LOTH & Officum Divinum

I bought The Liturgy of the Hours and Officum Divinum and I am pretty confused. What is Officum Divinum and how is it used? How are both Officum Divinum and The Liturgy of the Hours used and sorted? Could anyone please give me instruction on the organization and how I might use these mighty prayer books? Thanks!

Thanks for you all responding so fruitfully on my last post on how to get the TLM in my parish!!! I have just started using these forums and am greatly suprised how friendly and nice all are! Thanks and have a great week!

In Christ through Mary,
M :smiley:

http://angeluspress.org/image/cache/data/products/catalog419-800x800.jpg

Is the what you mean when you say you bought the “Divinum Officium” book?

Yup!!! That’s it! :slight_smile:

they are both the divine office just different types. The LOTH is the current full divine office while the other book is a shortened version of the Divine Office used before Vatican II. So the LOTH is the “novus ordo” while the divinum officum is the “tlm” of the divine office. I used to use the officum divinum and it only has3 of the 8 liturgical hours and does not include the offices for feast days. I think it is a good place to start from but if you decided you want the full verison Barnious Press makes the full verison of the traditional Divine Office but they are currently out of stock (and have been for a while).

I hope this helps pm me if u have any questions for I say the full traditional office.
God Bless!

I’m curious why you bought two different forms of the Office. Are you trying to decide which one you like better?

Yah, I guess I am a little confused why I bought both now too. Lol. Yah, hopefully now I will become more knowledgable about latin.

Does anyone know how to organize/setup both books or one?

Thanks!!!

Windmill will accuse me of sounding like a broken record here, but the Baronius Press version, while it is the licit pre-Vatican II Divine Office and still approved for use alongside the EF Mass, is not in any sense “traditional”. It is basically the same Divine Office that was promulgated by Pius X in 1910 and was, at the time, a fairly radical reform of the breviary. In fact many of the “controversial” elements of the current LOTH had their precedents set by Pius X 112 years ago; 112 years is short time by Catholic standards.

Among those elements:

Matins reduced from 12 to 9 psalms
Psalms divided into equal length sections that required the composition of new antiphons for which no traditional Gregorian melody existed
Splitting up of the 3 traditional “Laudate” psalms (148, 149 and 150) which always concluded Lauds since the time of St. Benedict (circa 500 A.D.)

Moreover Pius X, unlike Paul VI, banned the previous breviary.

The breviary of the Benedictines, even it its current post-Vatican II form (reformed liturgical year, etc.) on the other hand, has used the same basic psalter schema for 1500 years and I think has a much deeper claim on the notion of being “traditional”. It exists in both pre- and post-Vatican II versions depending on whether the community uses the EF Mass (a very small number) or the OF Mass (more common; there are also other post-Vatican II monastic breviaries that do diverge quite a bit from the original schema).

That’s not to say there’s anything wrong with using it: it’s perfectly licit especially if you normally attend the EF Mass, as it is more congruent with the EF liturgical calendar. But does not, IMHO, have a right to claim being “traditional”.

It’s also quite a bit more work than the LOTH… which I think in spite of its flaws (and I acknowledge there are some) is a brilliant reform that not only encourages lay participation but makes it feasible for busy working folks with families.

Where could I purchase a copy of The Officum Divinum?

Many versions of the traditional Divine Office along with the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Office of the Dead are available on this website.

:smiley:

**ThatOrthodoxGuy
**Where could I purchase a copy of The Officum Divinum?

Divinum Officium

Like clockwork, haha.

By simple arithmetic however, its still 2.67 times more traditional than the Pauline Mass. :wink:

Well the Pauline Mass and LOTH are of the same vintage, 1970. Assuming that Catholicism is 2012 years old, the LOTH was around for 2.1% of that time, and the 1910 Roman Breviary for 5.5%. Heck in equivalent human years, it’s still a young child, whereas the Benedictine Office is a venerable old grandfather :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.