Luge crash death darkens Games mood

This is awful news. Praying for Mr. Kumaritashvili and his family.

"Luge crash death darkens Games mood

VANCOUVER (Reuters) - Nodar Kumaritashvili, a 21-year-old Georgian luger, died in a horrific crash on a training run on Friday, casting a pall over the Winter Olympics hours before the Games were to be declared open."...

Entire article here: reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61A5NG20100212

"Olympic luger killed in crash
The Georgia team may withdraw from competition

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) - A men's Olympic luger from the country of Georgia died Friday after a high-speed crash on a track that is the world's fastest and has raised safety concerns among competitors. A tearful IOC president Jacques Rogge said the death hours before the opening ceremony "clearly casts a shadow over these games."

Entire article here: nbcolympics.com/news-features/news/newsid=412058.html

Prayers for him, for his friends and family.

Psalm 23

A psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack.

In green pastures you let me graze;
to safe waters you lead me;
you restore my strength.

You guide me along the right path
for the sake of your name.

Even when I walk through a dark valley,
I fear no harm for you are at my side;
your rod and staff give me courage.

You set a table before me
as my enemies watch;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

Only goodness and love will pursue me
all the days of my life;
I will dwell in the house of the LORD
for years to come.

Prayers also for all competitors in these Olympic Games.

this was really sad. it was haunting to watch the video and see the last moments of this man's life and to see his face as he was preparing to start.

all i can say is that i would be really afraid if i were another athlete that had to go down this. it is so fast. they need to make it safer so that the athlete doesn't get thrown out of the track.

it was nice that they dedicated the opening ceremonies to him, but it definitely darkened the mood and i hope that nothing else this serious happens throughout the Games.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.