Love is an action, not an emotion, right?

I’m 99% sure the answer is yes but I want to be sure.

Why cannot it be both?

I never thought of that.

I think the problem is with the English language, we don’t have enough words to express the different dimensions of love as do many other languages.

That’s why if you study the scriptures in the Greek in which the New Testament was written, you will see the different levels or dimensions of love, but the love of God for man is Agape, the self sacrificing love of which there is no greater love. Agape goes beyond feeling or sentiment, the lesser dimensions of love, to the action of sacrifice.:thumbsup:

When we went through Retrouville, a Catholic marriage weekend for troubled marriages, love was put to us in this way. Love is a choice, because at times for the good of the other we must choose to love regardless of emotions or actions. Choosing to love is an action which can but doesn’t necessarily result in the emotion or as they put it in romance (which is the emotion).

In my humble view, love is multi-faceted.

Of love: Emotion is the antecendent and action is the consequence :slight_smile:

Of love: Emotion is the antecendent and action is the consequence

I agree completely. Too often people are saying that love is purely an act of the will, and I don’t believe that is always true…especially in a marriage.

When I think of how God commands us to love one another, then I can agree that love is an act of our will. Because there is no way on earth that I can possible have that *love emotion *for some of my neighbors and coworkers. But I can control my will to have my actions be of love towards them.

In personal relationships (families, marriages and even some friendships) I think the emotion of love is very important.

Terry

Love is an act of the will, one of the two principles of our souls: knowing and loving also called intellect and will.

The feelings associated with “love” are not the same type of thing that the Church talks about when she talks about love. They are transitory, and conditional. We have “love feelings” when things are good, when we are getting something out of the relationship. But, when there is a bad day, a cranky spouse, etc, it is not the “love feelings” that sustain us but rather an act of the will to love as Christ loves-- unconditionally.

The emotional feelings are not love. Love is something that is given (to another for their good). Emotions are something that we receive or experience interiorly, but that we can never give to another. However, good emotions can make it easier for us to show love for another.

Nita

Love:
storge - natural love for family (like parent /child love)
philia - Friendly love towards your neighbor
eros - Sexual/physcal love
agape- Self-giving love

I think storge and eros are usually feelings more than actions.

Loving your friends/neighbors is more something you must do without necessarily having an intense feeling.

Agape love I can see could be easily both a feeling and an action together.

I believe love is an emotion that can produce action.

Love is an act of the will.

homewardangel

Re: Love is an action, not an emotion, right?
Quote:Of love: Emotion is the antecendent and action is the consequence

I agree completely. Too often people are saying that love is purely an act of the will, and I don’t believe that is always true.

IKE
transitory, and conditional. We have “love feelings” when things are good, when we are getting something out of the relationship. But, when there is a bad day, a cranky spouse, etc, it is not the “love feelings” that sustain us but rather an act of the will to love as Christ loves-- unconditionally.

Nita

The emotional feelings are not love. Love is something that is given (to another for their good). Emotions are something that we receive

IKE I do not agree with you. Whenever I see a felllow human being in distress, whether or not I like or love that person, I feel for them emotionally and take a share in their suffering and often by that, end up loving them.

Nita, I am moved by the plight of others not out of will [sympathy] but out of emotional sharing of their plight or suffering [empathy]. Therefore, my emotions are separate from my act of will. I may ‘will’ not to like them but moved by my emotions I cannot resist not to love them and respond to their needs regardless of what my will tells me

IKE I do not agree with you. Whenever I see a felllow human being in distress, whether or not I like or love that person, I feel for them emotionally and take a share in their suffering and often by that, end up loving them.

Nita, I am moved by the plight of others not out of will [sympathy] but out of emotional sharing of their plight or suffering [empathy]. Therefore, my emotions are separate from my act of will. I may ‘will’ not to like them but moved by my emotions I cannot resist not to love them and respond to their needs regardless of what my will tells me

This is exactly how I am! And this is what allows me to feel like a “doormat” sometimes. (I know that being a doormat is different than love). But I can realize with my intellect that this person is a bad, a jerk, that they are getting what they deserve, ect… but my emotions still move me and sort of dictate my reaction to the situation. If that makes sense

Thanks that was put well

Terry

Re: Love is an action, not an emotion, right?
I do not agree with you. Whenever I see a felllow human being in distress, whether or not I like or love that person, I feel for them emotionally and take a share in their suffering and often by that, end up loving them.

Terry

homewardangel:
This is exactly how I am! And this is what allows me to feel like a “doormat” sometimes. (I know that being a doormat is different than love). But I can realize with my intellect that this person is a bad, a jerk, that they are getting what they deserve, ect… but my emotions still move me and sort of dictate my reaction to the situation. If that makes sense

Thanks that was put well

:thumbsup:

Emotion seems to be the ability to empathsise so that as you say, even if you will not to, it is very difficult not to go to the aid of the person empathised with. If not possible, then you instinctively pray for them.

It seems that when I interact with God at the emotional level [the emotion of love] then I am very close to Him and is where I receive the most Spiritual gifts. Also seems to be the key to ‘answered’ prayers by putting emotion into prayer…

Here is a link to the Catechism’s discussion on emotions (passions).

vatican.net/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a5.htm

In a nut shell, emotions are neither good nor evil. They gain a moral quality only when they are acted on (or not acted on) by the will. So they can be good if they incline us to do good and evil if they incline us to do evil. In the ideal situation (moral perfection) both will and emotions move toward the good.

As it applies to love, love is “to will the good of another”. Ideally, this should be accompanied by a complementary emotion. But that doesn’t mean that if we don’t “feel” loving, we are not being loving (willing the good of another).

Hope this helps.:slight_smile:

It is also possible to show love by willing the bad for another. One does not have to be ‘doing good’ to neighbour to justify love. One can also demonstrate love and still will their harm. It depends very much on the wider context of the action

I saw a very sick and perverse ad for Ford Ka. It involved unnecessary and avoidable suffering to an animal that was throttled and decapitated. I am working to bring about identity of the post originator in order to achieve a criminal conviction.

I will their harm [in bringing about a conviction] but am working for the greater good and welfare of animals.

Thus, out of love, I will their harm and downfall.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.