Love my new job (so far...)

I just went from teaching middle school to a DRE job in a local parish. So far, I really like it. I can go to Mass each morning before work (as well as do my morning prayers in the chapel before Mass!) The pastor wants good, solid formation for the kids and the RCIA candidates. And, from my office window, I can see the Blessed Mother statue and garden. :thumbsup:

Well done and begun. Begin again every day.

Thank you for your giving.

Sing Praises for his Blessings, for He is So Good!

May Our Lord continue to Bless you and keep you in Joy and zeal!

Thanks for Sharing!

This is awesome KCT! It is so nice to know that you will be teaching the Truth to the new Catholics and the next generation of Catholics. You are always so succinct and right on when you post here so I know you will be really good. Prayers for you and your new job.

What is DRE please?

Director of Religious Ed.:)

How many children in your program? Are you responsible for catechizing adults as well? I am not our DRE but I direct all adult catechetical and spiritual programs. Our DRE has an overwhelming job with over 1,000 kids in the program that I am going to ask the pastor if I can assist her in anyway, at least with the parent sessions. I also team teach a class for parents on Monday nights when the kids are in classes. Its a short class on a different topic each week. We are lucky that we have quite a number of staff and even parishioners with MAs in Theology (and one with a PhD in scripture) so we have some good instructors for the adults.

Hey, KCT. Glad to hear you've landed a job you like! Wish you all the best with it.

[quote="Joannm, post:7, topic:247202"]
How many children in your program? Are you responsible for catechizing adults as well? I am not our DRE but I direct all adult catechetical and spiritual programs. Our DRE has an overwhelming job with over 1,000 kids in the program that I am going to ask the pastor if I can assist her in anyway, at least with the parent sessions. I also team teach a class for parents on Monday nights when the kids are in classes. Its a short class on a different topic each week. We are lucky that we have quite a number of staff and even parishioners with MAs in Theology (and one with a PhD in scripture) so we have some good instructors for the adults.

[/quote]

I'm told around 185 or so in Sunday religious ed. I will be doing some work w/ RCIA and giving some formation to the catechists, but that's it for adults.

My degree is in education and I plan to start at least a masters certificate before too long. (possibly in Catechesis and Evangelization . . . the pastor is taking a look at the Augustine Institute program I'm considering) I need to get a handle on what my job entails before I start taking classes. :eek:

I am so grateful for the pastor. He is very solid and wants good formation for the kids and catechists. He commented yesterday that the diocesan formation for catechists has been rather "fluffy" and he wants better. :thumbsup: I promised I would take it slowly and not overwhelm them.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.