LOTH ? On Feast of St. Matthew

I used the Divine Office app while reading my breviary. Couple questions:

1. Why are the Psalms for today found on Sunday Morning Prayer week 1?

2. Why are the prayers after the psalms not prayed? Is it because the Common of Apostles does not list a prayer to pray after the Psalm reading?

3. Lauds was my first prayer of the day. I prayed the invitatory first. After the invitatory and Psalm 95- Do I start with Hymn of Lauds or go straight into first Psalm for Lauds?

The Psalms for Sunday, Week 1, are used for feasts and solemnities. Before the LOTH was updated these psalms were in what was called The Common; and the antiphons were proper as to the feast.

As to #2, I think it is because there is no psalm-prayer listed.

#3. I go right into the prayers and skip the hymn, but that’s me.

There are others on CAF that are far wiser than I am about this and I’d listen to their advice, but perhaps this will get you started.

There is an AWESOME site, divineoffice.org that is very helpful. I refer to it all the time.

That is the site of the app I used…

Although, isn’t there? The way I understand it, all that happens on a feast is that the antiphons get replaced. If the psalm-prayers still exist in Sunday Week I, then why wouldn’t you pray them?

In response to #1 that doesn’t make sense. I’ve prayed feasts before and didn’t jump to Week 1 Sunday. How is one supposed to know that?

From Christian Prayer:

FEASTS (Nos. 231-234)
[LIST=1]
*]Evening Prayer I is said only on universal feasts of the Lod, followed then by Night Prayer as on Sunday after Evening Prayer I.
*]Morning Prayer: all as in the Proper of Commons, with psalms from the Sunday of the first week.
*]Evening Prayer: all as in the Proper or Commons.
*]Night Prayer: all from the current weekday.
[/LIST]

I hhave Christian Prayer and on Feasts and the like it will tell you on the page for the Feast to go to the page of First Sunday. for the psalms I was very confused my first Christmas week when I was praying the same psalms everyday. I thought it must be a mistake, I get it now but didn’t then

I have heard that the psalm prayers are not universal but are American or English. So I thought that might be why there aren’t always there for special days.

All psalm-prayers are optional, regardless of office.

The General Instruction and the Ordinary clearly state that in the office for Feasts, Psalms and antiphons, unless Proper, are taken from the Commons. The Commons for Morning Prayer direct you to Sunday Week I for Morning Prayer.

What!? I didn’t know this. Where is your reference?

The Ordinary of your book has this rubric for Morning Prayer:

“For solemnities and feasts, the psalms and canticle are taken from the first Sunday of the Psalter, the antiphons from the Proper of Saints or Commons.”

And from the General Instruction:

"134. On solemnities and feasts, during the Easter triduum, and on the days within the octaves of Easter and Christmas, proper psalms are assigned to the office of readings from those with a tradition of use at these times and their relevance is generally highlighted by the choice of antiphon. This is also the case at daytime prayer on certain solemnities of the Lord and during the octave of Easter. At morning prayer the psalms and canticle are taken from the Sunday of the Week I of the psalter. "

First of all, the General Instruction:

“112. Psalm-prayers for each psalm are given in the **supplement **to The Liturgy of the Hours as an aid to understanding them in a predominantly Christian way. An ancient tradition provides a model for their use: after the psalm a period of silence is observed, then the prayer gives a resume and resolution of the thoughts and aspirations of those praying the psalms.”

In addition, those psalm-prayers do not exist in the Latin typical edition, the UK English breviary and other breviaries in other languages. You may use them, but they are not required.

Also, my understanding is that in the upcoming retranslation of the Liturgy of the Hours, the Psalm-prayers will not be included.

I discovered another LOTH website that looks interesting. It’s coffeeandcanticles. This isn’t a link so you’d need to type it in the browser and let that figure it out.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.