Love is the measure of all things?

Does the Holy Bible describe love as the measure of all things?

I am unable to locate this concept in the Holy Bible.

Any help?

Please don’t laugh!

THANKS!

The two greatest commandments:
“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

“If you love me, keep my commands.”

“Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.”

“Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God, and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who loves not, does not know God, for God is love.” (1 John 4:7-8)

“Love one another as I have loved you.”

Sorry I don’t have time to look up the references for each verse.

The bigger question brought up by your question is this: What is LOVE?

Gertie

God is love.

Exactly. God IS LOVE! IS MERCY!

I saw also your thread about Justice or law as a measure.

I am not quite sure what you mean by “measure,” or “measure of all things,” but I think the answer is that love, law, and justice are all directed toward good, and therefore toward God.

The Old Law (Old Testament, Mosaic Law) was directed toward the good, but tended to emphasize the negative consequences of disobedience, sin, and evil. At the personal level, this meant dishonor, shame, punishment, banishment, or death. At the societal level, this meant military defeat, captivity, or exile.

The Old Law was not always negative. One counterexample which readily comes to mind is the commandment to “Honor your father and your mother, that you may have a long life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.”

The New Law (New Testament, Gospel) tends to emphasize love, forgiving others (even though this sometimes goes against our ideas of “justice”), God’s forgiveness (“Your sins are forgiven”), our repentance (“Go and sin no more”), peace (“Go in peace” and “Peace be with you”), and faith.

Of course the New Testament is not all lovey-dovey. There are more than a few passages about the fires of hell.

Is love the measure of all things? I don’t think so.

Are love, law, and justice measures of good? Yes.

Is love the measure of all that is good? Maybe. Let’s discuss!

Well - “measure of all things” is a pretty broad concept. I wouldn’t think we can use love to measure a pound of bacon…:smiley:

However - as a concept in the Bible…Jesus teaches that all of the law and the prophets are based on two great commandments - and these are founded on Love (Mt 22:36-40)

Jesus left us with a “new commandment” - that we Love one another (John 13:34-35).

Paul teaches that Love is the greatest and most essential virtue (1 Cor 13:1-13)

John tell us that if we know Love, we Know God (1 John 4:7-8)

Taken together - along with many other references to love, to care, to giving, etc…yes, Love is the measure of everything.

Peace
James

Yes, I think love is the measure of all things. To respond to you, I think that law and justice are measured by love, so they are secondary. We know something is just because it reflects love.

Might this saying come from these two verses?

Letter to the Ephesians, 3:18–-19: You may be able to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth, and length, and height, and depth: to know also the charity of Christ, which surpasseth knowledge, that you may be filled unto all the fulness of God.

Are they saying: You may be able to know the measurements, the love of Christ, in order to be filled completely with all that God has to offer.

That is a beautiful passage. Another interpretation of it: On the one hand we may possess knowledge, understanding, the measure of all things, the logic of all things. On the other hand, we may (with God’s help) know the love of Christ, that perfect love which is beyond all knowledge.

Reminds me of Isaiah 55:9:
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways,
my thoughts higher than your thoughts.

To explain what I mean by measure: an eye for an eye; tooth for toothe; wound for wound…

There is an equality.

I am looking for really explicit terms from the Holy Bible that includes measure, standard or the like.

I firmly believe that in Romans Abraham was measured by or against God’s love and God’s faith. That when one is judged by Jesus, we are measured by or against His love and His faith.

Thanks!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.