Loving Apologetics

I would like to address an issue I have been dealing with while doing internet Apologetic work.

We’ve all encountered it. We lovingly share our faith and our beliefs to refute the hatred that is being posted on some of the websites out there in cyberspace, only to be condemned to hell and spewed all kinds of twisted half-truths about our Catholic faith.

However, there seems to be something going on that I was not aware of. There are Catholics who are contacting these websites too, and are defending the Catholic Faith by using the same, arrogant, legalistic, triumphalistic, scare tactics used by the worst of Fundamentalists.

I am not a professional apologist, but I would suggest that if you feel your pride gets the best of you, and you have trouble keeping yourself from lashing out to anti-Catholics, then maybe you shouldn’t be doing this work. Not yet, anyhow. I would begin by spending more time in prayer, and ask the Lord to help you to overcome these vices. He will.

“If I have the gift of prophesy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.”

I hope I am not offending anyone, however, I am finding that in some cases, these well meaning apologists are doing more harm than good. Leaving the rest of us to do damage control.

God Bless You!

[quote=auntieneeker]I would like to address an issue I have been dealing with while doing internet Apologetic work.

However, there seems to be something going on that I was not aware of. There are Catholics who are contacting these websites too, and are defending the Catholic Faith by using the same, arrogant, legalistic, triumphalistic, scare tactics used by the worst of Fundamentalists.

I am not a professional apologist, but I would suggest that if you feel your pride gets the best of you, and you have trouble keeping yourself from lashing out to anti-Catholics, then maybe you shouldn’t be doing this work.
[/quote]

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: OK, I confess. I occasionally “bite back” – but I don’t go to a Protestant web site, I confine my “tempers” to repeated assaults by anti-Catholic Rottweilers who come here with their red-eyed attacks.

That repented, confessed and absolved, I say, YES! You are correct. Patience, humility, consistency, clarity. Those should be our tools. We can be firm without being nasty. Sometimes, after someone repeatedly ignores plain Catholic teaching, continually accusing us of all kinds of nonsense, we must call them on their motives. But even that can be done without vitriol.

[quote=auntieneeker]Leaving the rest of us to do damage control.
God Bless You!
[/quote]

There are some who have malicious intent of course. But then we already know everyone we meet will be of a different initial attitude.

I see genuine heretics as the most prized opposition, others feel they should be excommunicated. I could never understand the ready willingness to give up on anyone, the premature shaking the dust from sandals. I feel their ultimate conversion would be the most rewarding and challenging.

The atheist is inquisitive, and I find these people are drawn to religious boards because the Holy Spirit creates a thirst in them that could well be manifested as determination to prove God does not exist. The reality is they see God existing, and they want proof He doesn’t exist. These are seeking Faith although they themselves cannot describe it as such. They are seeking the elusive proof, but in reality they want peace through Faith.

What is important is the Catholic attitude. There are two conveyances in a conversation. One conveys the point, and other is attitude charity, tolerance and patience. There is more to be gained by being truthful. One should state “I admit this may not be according to my Church dogma, but” or " I’ll look it up as I’m not too sure…" conveys more that the Catholic speaking is one at peace and cares that the recipient obtains correct opinions. One should admit if a particular sentence the opposition states makes sense.

The Faith doesn’t need defending. We need to get from behind the ramparts and get on the offensive. We need to pick up our staff and move away from the security of the inner walls and use any means available to persuade with kindness, tolerance,charity and humility. The outcome is less important a concern than the attitude.

We are reassured that when Christ set up his Church, no one could ever remove the corner stone. This is one Temple that cannot be destroyed. If all the Catholics were destroyed, the Church would still exist.

Andy

This Rock magazine had a good article on this a couple of issues back. Here’s the link:

Are You ‘The Catholic Answer Man’?
Avoiding the Sin of Apologetical Pride

By Mark Brumley

catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0209fea4.asp

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.