Lots of youth at Latin Mass?

After a two hour drive (round trip), I finally got to celebrate the Latin Mass last Sunday. It was the Sung Mass and it was very, very beautiful!

One thing I noticed was how young the average parishiner was. There were more people in their 20’s, 30’s and 40’s, then in their 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. Also the priest was probably in his late 30’s or early 40’s.

Is this what you usually see when celebrating the E.O. form of the Mass?

Hello. I am 20 years old so count me in as one of the youth. :slight_smile:

At my parish we are an eclectic mix of ages. Yet nearby parishes who are particularly dedicated to the EF and are a part of the FSSP and Institute of Christ the King are predominantely young families and 20 to 30 year olds.

That’s great basinite. It would be interesting to see the demographics. I am pretty sure that it would indicate that the young are hungering for something more transcendent in their worship than is ordinarily being provided in the parishes in what is called the ordinary form. I know this is not what is meant by the expression “ordinary”. But the fact is, the “ordinary form” and its accompanying train of ideas isn’t good enough.

All of us, young and old, have a healthy instinctual desire, that if not crushed, is looking to participate in heavenly worship before we get there, in this life. This desire is to some degree, realized by worshipping in places with high ceilings, altar rails and beautifully ornate buildings. It takes something “extraordinary” to remind us of heaven while we are in a man-made worship space. Those who have overseen and silently approved of such places being wrecked and replaced are now an old generation, whose good instincts are subdued, and who are now sitting in Catholic auditoriums (listening places that offer little to please the eye) while their grown children aren’t interested. If they want to mumble “and also with you”, when the Latin says “et cum spituo”, it doesn’t much resonate in the souls of those whose youthful formations occurred this side of Woodstock. The young (born in 1956 or after, heh.) and all vigorous souls still want beautiful music, a transcendent “vertical” liturgy, a religious language, and a holy silence that helps them to be recollected before they must return to their lives in this noisy world.

I’m one of them too :slight_smile: Notice that there’s more of the extremes of the age spectrum, not as many middle-aged people. Hmmm… :smiley:

We’ve been spiritually starved all our lives. The moment God speaks to our hearts and calls us to holiness, our normal parishes, full of all things banal and unholy, are never enough.

I was out of town this Sunday and went to an FSSP parish… THREE priests under 35! And the parish packed full of young people. It was a wonderful thing to see! :slight_smile:

I’m 16 and I LOVE going to the TLM, and it seems the majority of the people at the TLM parish I go to are under 50.

Interesting, when I go it seems to be mostly middle-aged people! I see all the younger folks as they come out of the Latin OF that takes place earlier.

That is interesting! Still seems like the youth are leaning towards tradition anyways… and btw you’re incredibly blessed to have a Latin OF as well! Sounds like your priest is pretty in line with VII :slight_smile:

That’s at St. John Cantius – it’s not my regular parish, but Chicago is definitely blessed to have them here.

The presence of youth is a universally found phenomenom at EF Masses and has been since their return.Much has been reported along these lines for the past twenty years.

Nowhereman,
I think I attend the same FSSP parish that you do (when I’m not broke and doing the local OF).
I am not one of the “younger set”. My gray hairs are copius. But you are right there are lots of young families at N.A.M.

I was also out of town this week in oregon. i went to a beautifull Parish, St Thomas Becket, to a Latin Mass. the people were very young. couples with lots of kids. everyone was dressed modestly. all the women worn head covers. the Chapel was not that big but there were seven altar boys. there were two of them that reminded me of two angels. they were probably about 7 or 8 yrs old. there was no shortage of Altar boys that is for sure. it was very beautiful.

they prayed the Rosary before Mass and after the Mass we prayed the Benediction with the Priest. the Mass lasted about 2 hours. it was so beautifull that it did not bother me to stay in the Church for two hours. it seems that the time went by too quickly.

unlike the NO, where people just want it to be over soon. there is such an unrest behavior in the people in the NO Mass that makes me wonder.

in the Latin Mass, people dont seem to be in a hurry to get out of the Church. even after the priest leaves, people stay and pray.
Thanks be to God for His Church.

I remember when the Latin Mass in Pittsburgh was in its infancy. A radio talk show host (who was Catholic) ‘discovered’ the Church, calling it an ‘underground church’. It wasn’t, it was above ground on the South Side of Pittsburgh for all the world to see. One of the callers remarked “ah…its just filled with old people”. “Oh,” said the talk show host, “It’ll probably die out then.”
That was over thirty years ago, and it hasn’t.
Because it wasn’t ‘filled with old people’.

:smiley: Amen!!
I know one more young person who will be there this fall :slight_smile: This parish had gotta be the only one in Pittsburgh that will not be at risk of being closed. Only been once - almost daily I think back to it :slight_smile: WOW!

That was Our Lady of Fatima chapel. Father Leo Fredricks was the priest there then, A true saint. The Chapel is located in Carnegie now, just outside Pittsburgh. St Boniface is the one I go to when visiting relatives in the 'burg. :slight_smile:

My FSSP parish of St. Clement has tons of young people and young families. There are many youth groups and such things. The priests are young.

Ohh I didn’t know about that one… I was thinking St. Boniface. Any TLM deserves a WOW :smiley:

I’m 15, and I LOVE the Tridentine Mass! Went on a 45 minute trip just to attend it today!

It is all true. I am unbiased to admit demographics are younger for our ancient traditions, irregardless of language or eastern or western rites.

The majority of latin masses, ordinary, extraordinary…more traditional liturgies of any sort do have younger people in them, quite true.

As many people have pointed out before these are multiple reasons for this.

There is a generation gap factor. Youth see tradition with fresh eyes and no biases as some of the “baby boomers” did.

Also the amount of home schoolers and people having 8 children is obviously higher at the more traditional, more beautiful masses…So the self perpetuation is greater.

I do not fully understand the reasons but quite simply…it is timeless and going to be the wave of the future… whatever was wrong with masses in the earlier 20th century could not have warranted the degree of change that came out of the 1970s post vat II era, the post vat II era is proving itself to have been a trend, passing.

English will remain as a liturgical language but I would predict that by 2050 the difference between a vernacular and latin mass will be zero in terms of rubrics, smells and bells. We are again headed toward greater liturgical unity and purity according to all the under 45 year old seminarians and priests Ive met.

Sounds good. I believe that since Traditional families seem to have a higher birthrate that the TLM will continue and prosper well into the future.

Here is another thing. In many areas it takes a large sacrifice in time and travel expenses to go to a Traditional Latin Mass. There is a fervor and commitment to the Traditional Mass that doesn’t seem to be matched by those who assist at the Novus Ordo.

If it ever goes the other way round, and you have to travel to get to a Novus Ordo, will there be the same commitment? Would they be willing to sacrifice and fight to that degree for communion in the hand and the vernacular Mass? Would they drive two hours on Sundays because sadly enough, (from their perspective) the local pariishes have altar rails, beautiful architecture, communion on the tongue, no hand holding during the Our Father, ornate statuary, and the Mass that nourished Catholic sanctity until 1969? I know there are proponents of the Ordinary Mass, but I am not convinced that they have the same glow of the heart for it that Traditionalists have for the Extraordinary Form of the Mass.

Thanks for your testimony Catholic teen in Stockton. God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.