LOTH before Mass?

I am curious what other think of praying morning/evening prayer in the hour or so before Mass starts. I often arrive an hour or more early in order to open the building which leaves plenty of time for prayer. I often pray morning/evening prayer before Mass begins. The Mass and the LOTH seem tied together and this seems comfortable to me. Any thoughts as to the appropriateness of this practice?

The Abbey near me recites the appropriate hour from the LOTH before Mass, so I think it would be OK for you too! ;)

[quote="pvondy, post:1, topic:326359"]
I am curious what other think of praying morning/evening prayer in the hour or so before Mass starts. I often arrive an hour or more early in order to open the building which leaves plenty of time for prayer. I often pray morning/evening prayer before Mass begins. The Mass and the LOTH seem tied together and this seems comfortable to me. Any thoughts as to the appropriateness of this practice?

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it's standard practice in seminaries, monasteries, and other communities where the Hours are prayed.

[quote="pvondy, post:1, topic:326359"]

[/quote]

Hi pvondy,

I found this..... scroll down to Chapter II-VII. Combining the Hours With Mass or With Each Other
ewtn.com/library/curia/cdwgilh.htm

If others get there early enough, perhaps you can get a pre-Mass group started ?

This is precisely what the Dominican Brothers at my parish do twice daily. Lauds is prayed at 7:20 AM, Mass starts at 8:00 AM. Vespers is at 5:00 PM, Mass starts at 5:30 PM. The only exception to this is Sunday, when we have too many Masses for the Brothers to publicly celebrate the Hours.

I'd say you're in good company :)

Thanks for posting this. I was going to say that I remember friends of mine who went to seminary mentioning that they actually combine morning prayer and Mass into one ceremony, but I couldn’t find documentation for it.

Can't think of a better place to do it, really. A while back when working from home I'd drive into the home office in the city once a week, and I'd arrive early enough for 7 am Mass at St. Joseph's Oratory in Montreal. I'd usually pray the Office of Readings before Mass there, and then Lauds at my office.

[quote="aemcpa, post:3, topic:326359"]
I'm pretty sure it's standard practice in seminaries, monasteries, and other communities where the Hours are prayed.

[/quote]

Just in case there needs to be an example...

My Seminary prays Morning Prayer first thing in the morning, followed immediately by Mass.

My parish prays morning prayer immediately followed by Mass (at approximately 8:00am). It's nice if you can get there in time for both. If your schedule doesn't allow for both you just slip in as quietly as you can (and hope they didn't pray faster than usual such that Mass begins extra early.)

I pray my morning prays of course in the morning,than I talk to Jesus and Mary durning the day,and say my Rosary in the morning or at night, When I go to church early,I usally talk to Jesus and Mary, and pray some of the prays from the Missual that I fine in the pew.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.