Love Your Enemies; an Article on These Words That Christ Said

This article concerns Jesus’ words “You have heard that it was said, ‘you shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”
see acatholicconvertinottawa.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/loving-our-enemies/

**Here in the USA we hundreds of ICBMs (armed with nuclear bombs) aimed at our Russian brothers and sisters on the other side of the world.
I have been calling for an end to this situation by the act of unilateral nuclear disarmament by the USA, an action that the voting citizens of the USA have it in their power to accomplish.

I have pointed out that our Lord’s admonitions-to love our enemies, return good for evil, and to always treat others as we would want them to treat us- seem to call for us to carry out such a disarmament.
But I get no agreement here on CAF, and I am apparently not even allowed to maintain a thread on Unilateral Nuclear Disarmament.

There are different ways to express your love for militarized adversaries. Unilateral disarmament may not be the most effective. Significant nuclear arms reductions have come about by other approaches, like talks aimed at finding common ground, and negotiating small, verifiable steps that build trust and lead to bilateral disarmament, though not complete disarmament for the foreseeable future.

Here’s another approach: Americans have adopted many thousands of abandoned Russian children from the orphanages in which they lived. I regard this as a tremendous corporal work of mercy, and it accomplished a sort of cooperation and cultural exchange between ordinary Americans and ordinary Russians. Sadly, international adoption has gotten heavily politicized in Russia, and they have practically shut it down. But it was good while it lasted, and I mean good for people, for children, and for the cause of peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.