LOTH Author

I know that there are many different versions used. I use the one volume Book of Christian Prayer. That’s just a for instance.

I am curious about the antiphons and prayers and responsories, and other parts of the LOTH. Specifically, who wrote them? Where did they come from? How old are they? How were they put together? Who constructed it? etc.

Does anyone know a resource I can study to find out about these questions? Curiosity is all, but it’s becoming really curious to me and I have not been able to find any information.

Thank you in advance.

I can’t answer this question, but I found a book that might provide some insight. It’s called From Breviary to Liturgy of the Hours: the Structural Reform of the Roman Office, 1964-1971by Stanislaus Campbell.

Seems like a good place to start. A preview is available on Google Books at books.google.com/books?id=KLASAVprexwC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=fals

amazon.com/Liturgy-Hours-East-West-Origins/dp/0814614051

You can read the daily Liturgy of the Hours here universalis.com/ (click on the links at the left)

The prayer is based on the over 1500 years old payers of the Church the Divine Office. The base is the Psalms. The antiphons, repositories, short lessons are mostly from the Scriptures, hymns at least as options have the original hymns.

They added some new hymns and other prayers, I believe that is for what our Pope said earlier that they are man made and banal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.