Love is patient, Love endures

Hi,

Did you find the right person for you in a young age?

Were your parents not as liberated and will not allow you to get married until you are in your 20s?

Did you date for more than two years before you got married?

Did you consider your dating years a great testament of patience and chastity?

Were you prevented to get married early because you are still in school and you don’t have enough money to start your own family?

Did you build your relationship according to the rules of the Church?

I did. And not yet married.

I hope I am not alone.

Some questions yes, some no. My wife and i met at a young age, 18 & 17. Dated for ~4 years through college. One parent didn’t like it. Best thing we ever did.

What country? In the US, 18 year olds can marry without parental permission (in some states it is younger).

Well, it’s a cultural thing. Parents care more for cultures than legalities of matters.

“Did you find the right person for you in a young age?”

Young is relative…

“Were your parents not as liberated and will not allow you to get married until you are in your 20s?”

My parents let me make that decision. Since I was 28 when I got married, wasn’t an issue.

"Did you date for more than two years before you got married?"
6 years

“Did you consider your dating years a great testament of patience and chastity?”

No

“Were you prevented to get married early because you are still in school and you don’t have enough money to start your own family?” No

“Did you build your relationship according to the rules of the Church?” We try each and every day.

I met my wife after grad school. I wanted to live MY life before commiting it to someone else.

When I was in HS I did not date anyone for more than a month. I saw the greif my friends went through with their GFs.

Yes.

Yup

We were both 27 and making gobs of $. We both had our own businesses.

Rules of God? Yes. Does the church really have dating rules?

Ok, so you seem to know what you want. Have you asked God what he wants? Are you willing to be open to his answer? The marriages that often end in divorce and/or violence are those not rooted in what God wants.

You are not alone! I assume from your post that you are young, as am I, 19 in fact. I have indeed found the right person for me even if we continue to discern to learn God’s will for us. We have been dating for 2.5year.

Lets see, her parents would want her to marry at 28 and mine after my schooling but leave it up to me( but they are far more understanding because they got married young). We consider this time the most difficult thing either of us has done. We consider it a time of extreme patience and chastity as we have followed every church teaching. We are both very devout Catholics.

Finally, school plays a big part. I am aiming for a PhD, so I won’t even make some money until I’m in masters, so you can think of some financial problems we would run into if we married this young.

My dad told me something that was so true. Do God’s will not your own. I said that I was tired of waiting, and he said that if God wanted it to happen, He would have provided for the situation already. No; God’s will for me know is to study. Me having a desire to marry early (even though I choose not to until after under graduate) is my will, but not necessarily God’s, and definitly not the best option.

Thanks for the thread. God bless.

If your talking about discernment, me and my bf are still continuing it even though there have been obvious signs that we are inclined towards marriage.
Every single night I am reminded that I am not yet with my bf, I pray to God asking Him why the situation is so and how I can endure the pains of not being with the person I want to spend my life with. After which, I wait for His answer and do everything I can to obey His commandments to make my relationship with my bf appealing to the eyes of God.

You’re welcome “for the thread.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.