Louisiana passes a minimum marrying age 16 with parents ok

Well that’s a step in the right direction. Hubby’s Mom married young and so did his aunt. I believe he had a niece that had to have her parent’s permission to marry because of her age.

Because I’m in Europe, I can’t read the content at that link. The message I get appears at the end of this post.

What was the rule prior to this? (if any)

Our European visitors are important to us.

This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws

There was no minimum age for marrying.
But under age 18, the kid needed parental permission, and under age 16 needed some sort of state permission.

In America, the South has a reputation for its citizens marrying young. I’m not sure how true that is today, but it was true in ye olden days (although I don’t actually know how widespread, like I don’t have any statistics).

I wonder how this will affect immigrant population who have child marriages built into their culture.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I lived in South Carolina for a total of six years (three before I was 10 and three in my late 20s and early 30s). I do remember people tending to wed on the young side, though under 18 was rare.

I imagine that the new laws would make child marriages possible at age 16, but they will still be illegal if the child is 15 or younger…?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.