Lou Reed dies aged 71

The Telegraph:

Lou Reed dies aged 71

Lou Reed, the legendary US singer, songwriter and guitarist whose hits included Walk on the Wild Side and Perfect Day, has died aged 71. Pete Noble, his British publicist confirmed the news to The Telegraph after it was initially reported by Rolling Stone Magazine. An official statement from management will be released shortly.

The Brooklyn native, who embarked on a long solo career after initially finding fame with the band Velvet Underground, was widely regarded as one of the most influential rock musicians of the last half century.

Reed was believed to have been in poor health since he underwent a liver transplant in May. “It’s as serious as it gets,” his wife Laurie Anderson, the performance artist and musician, told The Times. “He was dying.”

Reed expressed his hope for his recovery after the operation. “I am a triumph of modern medicine, physics and chemistry,” he wrote. “I am bigger and stronger than stronger than ever.”

All the musicians are dying off, we’re left with Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga and the like.
RIP Lou Reed.

He played at the Jubilee concert in May 2000 for Pope John Paul II. I don’t know the forum rules for non-Catholic news sources, but that is showing up in some of the obits so it’s pretty well sourced.

RIP

:crossrc:

How is ‘Walk on the Wild Side’ that much different that the what Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus put out?

May God shine on him, and redeem him to life in Christ.
May the prays of those who mourn him and who have loved him be answered.

That song, in particular? Easy answer:
1.) The bass line. No comparison to LG/MC.
2.) The drop tuning on the guitar. No comparison.
3.) The session singers singing backup. No comparison.

Comparing Lou Reed to cough,cough… no comparison whatsoever. Not even in the same ballpark, let alone the same galaxy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.