love

Does love end?

[quote="theresaavey, post:1, topic:299151"]
Does love end?

[/quote]

True love endures...but is like a conversion process. It must be practiced. Just my thoughts.

God's love never ends.

Human love sometimes ends. That is to be regretted, unless of course the love was directed to something sinful.

Your question was very open-ended. Did you have something specific in mind?

If a human's love ends was it truly love to begin with?

[quote="wmw, post:4, topic:299151"]
If a human's love ends was it truly love to begin with?

[/quote]

Are you taking about romantic love or true christian love? We are called to love everyone...

It’s good to understand that in the English language, we use the word “Love,” for all expressions of love, but in Greek, especially in Scripture, there are four different words to describe love.

I did a quick search and found this to be the most basic explanation. There are better sources I’m sure.

Eros (ἔρως érōs) is passionate love, with sensual desire and longing. The Modern Greek word "erotas" means "(romantic) love". However, eros does not have to be sexual in nature. Eros can be interpreted as a love for someone whom you love more than the philia love of friendship. It can also apply to dating relationships as well as marriage. Plato refined his own definition. Although eros is initially felt for a person, with contemplation it becomes an appreciation of the beauty within that person, or even becomes appreciation of beauty itself. It should be noted Plato does not talk of physical attraction as a necessary part of love, hence the use of the word platonic to mean, "without physical attraction". Plato also said eros helps the soul recall knowledge of beauty, and contributes to an understanding of spiritual truth. Lovers and philosophers are all inspired to seek truth by eros. The most famous ancient work on the subject of eros is Plato's Symposium, which is a discussion among the students of Socrates on the nature of eros. 
Philia (φιλία philía), which means friendship in modern Greek, a dispassionate virtuous love, was a concept developed by Aristotle. It includes loyalty to friends, family, and community, and requires virtue, equality and familiarity. In ancient texts, philia denoted a general type of love, used for love between family, between friends, a desire or enjoyment of an activity, as well as between lovers. This is the only other word for "love" used in the ancient text of the New Testament besides agape, but even then it is used substantially less frequently. 
Agapē (ἀγάπη agápē) means "love" in modern day Greek, such as in the term s'agapo (Σ'αγαπώ), which means"I love you". In Ancient Greek it often refers to a general affection rather than the attraction suggested by "eros"; agape is used in ancient texts to denote feelings for a good meal, one's children, and the feelings for a spouse. It can be described as the feeling of being content or holding one in high regard. The verb appears in the New Testament describing, amongst other things, the relationship between Jesus and the beloved disciple. In biblical literature, its meaning and usage is illustrated by self-sacrificing, giving love to all--both friend and enemy. It is used in Matthew 22:39, "Love your neighbour as yourself," and in John 15:12, "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you," and in 1 John 4:8, "God is love." However, the word "agape" is not always used in the New Testament in a positive sense. II Timothy 4:10 uses the word in a negative sense. The Apostle Paul writes,"For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved (agapo) this present world...." Thus the word "agape" is not always used of a divine love or the love of God. Christian commentators have expanded the original Greek definition to encompass a total commitment or self-sacrificial love for the thing loved. Because of its frequency of use in the New Testament, Christian writers have developed a significant amount of theology based solely on the interpretation of this word. 
Storge (στοργή storgē) means "affection" in modern Greek; it is natural affection, like that felt by parents for offspring. Rarely used in ancient works, and then almost exclusively as a descriptor of relationships within the family.

wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_four_greek_words_for_love_and_their_meanings

When you understand the differences, you get a better grasp on just what love means.

Eros, will always pass away, which is why Agape is the purest form of love, the love God has for us which is unconditional.

Jim

[quote="JimR-OCDS, post:6, topic:299151"]
It's good to understand that in the English language, we use the word "Love," for all expressions of love, but in Greek, especially in Scripture, there are four different words to describe love.

Eros (ἔρως érōs) is passionate love, with sensual desire and longing. The Modern Greek word "erotas" means "(romantic) love". However, eros does not have to be sexual in nature. Eros can be interpreted as a love for someone whom you love more than the philia love of friendship. It can also apply to dating relationships as well as marriage. Plato refined his own definition. Although eros is initially felt for a person, with contemplation it becomes an appreciation of the beauty within that person, or even becomes appreciation of beauty itself. It should be noted Plato does not talk of physical attraction as a necessary part of love, hence the use of the word platonic to mean, "without physical attraction". Plato also said eros helps the soul recall knowledge of beauty, and contributes to an understanding of spiritual truth. Lovers and philosophers are all inspired to seek truth by eros. The most famous ancient work on the subject of eros is Plato's Symposium, which is a discussion among the students of Socrates on the nature of eros.

Philia (φιλία philía), which means friendship in modern Greek, a dispassionate virtuous love, was a concept developed by Aristotle. It includes loyalty to friends, family, and community, and requires virtue, equality and familiarity. In ancient texts, philia denoted a general type of love, used for love between family, between friends, a desire or enjoyment of an activity, as well as between lovers. This is the only other word for "love" used in the ancient text of the New Testament besides agape, but even then it is used substantially less frequently.

Agapē (ἀγάπη agápē) means "love" in modern day Greek, such as in the term s'agapo (Σ'αγαπώ), which means"I love you". In Ancient Greek it often refers to a general affection rather than the attraction suggested by "eros"; agape is used in ancient texts to denote feelings for a good meal, one's children, and the feelings for a spouse. It can be described as the feeling of being content or holding one in high regard. The verb appears in the New Testament describing, amongst other things, the relationship between Jesus and the beloved disciple. In biblical literature, its meaning and usage is illustrated by self-sacrificing, giving love to all--both friend and enemy. It is used in Matthew 22:39, "Love your neighbour as yourself," and in John 15:12, "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you," and in 1 John 4:8, "God is love." However, the word "agape" is not always used in the New Testament in a positive sense. II Timothy 4:10 uses the word in a negative sense. The Apostle Paul writes,"For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved (agapo) this present world...." Thus the word "agape" is not always used of a divine love or the love of God. Christian commentators have expanded the original Greek definition to encompass a total commitment or self-sacrificial love for the thing loved. Because of its frequency of use in the New Testament, Christian writers have developed a significant amount of theology based solely on the interpretation of this word.

Storge (στοργή storgē) means "affection" in modern Greek; it is natural affection, like that felt by parents for offspring. Rarely used in ancient works, and then almost exclusively as a descriptor of relationships within the family.

wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...their_meanings

I did a quick search and found this to be the most basic explanation. There are better sources I'm sure.

When you understand the differences, you get a better grasp on just what love means.

Eros, will always pass away, which is why Agape is the purest form of love, the love God has for us which is unconditional.

Jim

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

*First Epistle Of Saint Paul To The Corinthians Chapter 13: 1-13 *
drbo.org/chapter/53013.htm

Charity is to be preferred before all gifts.

[1] If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. [2] And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. [3] And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I should deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. [4] Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely; is not puffed up; [5] Is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger, thinketh no evil;

[6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth; [7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. [8] Charity never falleth away: whether prophecies shall be made void, or tongues shall cease, or knowledge shall be destroyed. [9] For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. [10] But when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away.

[11] When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child. But, when I became a man, I put away the things of a child. [12] We see now through a glass in a dark manner; but then face to face. Now I know in part; but then I shall know even as I am known. [13] And now there remain faith, hope, and charity, these three: but the greatest of these is charity.

Note: some Catholic bibles exchange the word Charity with the word Love.

No.

Because love is an action, not a feeling.
It is a chosen committment and way of living not a transitory emotion outside of one's control.

Christ told us to love our enemies. That our love is manifested in our actions. That is impossible to do if love is not a choice and an action.

Love is a verb, not a noun.

[quote="styrgwillidar, post:8, topic:299151"]
No.

Because love is an action, not a feeling.
It is a chosen committment and way of living not a transitory emotion outside of one's control.

Christ told us to love our enemies. That our love is manifested in our actions. That is impossible to do if love is not a choice and an action.

Love is a verb, not a noun.

[/quote]

The manifestation of Love goes beyond action and feeling.
newadvent.org/cathen/09397a.htm

[quote="superamazingman, post:5, topic:299151"]
Are you taking about romantic love or true christian love? We are called to love everyone...

[/quote]

The OP left the definition open and so does my question. Even if the OP is talking about Dating then my question points out the difference between loving a potential spouse and infatuation.

Love NEVER dies. It can change it's manifestations but it NEVER dies.

Sometimes love means "letting go" or making an "offering." Love can manifest in wonderful feelings of elation but it can also take the form of intense self-sacrifice. Take for example a mother who experiences floods of joy and affection for her infant upon his/her birth, for years she tends and cares for this child, often at great expense to herself. But eventually her child reaches maturity and she has to "give away" her child to another (spouse). It is with great self-sacrifice and surrender that she releases her beloved child to another so that her child can become what he/she is meant to be. The mother will pine and long for her child, possibly for the rest of her life. Does she stop loving her child because she gave him/her away? No. It is precisely her love that gives him/her away. She has to accept that her role in her child's life has changed not the love. Even should her child die, the love she has for her child never does.

It was God's love that gifted her with the child and her love for God that gives him/her back to God. Love comes to it's perfection in self-sacrifice.

Love requires the gift of yourself but often in a way we don't really WANT to give, in a way that hurts.

[quote="centurionguard, post:9, topic:299151"]
The manifestation of Love goes beyond action and feeling.
newadvent.org/cathen/09397a.htm

[/quote]

Thanks for the link.

I always use the song, Love Never Dies, to fathom what love is. The lyrics are very cheesy, but the music just completely fill the words with what love feels like.

And, when I get scared or feel sad, I actually unsecularize this song, as follows:

Who knows when love begins?
Who knows what makes it start?
One day it’s simply there, a life inside your heart
It slips into your thoughts
It infiltrates your soul
It takes you by surprise, then siezes full control

Try (not) to deny it, and try (not) to protest
But (His) love won’t let you go, once you’ve been posessed

(God’s) Love never dies, (His) love never falters
Once it has spoken, (His) love is yours
Love never fades, (God’s) love never alters
Hearts may get broken, (His) love (just) endures
Hearts may get broken, love endures

And soon as you submit
Surrender flesh and bone
That love takes on a life much bigger than your own
It uses you at whim
And (God) drives you to despair
And (He) forces you to feel more joy than you can bear

(God’s) Love gives you pleasure and (His) love brings you pain
And yet, when both are gone, love will still remain

(God’s) Love never dies, love never falters
Once it has spoken, love is yours
(His) Love never fades, love never alters
Life may be fleeting

(God’s) Love never dies, (His) love will continue
Love keeps on beating when you’re gone
(His) Love never dies, once it is in you(!)
Life may be fleeting, (God’s) love lives on
Life may be fleeting, (but His) love (just) lives on

True love never dies.

Fact.

Love is the only virtue that endures for all time.

Peter Kreeft's "Is there Sex in Heaven?" touches base on this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.