Luke 24:30-31 proof of Christ's presence in the Eucharist?

Luke 24:30-31

And it came to pass, whilst he was at table with them, he took bread, and blessed, and brake, and gave to them. And their eyes were opened, and they knew him: and he vanished out of their sight.

-Could this passage be a proof for Christ’s presence in the Holy Eucharist? Especially considering the fact that right after Jesus blessed and broke the bread he vanished from there sight. Was this to prove his presence in the Eucharist?

I believe it would do no harm to our Catholic faith to use the abovementioned passage as supportive of the Eucharistic presence. For more Biblical passages please check out this site: therealpresence.org/eucharst/scrip/a6.html
God bless!

It may mean that after Jesus’ death and resurrection Christ will appear to us at the breaking of the bread but it’s not something I’ve thought about.

Some people don’t believe fully in the Gospel (ie Protestants) and there are other passages in the Gospel to prove the real presence.

Thanks for posting this website! The Biblical proofs for Jesus being the promised Messiah and for the Real Presence in the Eucharist were instrumental in my return to the Catholic Faith after having drifted away as a young man. I was not properly catechized as a youth and although I always conserved a great respect for the Bible, I had never bothered to study apologetics or try to understand the Bible on a deeper level.

Steve Ray used this as a humorous way to help clarify the real presense for our protestant brothers and sisters.

First he expounds the passage, then he says “they found Christ in the breaking of the bread! They missed him in the bible study!”.

Maybe it’s funnier on the audio CD than on this forum :stuck_out_tongue:

I would say that it is absolute proof… for those with ears to hear and eyes to see. :cool:

In other words, for those who already believe, it will reinforce their belief. But for those who don’t believe, it’s just another example of that crazy Catholic mis-exegesis! :whacky:

Well, it was definitely presented to my sacramental theology class as a proof, back in my university days. . . . I thought it was commonly accepted as such. We were also taught that any time the phrase “the breaking of bread” is used in the NT it is Eucharistic.

Yes! every time bread is mentioned in scripture Jesus is in it. This is an excellent verse to prove that Jesus’ actually bodily flesh is in the bread because it says that he “took bread” and “gave it to them” so when they eat the bread and swallowed his living flesh, it transformed in miraculous form and became a piece of him.

This is conclusive to prove that the eurcharist is true!

Thank you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.