loving others

Can someone clarify what Jesus means when he tells us to love everyone? How is this possibble, am I suppossed to love Hitler as I love myself, family, and friends?

I can only tell you what helps me.You can hate the evil that people do,and you will have emotional interference sometimes,but I think about the crucifixion and the Jesus died for everyone and if these people do not repent and allow Jesus to save their soul,for that personall Jesus did was in vain by their own choice.Also, I think if it wasn’t for the grace of God I might have been a Hitler,I could have been duped by satan myself,and I try to pray for these people,maybe if someone had prayed for Hitler,he would not have become a monster.God Bless

[quote=villaneweva]Can someone clarify what Jesus means when he tells us to love everyone? How is this possibble, am I suppossed to love Hitler as I love myself, family, and friends?
[/quote]

Basically, yes. Although I think you can certainly love people such as your family more than that standard though. I’m not sure about this, but I am sure that you have to love Hitler at least a little. You don’t have to approve of him, but you’re not justified to hate him.

[quote=Adam Costanzo]***. I’m not sure about this, but I am sure that you have to love Hitler at least a little. You don’t have to approve of him, but you’re not justified to hate him.***
[/quote]

Yes, but aren’t we commanded by Jesus to love EVERYONE as we love ourselves?

hate the sin love the sinners. what we hate is the sin Hitler committed. you should never hope for violent deaths of your enemies. pray God may make them repent (suppose you’re right)

[quote=villaneweva]Yes, but aren’t we commanded by Jesus to love EVERYONE as we love ourselves?
[/quote]

I think your equating emotional feelings with your family and expectiong to have that feeling with a stranger.You try to see all people through the eyes of Christ,and see that He had them in my before they were born and loves them as much as he loves you.God Bless

Someone once told me that love is an action not a feeling. That advice has helped me a lot lately since I care for an elderly relative who isn’t particularly kind or loving towards me but still needs help with day to day living.

[quote=abcdefg]hate the sin love the sinners. what we hate is the sin Hitler committed. you should never hope for violent deaths of your enemies. pray God may make them repent (suppose you’re right)
[/quote]

A lot of people say Hitler never repented at all when he and Eve blew their brains out. Ted Bundy, Timmy Mc Veigh, Saddam’s children and all those terrorists that flew the planes into the WTC, the Pentagon, et al NEVER repented @ all. I was depressed upon hearing people say that.

[quote=777]A lot of people say Hitler never repented at all when he and Eve blew their brains out. Ted Bundy, Timmy Mc Veigh, Saddam’s children and all those terrorists that flew the planes into the WTC, the Pentagon, et al NEVER repented @ all. I was depressed upon hearing people say that.
[/quote]

Love can be as simple as allowing God to pass the ultimate judgement on people such as these, because we really cannot know if Hitler or Eva Braun or Timothy McVeigh repented or not. We cannot know either if their contrition was perfect or imperfect. God has not given us the ability to know this. What we can judge only are the actions these people committed, not the people themselves. This then would be the loving thing God asks of us.

[quote=stillsearching]Love can be as simple as allowing God to pass the ultimate judgement on people such as these, because we really cannot know if Hitler or Eva Braun or Timmy McVeigh repented or not. We cannot know either if their contrition was perfect or imperfect. God has not given us the ability to know this. What we can judge only are the actions these people committed, not the people themselves. This then would be the loving thing God asks of us.
[/quote]

Can you prove it? Anyhow, tell that to my folks, who not only rejoiced at the fates that awaited Timmy, Hitler, Eve Bruan, Saddam, Osama, Scott Peterson, the one that murdered Samantha Runyun, Ted Bundy, all the terrorists that crashed the planes, et al, they also went so far to–GASP-- pull out the bubbly to celebrate their deaths. They also said they would NEVER pray for them and that they hoped they would get no chance to repentence and head stright to hell. What’s someone like me to do? Please help…

We are only commanded to love everyone; we don’t necessarily have to like them.

Point is…we do not know what was in the hearts of these people, just as we do not know what is in the heart of anyone. We are all God’s children so we are all family…God’s family and yes we can show them love but hate their sin. Do you hate your child when they sin? No we correct them out of love. Teach them why what they did was wrong and support them. We can hate what Hitler et al did yet love them as our brother or sister in Christ. That is what Christ would do…remember the prostitute? Did Christ condemn her? No, he told her to go and sin no more…he showed love and mercy. We are called to act “Christ-like” so shouldn’t we do the same?

A Homily of Fr. Matthew Kelty, O.C.S.O. for the 26th Sunday of the Year ©, 2004*:*** (Lk 16**:**19-31)]
A Bit Much !

This Homily by Fr. Kelty says it all.

Fr. Angelus on EWTN explains that to love everyone can be as simple as praying for their conversion.

[quote=SueG]Fr. Angelus on EWTN explains that to love everyone can be as simple as praying for their conversion.
[/quote]

I think that he also says to acknowledge their dignity as a fellow human being by showing kindness, i.e., a simple hello…:yup:

[quote=777]Can you prove it? Anyhow, tell that to my folks, who not only rejoiced at the fates that awaited Timmy, Hitler, Eve Bruan, Saddam, Osama, Scott Peterson, the one that murdered Samantha Runyun, Ted Bundy, all the terrorists that crashed the planes, et al, they also went so far to–GASP-- pull out the bubbly to celebrate their deaths. They also said they would NEVER pray for them and that they hoped they would get no chance to repentence and head stright to hell. What’s someone like me to do? Please help…
[/quote]

You love and respect their opinion too, and do not judge them for it.

To be perfect, we do not judge Hitler. That doesn’t give us license to deny others their free will to judge him.

Now if a crazed person on heroin or something comes after me with a knife and I have a gun and I think he’s going to kill me if I don’t shoot him first, then if I shoot him in self-protection I have not murdered according to the Catechism. I will not judge the dead man as having been evil, just having threatened me in a way to cause me to react as I did. Gosh, for all I know he could have been brainwashed by an evil terrorist group to come after me; I don’t know but I’m not going to judge him.

Alan

[quote=BlestOne]Point is…we do not know what was in the hearts of these people, just as we do not know what is in the heart of anyone. We are all God’s children so we are all family…God’s family and yes we can show them love but hate their sin. Do you hate your child when they sin? No we correct them out of love. Teach them why what they did was wrong and support them. We can hate what Hitler et al did yet love them as our brother or sister in Christ. That is what Christ would do…remember the prostitute? Did Christ condemn her? No, he told her to go and sin no more…he showed love and mercy. We are called to act “Christ-like” so shouldn’t we do the same?
[/quote]

The only thing that is in the heart is blood–A, AB. B, O & RH.

[quote=AlanFromWichita]You love and respect their opinion too, and do not judge them for it.

To be perfect, we do not judge Hitler. That doesn’t give us license to deny others their free will to judge him.

Now if a crazed person on heroin or something comes after me with a knife and I have a gun and I think s/he’s going to kill me if I don’t shoot him/her first, then if I shoot him/her in self-protection I have not murdered according to the Catechism. I will not judge the dead wo/man as having been evil, just having threatened me in a way to cause me to react as I did. Gosh, for all I know s/he could have been brainwashed by an evil terrorist group to come after me; I don’t know but I’m not going to judge him/her.

Alan
[/quote]

But in shooting dead a person like that, you also in the process, deny him/her a chance to repent, to allow that person to die in sin.

[quote=Annunciata]I think that he also says to acknowledge their dignity as a fellow human being by showing kindness, i.e., a simple hello…:yup:
[/quote]

Perfect answer, I think.
I think we must remember that when Hitler was alive, the Lord loved him and Jesus died for him just as he did for all of us. God wants everyone to be saved. He started out just like we all did. In fact, if the reports I have heard are true, he was Baptized early in his life. He had choices to make and he made bad ones and then at some point, it would appear that he started showing signs of a demonic person. He exhibited extreme forms of evil, just as the atheist, Stalin did and just as Husain has.
At some point these folks seem to embrace evil.
I think WHILE THEY ARE ALIVE we need to pray for their conversion. After that, they are at the mercy of God.
We need to love everyone, Love is a decision. We do not have to like them, we have no choice in that. We must pray for them.

[quote=Annunciata]I think that he also says to acknowledge their dignity as a fellow human being by showing kindness, i.e., a simple hello…:yup:
[/quote]

I knew I forgot something. Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.