Louisiana Court Order May Shut All But One Abortion Clinic

New Orleans appeals court order may force the closure of all but one abortion clinic in Louisiana unless the U.S. Supreme Court intervenes.
The appeals court on Wednesday blocked a federal judge’s order which had put on hold a Louisiana law requiring doctors who perform abortions to have local hospital admitting privileges. That would force three of the four abortion clinics in the state to close, according to the Center for Reproductive Rights.
Clinic supporters say they’ll immediately ask the U.S. Supreme Court to step in and keep the facilities open while the court challenge continues. The nation’s high court is scheduled to hear arguments over a similar Texas law next week.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-24/louisiana-court-order-may-shut-all-but-one-abortion-clinics

:thumbsup: close them all!

Amen.

As a Louisianian, I am glad.

I think requiring ‘admitting privileges’ is highly appropriate since it usually includes checks on their outpatient ‘surgery’ and the quality of care. However, the requirement should be achievable. If a doctor meets the requirements then a regional hospital must comply.

I say this because using this regulation as a Trojan horse to shut clinics will backfire.

Baton Rouge’s only abortion clinic shut down: wbrz.com/news/clinic-no-longer-performing-abortions-in-baton-rouge/

Two other clinics have referred patients elsewhere and put their services on hold in Bossier City:

theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/25/louisiana-appeals-court-ruling-abortion-clinics

Heh, all but one. I found it kind of arbitrary until reading more about the story that rather than every abortion clinic getting closed, one somehow still remains.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.