LOTH Solemnity of St. Joseph

Do we say the alleluia, which is in parentheses, with the antiphons for the Psalms in the Common for Holy Men?

Excuse me , is this a serious question?
What do you mean? I can’t get it.
Peace.
Nohamaria:confused:

Hi, yes this is a serious question. Serious in that I would like to know the answer, but not real serious in that it is really not that big a deal.

Clarification (and correction from OP)
We don’t say “alleluia” in a liturgical context during Lent, but in praying the Liturgy of the Hours on the Solemnity of St. Joseph, the Antiphons for the Psalms end with “alleluia” in brackets, so I’m asking whether (or when, if ever), we would pray ending the antiphons with alleluia.
Thanks

The answer is “no”. We are still in Lent.

I don’t have a sacremental reply for you,
but , I can give you a logical one.
Sometimes I laugh and joke with God in lent time
Is this a sin? Someone once said to me that he feels
happy in Good Fridays,. Why ? Because he feels
saved by Jesus Cross. Is his feeling a sin.
Whatever is the time , Praising the Lord with every
good world , is never a sin. That’s my opinion
and am sure it’s right.
Peace
Nohamaria:)

That’s right, we don’t say the alleluias.

When I was praying the Office in the US, I asked a friend why the antiphons for the solemnity for St Joseph on Mar 19 have alleluias in parenthesis, since it always falls in Lent. After searching for a while, he replied that the same antiphons can also be used (and are referred to) for the memorial of St Joseph the Worker on May 1 ad libitum. That made a lot of sense.

Of course, now that I’m outside of the US and using the UK edition of the Office, there is a line which indicates that the alleluias in parenthesis are used only when the antiphons are used for the memorial of St Joseph the Worker on May 1.

Hope this clarifies.

I would look at what we do at Mass to see what we do in the LOTH. While it is a solemnity and we do pray the Gloria at Mass today, we don’t do the Alleluia because it is Lent. The same would hold for the LOTH. I prepared Morning Prayer for our staff retreat today and left out the Alleluia.

With all due respect the person was asking a question about the rubrics for a liturgical action, the praying of the Liturgy of the Hours, where this does matter. The LOH is the prayer of the entire Church and thus being in unity with others praying the LOH is important. LOH is public prayer (though often said privately), not private prayer.

Thread drift:

In other times of year what is the difference between the alleluia in parenthesis and the alleluia outside. For example the Sunday Evening Prayer II Canticle

Alleluia,
Salvation, glory, and power to our God
(R. Alleluia)
his judgments are honest and true.
R. Alleluia (alleluia).

Someplace I got the idea that the ones in parenthesis are to be used only when chanting the Office.

That is the rubric in Christian Prayer. :slight_smile:

Thanks to all for the help! I will again apply this knowledge to the Solemnity of the Annunciation :wink:

Excuse me. This is a serious question. I asked my priest this very same question at 8:30 Mass yesterday, after I already prayed MP and said the “Alleluias”. I figured it was unlikely that March 19 would occur anytime but during Lent, and since St. Joseph is so important and so holy, that the alleluias wouldn’t be in MP unless they were there to be said.

However, I got the same response from the priest: No alleluias during Lent. No exceptions. Not even for the foster father of Jesus. Sorry, St. Joseph.

Does anyone know of a year where March 19 doesn’t occur during Lent?

It can’t…Ash Wednesday can be as late as March 10, and Easter can occur as early as March 22. And, if Mar.19 occurs during Holy Week, the Solemnity is translated to the previous available day, while the Annunciation is translated forwards.

Thanks - Joe K.

Hi, I am truly very confused of the meaning of this
liturgical tradition : unvocaled alleluas during lent
time. To tell you the truth I recently aknowledge the
matter in this thread, and would request you to put
forth your query and try to explain it to us .
Allelua is a praise and joy hold to God. Why it is
unvocaled in lent? What is the good spiritual reason for that?:confused:
Please convince me if there is?
With my esteem to all the posters.
Peace and Good.

Lent is a season of penitence, and so we are to be subdued, as Jesus was in the desert. We prepare ourselves quietly to celebrate our most joyful season, Easter.

And it is an old and venerable tradition of the Church going back thousands of years. The Rule of St. Benedict (circa 500 AD) alludes to it.

In the pre-Vatican II days, the saying of alleluia actually stopped before Lent, at Septuagesima Sunday, third from the last Sunday before Lent.

Yes , I can respect this tradition since it is applied by the Saints
and the Church. However , I can guess that not every catholic
rite apply it e.g. Syriac, Greek Catholic… And I need more
information about the matter. But , to be honest , I can’t
find it necessary since lent time is a repentence time for
the soul who can exclaim too its joy for returning to God
and praising him. My humble opinion.
Thank you again for your friendly replies.
Have a blessed lent time.
Peace and Good .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.