show to watch when you have access to that many episodes. Each episode ends with a cliffhanger and you always have the next episode available to see what happens = too many episodes in a row!

I think it’d be a hard TV show to watch while it was airing for the first time though. If you miss one episode, it’s hard to figure out what’s going on.

in regards to the "alternate universe" and "Jack's dream" - I don't think, by the end, that either one is 'correct'. What appeared to be an alternate universe was actually part of the afterlife. They were there until they each were 'awakened' by remembering. Then they met at the church and 'moved on'.

in regards to Walt being kidnapped by the others - I think the writers had some ideas but Walt hit his growth spurt and went from being the little kid to being 6 foot enormous. So I think they just let that part of the story drop. {which I think answers *WHY * but not **WHY **Walt & Michael got off the island. ;)

[quote="Dandelion_Wine, post:5, topic:252314"]
in regards to the "alternate universe" and "Jack's dream" - I don't think, by the end, that either one is 'correct'. What appeared to be an alternate universe was actually part of the afterlife. They were there until they each were 'awakened' by remembering. Then they met at the church and 'moved on'.

[/quote]

But they encountered many earth-farers in the "afterlife" you speak of. Like Dr. Brooks that I mentioned in my previous post, or Penny, etc... They shouldn't have been there if it was the afterlife. But it makes sense if it was an alternate life. No? Plus you had Desmond always saying, "See you in another life, brother." The only thing that signaled afterlife to me was that Jack's dad was wearing sneakers with his suit---the way he had been buried, although we all know death on that island was not permanent...

Marco - I could be wrong about all of this, BUT...

Although we 'saw' the side-flashes next to what was happening on the island, ALL the people in the side-flashes were dead.

When Ben chose to stay outside the church, as Hurley went in he says something like "you were a great #2". This is in reference to Hurley being the new Jacob on the island, something that happened after Jack died.

When Jack goes in the back of the church and finds the coffin empty and then his dad comes in, that's the catalyst for Jack to remember. They hug and I don't recall if Jack asks, but his dad says something like "we all gotta die sometime kiddo". Jack's dad goes on to say how there is no time in this place and it's a place they made to find one another so they could move on together.

I never watched an episode of LOST - it got so complex, I never felt like I could jump in the middle of a season. I think I'll pick a long, quite period and start watching all the episodes over the course of a few months on DVD or Netflix. I have been enjoying FRINGE from J.J. Abrams, and am about up to the last of season 3. Anyone else watch it?

[quote="Dandelion_Wine, post:7, topic:252314"]
Marco - I could be wrong about all of this, BUT...

Although we 'saw' the side-flashes next to what was happening on the island, ALL the people in the side-flashes were dead.

When Ben chose to stay outside the church, as Hurley went in he says something like "you were a great #2". This is in reference to Hurley being the new Jacob on the island, something that happened after Jack died.

When Jack goes in the back of the church and finds the coffin empty and then his dad comes in, that's the catalyst for Jack to remember. They hug and I don't recall if Jack asks, but his dad says something like "we all gotta die sometime kiddo". Jack's dad goes on to say how there is no time in this place and it's a place they made to find one another so they could move on together.

[/quote]

That may be the writers' intent, no doubt about it. All I was saying is that not everyone in the side-flashes were dead, nor were they even known to Jack, such as Hurley's psychiatrist Dr. So that may be a flaw in the writing if nothing else.

[quote="Arizona_Mike, post:8, topic:252314"]
I never watched an episode of LOST - it got so complex, I never felt like I could jump in the middle of a season. I think I'll pick a long, quite period and start watching all the episodes over the course of a few months on DVD or Netflix. I have been enjoying FRINGE from J.J. Abrams, and am about up to the last of season 3. Anyone else watch it?

[/quote]

I hear Fringe is more coherent and not all over the place like Lost was. But I'm wary to dive into that before the series is over. I don't want to get stuck having to wait for weeks or years to get answers. :o

[quote="MarcoPolo, post:9, topic:252314"]
That may be the writers' intent, no doubt about it. All I was saying is that not everyone in the side-flashes were dead, nor were they even known to Jack, such as Hurley's psychiatrist Dr. So that may be a flaw in the writing if nothing else.

[/quote]

It's really sort of a Catholic view of the afterlife. The flash-sideways was outside of time. Yes, there were many people in the flash-sideways timeline that were not dead by the end of the earthly timeline of the show (Hurley, Ben, Sawyer, Kate, desomnd, etc.). But they all had to die eventually, whether it was in a day, a year, or 50 years.

It doesn't matter that not everyone was known to Jack because it wasn't Jack's dream. It was the afterlife. I'm sure we'll run into all sorts of people there that we didn't know here on earth. :)

The flash sideways was an afterlife of sorts, comparable to purgatory. the flash sideways takes place after everyone on the show had died (even though we don’t know when they all died, but it is principally introduced from Jack’s perspective, the first scene of the season occurs after Jack dies… he “wakes up” on the plane in the flash sideways which was the moment his life ended on earth)

With that said the flash sideways is full of illusion and alternate reality that did not exist in the real timeline, some examples of this are Jack’s son (he did not have a son) his marriage to juliet (never married to juliet). These alternate realities and illusions existed in order to prepare the characters to let go and get closure on their lives so they could move on to what is presumably heaven (similar to purgatory where we receive final purification before entering Heaven), and some of them just were not ready to move on by the end of the show where we see Ben electing to stay outside the Church saying he has a few things to work out presumably dealing with all of the sins he committed especially allowing his daughter to die rather than give himself up to save her.

So after Jack died, in the real world the story continues for who knows how long it could be decades for all we know and what happens during this time is left up to the viewers imagination, but the end sequence in the Church brings closure to the series by showing us that these group of survivors that became family basically overcame every demon they were dealing with and entered into heaven together.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.