Luke 21:36

I read in the Bible it said

“Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.” Luke 21:36

Why does it tell you to pray? Pray to escape the tribulation? Please explain.

I await someone with greater knowledge to answer your question but I wanted to welcome you to the forums!~

Hope you enjoy your time on the forums and grow in knowledge and faith.

Mary.

I am inclined to think that the escape means living during the time but be untouched by the time. Escaping without leaving. In the OT there is the story of the widow and her son who only had enough grain meal for for one feed. And after feeding God’s prophet they survived on the last bit in the jar for duration of the famine. Also the multiplication of the fishes and loaves.Also there is Jesus walking through he crowd that wanted to kill Him. Or like the three in the furnace. Daniel 3;13-50

Hello MrJohntheJust.

There are different layers of meaning.

There was a historical sense.

This is where Jesus is warning His followers who are about to experience the destruction of the Temple and “Covenant Judgment”.

Covenant judgment is sometimes described in the Old Testament as a coming of the Lord.

There was a personal sense too (to me and to you).

Someday I will die bodily. That will be my PERSONAL coming of the Lord.

There was an end-times sense or “Eschatological sense” too.

This will be pertinent to the times at the end of the world.

(There is even a personal morality sense. There is consequences for sin and in a positive sense, for good works done in grace too)

So WHICH sense do I affirm?

All of them.

Hope this helps and welcome to Catholic Answers Forums!

God bless.

Cathoholic

PS See CCC 113-118

From LUKE chapter 21

The Destruction of Jerusalem Foretold

20 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation has come near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, and let those who are inside the city depart, and let not those who are out in the country enter it; 22 for these are days of vengeance, to fulfil all that is written. 23 Alas for those who are with child and for those who give suck in those days! For great distress shall be upon the earth and wrath upon this people; 24 they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led captive among all nations; and Jerusalem will be trodden down by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles[a] are fulfilled.

The Coming of the Son of Man

25 “And there will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and upon the earth distress of nations in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the waves, 26 men fainting with fear and with foreboding of what is coming on the world; for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 27 And then they will see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 Now when these things begin to take place, look up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”

The Lesson of the Fig Tree

29 And he told them a parable: “Look at the fig tree, and all the trees; 30 as soon as they come out in leaf, you see for yourselves and know that the summer is already near. 31 So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom of God is near. 32 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away till all has taken place. 33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

Exhortation to Watch

34 “But take heed to yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a snare; 35 for it will come upon all who dwell upon the face of the whole earth. 36 But watch at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of man.” . . .

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+21&version=RSVCE

Dear John,

In its original historical context, this passage referred to the destruction of Jerusalem and all that was to come before. Our Saviour is telling his disciples: pray that you will be able to escape this - not merely in a physical sense, but in a spiritual one, not falling into apostasy or loss of faith - and be able to face His judgment.

It can also be read allegorically: no matter what our station in life, we can never tell when trials and tribulations may come, and how these will test our weak faith. We must pray that we remain unshaken (not only in the sense of physical safety but of holding on to the life-raft of faith) at such times. :slight_smile:

If you’re referencing the tribulation and the rapture, which are a somewhat popular belief nowadays, you should know that the “Rapture” isn’t a Catholic or traditional protestant doctrine at all. It comes from the early 19th Century, before that no one had heard of it.

Hi OP.

Welcome.:thumbsup::slight_smile:

In a part of the Our Father we pray: “And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.” And Jesus said in the Garden: “You should be praying not to be put to the test.”

Think of the it in that way, and contextually, as the other posters have said.

Can someone tell me the chronological events of the last seven years tribulation before the second coming of Jesus Christ?

The entire rapture/ tribulation theology has really nothing to do with Catholicism, particularly traditional Catholicism. Much of this theology was the result of John N. Darby, a 19th Century bible teacher from England.

In the Catholic Church, the usual line of thinking is that Jesus can come back tomorrow morning, nothing further need be done. Mr. Darby wasn’t Catholic, his ideas were never really considered or discussed as Catholic in the least.

But if you are interested in it, Hal Lindsey’s “Late Great Planet Earth” is readable and was a best seller. They made a movie of it , too, back in the 1970’s. Just remember it isn’t Catholic.

Here’s something that may help you sort some things out.
The Rapture?

Beginning Apologetics 8: What Catholics Believe about the Second Coming, the Rapture, Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, and Indulgences

$5.95

shop.catholic.com/media/klevu_images/l/a/last-call_2_1.jpg
Last Call: The Catholic Teaching on Death-Judgment-Heaven-Hell

$14.95

**[What Jesus Really Said About the End of the World]("http://shop.catholic.com/what-jesus-really-said-about-the-end-of-the-world-set.html")**

**By: ** **[David B. Currie]("http://shop.catholic.com//author/index/view/id/75/")**

Lk 21:
34 “But take heed to yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a snare; 35 for it will come upon all who dwell upon the face of the whole earth. 36 But watch at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of man.”

pray to escape what things?

We can’t escape standing in front of Jesus some day. So what do we pray we can hopefully escape when that happens?

being in Mortal sin. Dissipation and drunkenness is a mortal sin

So, we don’t want to be snared in dissipation and drunkenness and all kinds of bad stuff. As the old saying goes, " be prepared" and pray that happens

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.