Luke 1:28 NABRE

Why does the NABRE say “Hail, favored one” not “Hail Mary full of grace” I always thought this was kind of weird…

Also what do we use at Roman Catholic mass the NABRE, or the NAB?

Maybe that is a closer translation than Full of Grace? Don’t really know.

We use the NAB in the Mass.

The best people to ask would be the editors of the NAB, who are probably reachable via e-mail. Contact information can likely be found on the USCCB website.

I am not a theologian, but:
As I understand it, grace is God’s favor. Thus to be highly favored of God is to be full of grace.
I prefer the old translation though, perhaps because it’s the one I’m used to.

We use the NAB 1970 O.T. with NAB 1970 Psalms and the NAB 1986 N.T. in the U.S. The NABRE revised the O.T. and Psalms in 2010, but kept the same 1986 N.T. that is stilled used in the Mass in the U.S. (with some tweaks).

The Greek text would more literally translate to: one who God manifest grace toward

So, “full of grace” or “favored one” both are acceptable.

Many Catholic prefer “full of grace” because it is codified in the Hail Mary, and they erroneously feel the NAB is a poor translation.

The NAB and NABRE takes a lot of heat from non-academic bibliophiles…but there are few issues with the translation. Its the footnotes that are more problematic…however, footnotes are not the basis for doctrine, dogma, or other teachings of the Magisterium.

Peace.

The blessed Virgin was conceived immaculately free from Original Sin by the application of the merits of Christ’s’ Redemption preventively (instead of healing for the rest of mankind). Lk 1:28: “Hail full of grace.” This indicates a perfection of grace. This perfection is thus intensive and extensive – over the whole of her life from conception.

“Full of grace” is a unique title given to Mary, and suggests a perfection of grace from a past event. Mary is not just “highly favored.” She has been perfected in grace by God. “Full of grace” is only used to describe one other person - Jesus Christ in John 1:14.

Karl Keating remarks that these newer translations, based on the Greek, "are imperfect since they give the impression that the favour bestowed on Mary was no different from that given other women in the Bible…indistinguishable from the status of Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist; or Sarah, the wife of Abraham; or Anna, the mother of Samuel * all of whom, by the way, were long childless and were ‘highly favoured’ because God acceded to their pleas to bear children.”

Karl Keating says that the older translations convey that this grace is permanent and of a singular kind in keeping with the Greek which indicates a perfection of grace, and which is what the dogma of the Immaculate Conception teaches. He stresses that the sense of the Greek kecharitomene is not just “to look upon with favour, but to transform by this favour or grace.” (From René Laurentin).

Convert from Evangelicalism, ex-Pastor David B Currie, in his book* Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic* thinks that St Jerome “probably did the best job of translating this passage so many centuries ago. He translated it as ‘Hail, full of grace’. The important point to notice is that Mary is not addressed by Gabriel as ‘Mary’. She is addressed as ‘full of grace’, as though that were her name. When we unpack the Greek meaning of these words, Gabriel called Mary ‘The One Most Full of God’s Gracious Gift of His Life in All Time’.”

Sometimes I wonder about Karl. Regardless of wording how could one confuse the amount of grace bestowed on Mary with the amount given other women in the bible?

Neofight #8
Sometimes I wonder about Karl. Regardless of wording how could one confuse the amount of grace bestowed on Mary with the amount given other women in the bible?

The error is precisely because of the poor translations which do NOT enable the status and honour given by God to the Blessed Virgin to be properly distinguished from that of the others named.

As clearly stated, because Karl Keating remarks that these newer translations, based on the Greek, "are imperfect since they give the impression that the favour bestowed on Mary was no different from that given other women in the Bible…indistinguishable from the status of Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist; or Sarah, the wife of Abraham; or Anna, the mother of Samuel all of whom, by the way, were long childless and were ‘highly favoured’ because God acceded to their pleas to bear children.”

And, yet,I would submit that linguistically the texts are not as imperfect as Karl’s interpretation of the translations.

So what is the conclusion on this guys?

In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to the Galilean village of Nazareth to a virgin engaged to be married to a man descended from David. His name was Joseph, and the virgin’s name, Mary. Upon entering, Gabriel greeted her:
Good morning!
You’re beautiful with God’s beauty,
Beautiful inside and out!
God be with you.
Luke 1:26-28The Message (MSG)

Either translation is acceptable. They both point to this woman’s uniqueness…
“Highly favoured”? Who else has that title? Gabriel doesn’t say Mary is favoured because she did this thing or that and is granted a boon. Compare that to Hannah in Samuel. God usually starts out saying because “you or your family or did x, y or z, this great thing is going to happen.”.
Mary’s grace and being highly favoured ARE unique, and make it evident that Mary didn’t earn this title.God gave it to her.Just like God made Mary the Immaculate Conception.

Juliamajor #13
“highly favoured” (is) “unique”

As shown in post #8 that description is NOT unique.

What is unique is the correct translation as “Full of grace” which is a unique title given to Mary, and suggests a perfection of grace from a past event. Mary is not just “highly favored.” She has been perfected in grace by God. “Full of grace” is only used to describe one other person - Jesus Christ in John 1:14.

Suggest you read my post thoroughly .THE others, as I said, were gifted -given a boon because of their deeds or deeds of their families.Mary is unique in she did nothing to earn her salutation, her grace, or highly favoured position.God gave it to her.Mary couldn’t nor anyone in her family ever become pure enough to become the Immaculate Conception. God chose her, and only He could wipe the slate of original sin ,completely clean.
What she is given is not a baby, or a royal position because of her loyalty or practices. She will have the Baby and the royal position, not because she asked for it, or any practices ,but because she says Amen to God’s unknowable, inconceivable plan.

I hate to inform Abu that Keating is not God , nor are Karl’s views the only tenable ones.
No translation stays static.And many viewpoints on translation are just as viable.I have been to seminars on biblical translations.it is an incredible difficult job . So someone saying that the translators are modernist hacks or driven by agendas are not only unfair but slanderous.

:thumbsup: I wonder what St. Jerome had to endure when he translated Vulgate from the Old Latin texts of his time, how dare he? I wonder if he was called a modernist? :wink:

This is only my opinion but eventually–and it may take a number of years–when the NABRE is revised a final time so it can be a study bible and also exactly match the lectionary–when that lectionary and by extension the NABRE Final edition has to be approved by the Holy See in Rome–I predict that Luke 1:28 in the final edition of the NABRE will say “Full of grace”.

If St. Jerome could talk with current scripture scholars who think that “Highly favored” would be a better translation I think that he would still say “Full of Grace”!

Know way of knowing that is there? Jerome was a crusty old dude and got into it with those who wanted to influence him. He was not thrilled with keeping the deuterocanonicals and preferred the MT text.

Ok again, so what is the conclusion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.