Louisiana legislature passes 72-hour waiting period for abortions

(Reuters) - The Louisiana legislature on Wednesday passed a bill requiring women to wait three days before receiving an abortion, tripling the state’s existing waiting time in one of the most stringent regulations of its kind nationally.

Governor John Bel Edwards, a Democrat, has said he plans to sign the bill championed by anti-abortion groups. It passed with wide support from the Republican-controlled legislature.

The bill requires a woman to wait at least 72 hours after a state-mandated ultrasound for the procedure. The current waiting time is 24 hours, the same as in most states with waiting periods.

uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKCN0Y22NA?irpc=932

Governor John Bel Edwards, a Democrat, has said he plans to sign the bill championed by anti-abortion groups. It passed with wide support from the Republican-controlled legislature

Good for him!

:thumbsup:

How good! Although I’m sure most would agree that it’s still not where we need to be, this is a giant step in the right direction. My day just got a little better! Especially since today, my wife and I will see our first baby for the first time at the doctor’s office today (God willing). The Church will be triumphant, as all saints before us have been. :slight_smile:

It feels good that there are still pro-life democrats in office.

:gopray:

LA’s governor despite being a democrat is very pro-life and this shows why.

Thank you Lord. Prayers for all parents and babies.

One of the most exciting moments of my life. Good luck, and congrats!!

Pray to St. Gerard for your wife and a healthy baby!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Majella

Here is why John Bel Edwards is Governor:

John Bel Edwards TV Advertisement

The Republicans shot themselves in the foot. There were two other qualified candidates for the Republican nomination and Republicans chose the serial philanderer. John Bel Edwards simply had to pick the low hanging fruit and the election was his.

Thus why we now have a myriad of brand new taxes courtesy of the Edwards administration.

It didn’t help that Jindal was the previous Governor, he wasn’t like by many in the state (including conservatives), and Vitter was Jindal 2.0 in many ways.

Well he’s a Democrat and that is what they do.:slight_smile:

Out of fairness to Governor Bel Edwards, Bobby Jindal left the state in a perilous economic position to the point that several universities would have had to close, the TOPS scholarship fund would have been decimated, the levies to state hospitals would have been cut in half, etc. In short, the state would have ceased functioning.

I am glad that more efforts are underway to stop abortion.

Was raising taxes the right move in this situation, in your opinion?

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.