LUKE 1:10 "hour of incense"-?

What hour could this be? Any other commentary on this?

Thank you.

My NAB has no notes; interesting question…
Mary.

Exodus 30:7-8 Aaron shall offer fragrant incense on it; every morning when he dresses the lamps he shall offer it, and when Aaron sets up the lamps in the evening, he shall offer it, a regular incense offering before the Lord throughout your generations.

Since this seems to be a practice of long standing I would think that it would either be Morning Prayer or Evening Prayer.

Gina Lee
Great answer and welcome to the forums!~
Hope you enjoy your time here.
Mary.

The burning of the morning and afternoon Tamid on the holy Altar of Burnt Offerings was to be accompanied by the offering of the sacred incense which was burned in the Sanctuary Holy Place on the golden Incense Altar by the reigning high priest or his designated representative who was selected by lot. The selection by lot was considered to be a decision by Divine decree (see Lev 16:9-10; Num 26:55-56; Acts 1:26). The incense was offered in the morning service before the sacrificed male lamb was placed on the altar fire and in the afternoon service the incense was offered after the unblemished male lamb was placed on the altar fire.*

For further reading: agapebiblestudy.com/Luke_Gospel/Luke_Lesson_1.htm

I found this:

Incense was burnt on the golden altar every morning (babboqer babboqer) and every evening (ha’arbayim bên)—twice a day (Exod. 30:7–8; 2 Chron. 13:11. Cf. Luke 1:10; Acts 3:1).

Worshipers prayed in the temple “at the hour of the incense offering” (Luke 1:10). The people gathered in the courts of the men and the women. The ninth hour was “the hour of prayer” in the temple: “Peter and John were going up to the temple at the ninth hour, the hour of prayer” (Acts 3:1). The evening incense offering, then, took place between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. When the temple lay in ruins, pious Jews still prayed “about the time of the evening offering”—facing Jerusalem (Dan. 9:21; cf. 6:10). Cornelius
was praying in his house “during the ninth hour” (Acts 10:3, 30)

=truthbeauty;11815824]What hour could this be? Any other commentary on this?

Thank you.

From Haydocks catholic Commentary
Ver. 10. And all the … people were praying without: i.e. in that part of the temple called the court of the Israelites. For the Jews themselves were not permitted to enter into the first part of the tabernacle, called the holy, much less into the second part of it, called the holy of holies; the people then prayed, and performed their private devotions, in that division of the temple called the court of the Israelites, and were there waiting for the coming out of the priest Zacharias. (Witham) — We here see that the priest’s functions profited the people, though they neither heard nor saw the priest, but only joined in intention with him; and so may the prayers of the priest in the Catholic Church, though offered up in an unknown tongue.

9:00AM and 3:00 PM were probably the hours of incense. Some think it was closer to dawn and dusk.

They offer to the LORD every morning and every evening burnt offerings and incense of sweet spices, set out the showbread on the table of pure gold, and care for the golden lampstand that its lamps may burn every evening; for we keep the charge of the LORD our God, but you have forsaken him. (2 Chronicles 13:11)

The altar of incense was inside the Holy Place in the Temple, just outside of the curtain which separated the Holy Place from the Holy of Holies. Incense was offered on the altar of incense twice daily independent of any other offering. The twice daily offering of incense was the most pleasing to God of all the offerings.

The “olat tamid” or “korban tamid” were daily burnt offerings of a lamb or goat. Tamid means continual. This continual offering was done every day to start and end the daily temple service. As far as I can tell it was done at dawn and dusk. Some say that the incense offering were close to and perhaps associated with the tamid offering. Most of what I read however, indicates that the incense offering was done independent of the tamid any other offering. Those who say that the incense offering and the tamid offering are one and the same are clearly in error.

Once per year the High Priest would take a censer with burning coals and burn incense inside of the Holy of Holies.

Jesus died at 3:00 PM and his offering of himself was, like the incense offering, most pleasing to God. We sometimes have benediction at 3:00 PM. It is a very holy time of the day with its roots deep in the Old Testament offering of Incense at 3:00 PM. I have my watch set alarm at 3:00 PM - it reminds me to stop and pray at that time, even if it is only for a few seconds.

-Tim-

Thus also, the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is most efficaciously offered at 3PM, the “Hour of mercy.”

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.