Lucid Dreaming

Hello everyone, I have an issue I need help with. A few days ago I had a dream in which I suddenly realized I was dreaming. As soon as thi happened, I was able to consciously control what I did and what happened. After this, I did some research and found out that I was lucid dreaming. I did not do anything to encourage it, it just happened. But now I am interested in actively using some techniques that increase your chances I lucid dreaming. I won’t get into great detail but some include improving dream recall, and training your subconscious, etc. There are studies that show that practicing certain things in lucid dreaming, such as a language you are learning, can actually help in real life. They also show that they can help you overcome phobias or fears, such as fear of spiders or public speaking. So I plan to use lucid dreams for this, and other positive things. I don’t plan to do any immoral things.

I want to know what the church teaching on this is and if it morally correct, before I continue anymore. I have started on the techniques, and there is nothing I see wrong with it, but I want to clarify before I continue. Thanks in advance.

Lucid dreaming, like the dream function itself, is a natural function of your body.

There are no Church teachings officially on this, as it is a matter of physiology rather than morals.

ICXC NIKA

I have had lucid dreams, but not recently. For me, seeing an airplane crash or a tornado was usually a trigger that I was dreaming (4/27/2011 finished that!), and that I could take control of the dream. In my bad old days I would take control to do things that I would never do in real life. Now I realize that if I am in control, then I am responsible, so I don’t go in those old directions any more.

In any case, for me, having a lucid dream also means that I am close to waking up.

The Catholic Church’s policy about Lucid Dreaming?

The quick-and-easy answer is : They don’t a policy about Dreaming at all (much less Lucid Dreaming).
But, I suspect that you already knew that.

Most of your Post was a Commercial about other things that you could possibly attain.
It sounds like you are trying to indoctrinate us all into your new Hobby.

Lucid Dreaming is just another form of Day-dreaming.
The “studies” you cite are mostly just ordinary people saying that they can do something special with their Dreaming.
(Maybe that is True for a couple people, but it is not a general gimmick for most of us.)
No scientists there, no psychologists there … (maybe) a lot of Crack-pots there.
You are portraying it as a panacea. Yawn.

I had my first Lucid Dream about 25 years ago.
Mostly, it is NO big thing.
I realize that I am Dreaming (because of something happening that is impossible for my Life).
Poof, the Lucid Dream begins.
Then, what can you do at that point? After all, you are asleep.
I have re-started, with a new scene of action, and new characters.
And, sometimes, I (somehow) can create a Spiritual situation.
But dreaming is dreaming.
When you wake up, all you have is a Memory of what you dreamed about.

This is the same concept people did in the 1970s.
You get a CD of a Language you want to learn, and play it all night (under your Pillow), so you can learn faster.
It had mixed results, at Best.
Others, listened to uplifting readings … to feel uplifted after they wake up.
Also, not a thing that worked very well.
That is why nobody (or almost nobody) does that direct-to-Subconscious gimmick anymore.

4/27/11??

Icxc nika

You are confusing lucid dreaming (which is a real sleep phenomenon) with subliminal learning (which is a phony concept used by some charlatans as a money tree). Please stay on topic.

DaveBj replies to my Post** : “You are confusing lucid dreaming (which is a real sleep phenomenon) with subliminal learning (which is a phony concept used by some charlatans as a money tree). Please stay on topic.”
If you would read the rest of my Post, you will see that I (separately) discuss subliminal learning.

Actually there is legitimate scientific study on lucid dreaming. Yes, most of the stuff out there on the web is just a bunch of exaggeration and/or hogwash, but that shouldn’t discredit the real studies that have been done.

My first introduction to lucid dreaming was a book by Steven LaBerge, who actually acquired his PhD through the study of lucid dreams. He discusses his studies, describing how he used labratory environments and equipment to examine the reality and nature of lucid dreaming. He also explains how the use of lucid dreaming has actually helped some people deal with various (albeit minor) psychological issues, such as lessening the strength of phobias and bring closure to emotional problems.

Most people just write lucid dreaming off as psuedoscience or new age hooha. I don’t blame them, because that’s what you’ll generally find when you start looking into lucid dreaming, since the concept fits so easily into people’s fantasies of unlocking self mastery and potential “power” and whatnot.

Another problem with lucid dreaming’s credibility is that it just doesn’t plain work for most people. Some people can achieve lucid dreaming, but don’t find it produces any effect on their lives, let alone positive benefits. Even more people can’t even achive lucid dreaming in the first place. I think it’s simply one of those things that can be useful for a small percentage of people who just happen to have the type of mind that can be benefitted from the practice, but it’s largely useless to the majority of people.

I tried it for a couple of years, myself. I’m the type who never remembers his dreams, so I had to work on being able to recall my dreams upon waking for quite some time. This consists of writing down your dreams immeditely upon waking as a discipline. At first the entries came very sparringly, but it picked up after a couple of months. Eventually I started waking up and finding entries I had written in the middle of the night without remembering having done so, but the memory of the dream (and the subsequent journalling of such) quickly returned when I read the entry. These occurrences were what really strengthened my ability to remember dreams.

I can say that “dream recall,” or whatever you want to call it, can very much be a skill to be dveloped for some people. It definitely was for me. Up untill I started practicing this, I could count the number of dreams I remembered each year on one hand. After a year of writing my dreams down, I was remembering my dreams with ease and clarity almost every day. I say “was” because I gave up the practice and within a couple of months my dream recalling ability all but disappeared. So, for me at least, it is very much a “use it or lose it” type of skill.

As for the actual practice of lucid dreaming, I had very little success. I achieved lucidity only six times in roughly two years of practice. The first couple of times, the realization of it was so exciting that I woke up immediately. The others lasted a little bit longer, and they were all quite amazing experiences, but that was about all they were.

The birth of my first child put the whole practice to an end, hehe. Those first few months of being a parent made sleep a precious commodity, and I was basically too tired to bother with the practice of journalling my dreams. That was over seven years ago. I may take up the practice again some day. Maybe when I’m retired and have time for things like a full night’s sleep. Ha!

I have lucid dreamed (doesn’t everybody???) but never “at will.”

ICXC NIKA

Same here. I have had lucid dreams, for as long as I can remember dreaming- in fact, I find it startling (unsettling, even) to have dreams that I don’t recognize as dreaming and therefore can’t alter- but have no clue how one could deliberately make them happen.

But in a dream that isn’t lucid, you don’t know you dreamed until it is over; how then can it be “unsettling”??

ICXC NIKA.

Not during the dream, lol! When I wake up.

I have never understood why some people are able to control their actions in their dreams??? In my dreams things just happen and Im not able to control any of it, but I do seem to remain true to my core beliefs in dreams, most times though, I dont recognize it is a dream…maybe this is the key to controlling a dream?

Can anyone learn to do this, or just something you can or cant do?

Anybody can experience it, but learning to do it at will is something else entirely. I would like to, but have no idea how.

ICXC NIKA

It doesn’t matter; to introduce subliminal learning was still a diversion from the stated topic of the thread.

Back on subject, I have never even tried to have a lucid dream by the force of my own will. I can say from experience of long ago that to try to dream about something was pretty much a guarantee that I would not dream about it.

Hmm, I had a few lucid dreams in the past couple months. I get recurring dreams that my teeth are falling out, and it happened again but I realized, this is a dream! So instead of freaking out like I usually do, I just let it happen thinking, it’s only a dream, who cares, I can go fly around if I want! So I did. I remember when I ‘woke up’ within the dream, I went down and looked at the floor of the room I was in and could see extremely clear detail. It’s neat.

Lucid dreaming in and of itself is not immoral. I wonder though if it may be immoral to do immoral things in a dream, however, if you know what you are doing. I once asked an apologist on here but all I remember is him saying we can’t sin while asleep. Perhaps I or someone should search for that answer to make sure. I notice that even sometimes when I’m not lucid dreaming, and when things are just happening in a normal dream, my conscience sometimes screams at me about avoiding committing mortal sins. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s a difference though.

You aren’t trying to dream about something. That would be beside the point, as dreaming is subconscious, and so cannot be directed from the conscious mind.

You are simply trying to dream mindfully.. That is, for your conscious mind to register the subconscious content in the dream. That is much easier.

There are technological tricks to trigger this – such as sleep-masks rigged with LEDs that light off during dreaming, etc – but I have never tried them.

ICXC NIKA

DaveDj throws out : "It doesn’t matter; to introduce subliminal learning was still a diversion from the stated topic of the thread."

Who appointed you Pope of this Forum?

Part of trying to understand something, is by comparing it (in certain ways) to something else.
You say, it is sort of like this … or, it is NOT like that.
This is how people begin to discern what the OP is meaning.
And, if YOU think that this kind of thing is veering off-topic, then why don’t you keep it to yourself?

one of the references by Steven LaBerge is a pretty good start.the national ,library on medicine, national institute of health has a lot of the most recent studies.

I would love to enter into this discussion since my professional background was physiological psychology with an emphasis on sleep which includes all kinds of really interesting stuff pertaining to the subject of sleep.

from WebMD
Have you ever had a dream where you knew you were dreaming during your dream? This is called a lucid dream. Research has shown that lucid dreaming is accompanied by an increased activation of parts of the brain that are normally suppressed during sleep. Lucid dreaming represents a brain state between REM sleep and being awake.

Fancy stuff. What we have here in simple terms is that part of your body is awake while another part of your body is still dreaming. This does not fit the norm but a lot of people have them. But the research on this is huge.

I would be glad to add what I can if I can since there is so much research still going on.
We need also be aware that one focus is purely physiological which is a good place to start while leaving the spiritual aspects separate.

Like I said, I will try to give what feedback that I can and that which is way over my head and there is a lot to this that is, I would be willing to do some research.

Just trying to help
Sierradepadre

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.