Loyal Order of the Moose

For quite a few years I was a member of the Women of the Moose, mainly b/c a close family member was very involved in the organization. I didn’t think it was forbidden for Catholics to join the Moose, but now I’m reading on the internet that while they are not masonic, they are patterned after the masons. Does anyone know if it’s forbidden for Catholics to join the Moose? I am copying and pasting part of the induction ceremony: "Everyone will please rise. It is now nine o clock. At this time the little children at Mooseheart kneel at their beds to say their evening prayers. Let us face toward Mooseheart, fold our arms, bow our heads and join them in silent prayer.
The lights are turned low and chimes sound slowly nine times. After the ninth stroke the Governor continues.
Repeat after me: Let the little children come to me… repeat do not keep them away… repeat
for they are like the kingdom of Heaven… repeat God bless Mooseheart… repeat Amen…
“Give your full attention to the obligation you are about to receive. Once taken, it shall bind you to us, and us to you, for all time:
In the presence of the Supreme Being and those gathered here, I pledge that I will obey the laws of the Loyal Order of Moose, and the By-laws of the Lodge of which I am to become a member.
The candidates will please rise. pause Place your left hand over your heart, raise your right hand and repeat after me, using your name where I use mine.
I, …, —freely and without reservation accept the honor — and obligation of membership in the Loyal Order of Moose. I pledge my service to my Brothers, and to all members of this Order — this obligation — will bind me for all times.
Give your full attention to the obligation you are about to receive. Once taken, it shall bind you to us, and us to you, for all time:
In the presence of the Supreme Being and those gathered here, I pledge that I will obey the laws of the Loyal Order of Moose, and the By-laws of the Lodge of which I am to become a member…”

[size=][FONT=“Comic Sans MS”]Obviously I took an oath, but I wasn’t baptized at the time. But I was a member of the organization for quite a few years after my baptism. Should I just forget about it or is this something I should confess? Or am I just being scrupulous?
[/size][/FONT]

During your RCIA process you reflected on and repented for your sins, right? And all of your sins prior to your Baptism were forgiven when you were baptized.

If you are concerned about your Moose membership after you joined the Church, please talk with your priest about it – he can give you guidance about whether you should confess.
But I’m glad you’ve quit! The organization seems to be involved with some good charitable efforts. But its support of the March of Dimes and perhaps other organizations violating Catholic teachings is not good. Please support charities which aren’t ethically questionable.

Besides being a funny name for an order, what exactly is wrong with the order of the moose?Looks pretty normal to me :shrug:

I am a member of the WOTM and feel just fine about it.

It seems funny to me, al lthis talk of the “Supreme Being” rings alarm bells for me. I dont really know enougth but if it is modeled after the Masons then it will have large amounts of philosophical problems and also there is the risk of herasies such as indifiratism.

Yes, clearly in this day and age that’s what we need to worry about, philosophical banter and heresies :rolleyes:

I was a member of the Loyal Order of the Moose. I was Catholic at the time. I didn´t know that The Church taught us against it. I still don´t. I´m not a member anymore. I feel no guilt. Should you quit? Ask a Priest what The Church says on this. Do what He says. God bless

I haven’t been a member for about 3-4 years. The club couldn’t raise enough money to stay open, and there is no longer a chapter in my town anyway. I wasn’t that involved in the group. I once held a chair but that was many years ago. I mainly went to the club for supper, etc. I guess I’m mainly concerned about the “oath” I took. If there was anything wrong with taking that oath, it was forgiven at my baptism. And I probably never gave it a second thought in all those years. But I had a reversion experience two years ago, and I still sometimes remember things from my past that I had forgotten. I found this oath on the internet. I don’t like that I’m “bound to them forever.” I would NEVER take an oath like that now. I’ve been to confession many times in the past two years, so I know it’s all forgiven if there was even anything wrong with it. But I’m just wondering if I should confess it next time. Doesn’t an oath stand forever? Or is this just silly?

[FONT=“Comic Sans MS”]And I just found this on the internet–that this is also included in the oath: "I, [Name], solemnly promise that I will not in any manner communicate or disclose or give any information concerning anything I may hereafter hear, see or experience in this lodge or in any other lodge of the Loyal Order of Moose unless it be to one whom I know to be a Loyal Moose in good standing By this vow I bind myself for all time. Amen. Here is the link: .stichtingargus.nl/vrijmetselarij/moose_en.html
I like this even less. My husband wasn’t a member, and I’m sure I disclosed to him things that happened at the lodge. Also, my son probably overheard a lot as well. To be honest, I remember very little about the induction ceremony/oath. I doubt if it meant a whole lot to me at the time. I wouldn’t have even joined if it hadn’t been for a close family member’s involvement. So if I did tell my husband or anyone else anything about what happened at the Moose, I had long forgotten the oath I had made. Furthermore, am I now breaking the oath by making this post?/FONT]

I found more of the oath on this website: stichtingargus.nl/vrijmetselarij/moose_en.html
“The candidates must (as usual) affirm belief in a supreme being and express their willingness to assume the obligation. The oath, taken with left hand over heart and right hand raised, is as follows:
I, [Name], solemnly promise that I will not in any manner communicate or disclose or give any information concerning anything I may hereafter hear, see or experience in this lodge or in any other lodge of the Loyal Order of Moose unless it be to one whom I know to be a Loyal Moose in good standing By this vow I bind myself for all time. Amen.” There’s more, such as agreeing to be tolerant of how others worship. You get the idea.

I like this even less, as I’m sure I revealed things that happened at the lodge even to my husband. To be honest, I don’t remember that much about the induction ceremony or what was said in the oath. I doubt if I gave it much thought ever again…until now. And I wonder if I’m sinning by breaking the oath now by revealing these things on CAF?

Yes it is precisly what we need to worry about as herasy is a mortal sin and error can impede someone on the route to Heaven.

To the OP: Dont worry about the Oath even if it was binding (and I would wonder if it was) it would have been removed at youre baptism. Though it is probably best not to go about talking about/recalling it too much for other reasons.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Oh my gosh. My grandfather was a member.

I thought it was a drinking club.

He used to say, “I’m going to the Moose Club.” And he would come back drunk, smelling of beer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you! That makes sense–that every bad oath would be wiped away at baptism. I can’t imagine God would be pleased with this type of oath–it may not be masonic but it sure seems “masonic-like” to me. But if I told God yesterday after I made an act of contrition that I would go to Confession and have my pastor give me dispensation for this oath (break ties), do I still need to do that? I didn’t say the words “I promise”, but I’m always afraid I am going to break a promise to God. What “other reasons” are you referring to? Do you mean I shouldn’t talk about it anymore b/c it upsets me?

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/Smileys/fishy/hellosmiley.gif     http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/Smileys/fishy/venetianloverssmiley.gif     http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/Smileys/fishy/jestera.gif       http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/Smileys/fishy/grandma.gif        http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/Smileys/fishy/titanic.gif    http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/Smileys/fishy/drowning.gif     http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/Smileys/fishy/bonfire.gif       http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/Smileys/fishy/bubbles.gif

Well if you have said to Our Lord you would talk to your Pastor then there is no reason why you can’t just bring it up casually in confession, maybe something like “Oh Father just thought I would mention that before my baptism I was involved in a secret society it only just occurred to me to confess it. I took an oath of secrecy when I joined, I don’t think it still binds, if it ever has, but if so I wish it to be dispensed/removed”

You did not make a vow or oath as far as I can tell to bring it up (which means you are not under “Obligation of religion” to do so) but if there is no harm in doing so we might as well do what we say we will do. It will also set your mind at rest as I suspect you may have a risk of falling into scrupulosity, so it’s best to avoid occasions that could lead to that acting up over something.

Well there are plenty of reasons not to talk about certain things in our past life, I myself am a convert and have done many things I am not proud of. Generally it is best not to dwell on these things as it can lead to regrets, reminiscing, or if said to the wrong person scandal or weakening of our reputation. We have put our old lives behind us and we should try to move on and have a clean break with the past.

I am trying to avoid going into complicated detail about stuff but if you want the details about why I hold these opinions I can PM you my sources etc.

Slight diversion – this thread reminds me of an ancient joke:

Billy [proudly]: My dad is an Elk, a Moose, and a Lion!

Jimmy: Gee! How much does it cost to see him?!?!

:smiley:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I cannot believe it. I remember something about the Elk’s too. Maybe my Grandfather drank there too. :shrug: I’m not sure. But it sounds familiar.

I know he wasn’t a Lion. I think there would have been way to service minded for him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.