Louisiana floods destroy home of Christian leader who says God sends natural disasters to punish gay people

From a news article in the British newspaper the Independent:

A flood has destroyed the home of a Christian lobbyist who preached that God sends natural disasters to punish gays.

President of the controversial Christian group Family Research Council, Tony Perkins, described a deluge of “near biblical proportions” hitting his Louisiana home.

During a broadcast on the group’s radio station, he told how he and his family had fled in a canoe.

“This is a flood, I would have to say, of near biblical proportions,” he said.

The family had to set up home in a RV motor home.

independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/christian-home-destroyed-flood-tony-perkins-natural-disasters-gods-punishment-homosexuality-a7196786.html

Guess he’s gay. Looks like he has some repenting to do.

Of course Mr. Perkins has a different spin when he suffers from a natural disaster:

He said: “We’re gonna look for what God’s gonna do in this. I’m asking those questions and I’m going to see.”

Perkins manages to spin the event from a homosexual punishment into an opportunity for Christians to “use this as an incredible, encouraging spiritual exercise to take you to the next level in your walk with an almighty and gracious God who does all things well”.

huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/tony-perkins-lgbt_uk_57b57280e4b003ab6d0b53e3

Where did Perkins say God sends natural disasters to punish gay people?

I didn’t know geography of residence was indicative of sexual attraction. You learn something new every day!

If you want to avoid the sin of acting on homosexual attraction, don’t live in a flood plain I guess! :smiley:

snopes.com/2016/08/18/tony-perkins-flood-louisiana/

He didn’t say it, but a person he was interviewing said something like that, and he appeared to agree with it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.