Love

“What a power is love! It is the most wonderful, the greatest of all living powers.
Love gives life to the lifeless. Love lights a flame in the heart that is cold. Love brings hope to the hopeless and gladdens the hearts of the sorrowful.
In the world of existence there is indeed no greater power than the power of love. When the heart of man is aglow with the flame of love, he is ready to sacrifice all—even his life. In the Gospel it is said God is love.” - Abdu’l-Baha, Paris Talks

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profiteth me nothing.
Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up;
doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
Love never faileth.” - Saint Paul, 1 Corinthians 13

This is very beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Love requires truth, and Bahá’í don’t have the truth because they acknowledge false spiritual gods in the form of false prophets.

And love and truth require charity. :wink:

Jon

The plain truth is that Christianity is a supremacist religion and does not take kindly to being admixed with false religion. What is the whole of the Old Testament about except a warning to avoid and the punishment attendant on religious syncretism? Baha’i would have been excommunicated by the apostles, of that there is no doubt at all. They are bur a parasitical sect, understanding nothing of Christ and his call to repentance.

I didn’t get the idea from Matthew Light’s OP that he was trying to “admix” here. He posted two quotes about love. I can’rt find any syncretism in that. :shrug:

Jon

Thank you for your kind response!

Appreciate it, Jon!

Here are another two quotes that move me deeply:

"Fear is not in love: but perfect love casteth out fear, because fear hath pain. And he that feareth, is not perfected in love. " - 1 John 4:18

“Love is a light that never dwelleth in a heart possessed by fear.” - Baha’u’llah, The Four Valleys

Baha’ use different religion’s scriptures to ingratiate themselves into those religions to preach a form of political communism. Fundamental Baha’i principles include the abolition of family in favour one’s family as the whole human race, which Christ denied, asserting that only those who obeyed him were of his family, and also equality of men and women, something that is also denied by 1 Cor 11;3 and cast as heresy in the “churches of God.”

Perhaps you could start a thread on that issue. :wink:

Jon

charlesby, why are you judging OP based on principles he has not agreed to adhere to? That puzzles me. It’s also wrong to say that non Christians cannot experience love because of lack of truth. The fullness of truth, we believe, is found within Christianity (and most members here would go further to say Catholicism has fullness of truth), but that doesn’t mean that other religions or sects don’t contain truth within them. So I’m pretty sure that love can be experienced by everyone in the world.

Matthew Light, I apologize for the mixed reactions here. What you have shared is beautiful:)

Beautiful words that were wriitten from a heart who “minds the Light”. Those words are a witness to the author of Johns gospel, " there is a true Light coming into the world that enlightens every man"…the same Light which we all bear a portion Speaks to each heart.

It is a Quaker belief that any voice that speaks Truth should be honored and listened to.

No voice in the Meeting is disregarded. The minority voice may speak Truth
when the majority are wrong…in Friends Meetings votes are not taken to determine our actions and policy…we govern ourselves by concensis…no Meeting action occurs by “majority”…but by seeking to discern the Mind Nd Will of God as a group who prays and discusses and then praying to be able to Listen clearly.

The True Light indwells each of us…the very Presence of Christ, so no voice is unworthy of recognizing Truth when many of us won’t Listen

The meaning of all words is ultimately contextual. “Love” to a devotee of the Babylonian goddess Ishtar has a rather different meaning from Christ’s injunction to “love one another as I have loved you.” Beautiful words can have hidden meanings. Quoting scripture out of context, or in the context of another religion that owns all manner of false prophets, is what Satan did to Christ. Just saying.

So true Publisher. Thank you! I went to a Quaker school and learned a great deal about spirituality through the example set by the Friends.

Thank you Quill and Sword. I appreciate all the kind comments!

Read this one again today:

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.” - Galatians 5:22-23

And some people think “love is not a feeling”. :shrug:
Case in point above re what you posted–a lot of feelings there, from the heart.
Thanks ML!
To sum up in the words of a modern-day poet, “Love is all ya need”.

You’ve got it all wrong.

Thank you Charles. I know you are sincere in your beliefs and you want to save souls from error and destruction. It is laudable that you seek to serve our Lord Jesus Christ in your life!

Love isn’t ONLY a feeling…but love is something we do…some of the posts do show a lot of feeling…but the words written are an embodiment of how the act of love is demonstrated in the words we use.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.