Luke 21:17

“And everyone will hate you because you are my followers.”

Luke 21:17 (New Living Translation)

Do Christ’s words here refer to His pacifism, which seems as off-putting and hateful today as back then? Or was He perhaps referring to his homelessness and voluntary poverty? There are other possibilities, too, of course. I’m curious how others interpret this.

Everyone will hate us, because we oppose the pleasures of the world and the sinfulness of worldly society. We strive for holiness and for a sound relationship with God Who is Heaven, while unfortunately many people in this world strive only to fulfill their earthly riches, passions, and desires.

That is why many people will hate us, because we speak the Truth of Christ: that the worldly desires that many people follow are bad and useless and that the only way to true Happiness is in following Jesus through the Catholic Church.

May God bless you and yours forever! :slight_smile:

It somewhat relates to all of it. But I’d like to clarify a few things first. Christ wasn’t for pacifism; he was more for nonviolent resistance. The scenario in which the turning of the other cheek was the solution wasn’t because it was a pacifist’s way to just take it. It was a cultural deal. To slap someone’s right cheek you had to do it with either a backhand with the right hand or an open palm with the left. Those were both signs of severe disgrace. To turn the other cheek meant that the aggressor had to palm slap you with the right hand or back hand with the left. The palm slap with the right meant that you were equals and he was in the wrong. A backhand with the left meant that you were better than he was. (Or maybe I reversed it, but you get the point.)

To answer the question; they hate us because they don’t understand. To believe in Christ means that you must believe everything he stands for, which destroys the notion that people can sin and have no consequences.

This passage is referring directly to eschatology. It is repeated in Matthew 24 and Mark 13 as well as the book of Revelation. I personally think he’s talking about refusal to worship the image of the beast in Revelation 13, for which one is put to death.

I love each of these answers! Thanks, you’ve given me some new avenues for research and pondering.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.