Luke Chapter 11 verses 27-28

True Blessedness.*
27While he was speaking, a woman from the crowd called out and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that carried you and the breasts at which you nursed.”l 28 He replied, “Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”
I’m a new Catholic but I was wondering what this verse meant, this can’t be saying Mary is insignificant, so what does it mean? Thanks, I am sure their is an obvious answer!:blush:

I’m reading the whole Bible and Father told me to start with the Gospels so that is where I am and I have never read the Bible before (a former Protestant that did not read the Bible:p) so I’m not sure on the linguistics.

Sorry, another quick question, if you don’t mind.
“Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but the one who blasphemes against the holy Spirit will not be forgiven."
What does this mean, blashemy even in the past is not forgiven?

I don’t think this insinuates that Mary is insignificant: she IMHO is one who “heard the word of God and kept it.” :wink:

Jesus could have spent time extoling the virtues of his Mother, but what he is trying to teach them is that He came to bring them Salvation! He has a limited amount of time to teach these souls listening to Him! He wants to refocus her on the point of His presence there. Bless your lives by repenting from sin, and become a living Gospel (of His Word), which will save you, and those who follow your example! It’s not enough to notice that someone else is Blessed. Being blessed by God is a side effect of an intimate relationship with God, and his Family the Church.

“blessed are those who** Hear the word of God and observe it**.” Listen to the Word, learn it, Do it! conversion is when our changed heart leads to changed actions! Jesus wants us to live with him in Heaven for all eternity!!! that’s the goal He wants them to focus on. :slight_smile:

Thank you both, that was my thought as well but I wanted to verify. I want to know that if someone challenges me that I know what I am talking about, to some extent. My hope is to defend my faith by living a holy life and doing good and giving myself to God, but I will not hear negative words, so I want to be prepared:)

I think it only emphazises that attentiveness to God is more important than mere biologically. Also, once a jesuit priest told me that the virgin Mary didn’t become the biological mother of Jesus out of a mere coincidence. She was chosen to be Jesus’ mother because of her attentiveness to God’s word and her obedience to God so he said that here Jesus is also reinforcing this. His mother was not blessed out of mere biology instead because of her obedience to God.

This is what is called sins against the holy spirit. Unfortunately I am not well versed enough to explain it but I’ve seen other discussions here regarding that. You should look for them.

God the Father sent us God the Son. They together sent us God the Holy Spirit at Pentecost! Many in our culture blame God for all the evil in the world. They look at the evil work of satan, and say God did it! That is Blasphemy. They are angry that God has not made the earth a perfect Heaven, right here, right now, exactly as they demand He do it! (This is the sin of pride. thinking they know better than God how everything should be done. They have become God in their own minds, and have made God their slave! Since God didn’t serve them precisely how they wanted…they reject Him!) satan’s fall was due to his pride! he thought he knew better than God also. Look where that led.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is thinking yourself above God, and rejecting Him! If you reject all that is Good, Holy, pure, and loving…what is left? **A person who rejects God’s love, and forgiveness also rejects His salvation. They doom themselves to Hell. :frowning: **

Some of the Jews believed and loved God the Father, but were not sure about Jesus Christ. They may have spoken against Jesus not realizing He was God. Due to their love for God the Father they may be forgiven, and still go to Heaven, because they are open to God’s love, and acted in ignorance. Anyone who repents can be saved. It is the person who refuses God to the very end who cannot be saved for they reject His every attempt to love them, fill them with The Holy Spirit, and bring them home to Heaven.

Now this makes perfect sense to me!

I sure will.Thanks.

So, what if you are to repent before death, does it still not matter since it is said it is not forgiven? Me being agnostic before conversion, I am sure that I would fall into this category but now I go to Confession regularly, attend Mass regularly…
I am trying to figure out if through Repentence and Confession, it can be forgiven or never forgiven at all?

**Catholic Catechism 1864 ** “Whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin.” Mk 3:29 Mt 12:32 Lk 12:10
There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept His mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss. Pope John Paul II.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is to die in that rejection of God! If a person refuses God’s forgiveness God will not force them to be saved, so they are NOT saved. God has given us free will to love Him or reject Him

Any one who is Baptized, is born again. They are a new creation in Christ! A member of God’s family, His Church. The Holy Spirit dwells with in them. :slight_smile:

Ok, sorry, I was just a bit worried. I was previously Baptized but was Confirmed, had my first Confession and my first Communion this March. I read that and my eyes went:eek:

Mary it is wonderful that you care about God’s teachings. It is an exciting journey learning about all these things! God Bless you on your journey sister. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much:hug3:

When I made the decision that I wanted to read the entire bible, I was overwhelmed but Father gave me a clear path to take and I have to tell you, I don’t like to stop reading to even take a break!

=MaryRita85;10754337]True Blessedness.*
27While he was speaking, a woman from the crowd called out and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that carried you and the breasts at which you nursed.”l 28 He replied, “Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”
I’m a new Catholic but I was wondering what this verse meant, this can’t be saying Mary is insignificant, so what does it mean? Thanks, I am sure their is an obvious answer!:blush:

First: Welcome HOME!:thumbsup:

I’ll share MY understanding and then provide Haydocks Catholic Commentary:

Christ is NOT taking in anyway “taking something away” from Mary’s exulated position. IN FACT, He’s building on top of it.

Those who hear [AND UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY] the words of God and then choose to Keep ALL of the ALL of the time: in doing so merit their salvation. Salvation is a greater gift; honor and accomplishment than EVEN being the “Mother of God.”:slight_smile: [Lk. 11: 26-28

Haydocks Catholic Commentary:
http://haydock1859.tripod.com/

Lk. 11:28
Ver. 28. Menounge, imo vero, yes indeed. Our Saviour does not here wish to deny what the woman had said, but rather to confirm it: indeed how could he deny, as Calvin impiously maintained, that his mother was blessed? By these words, he only wishes to tell his auditors what great advantage they might obtain by attending to his words. For the blessed Virgin, as St. Augustine says, was more happy in having our Saviour in her heart and affections, than in having conceived him in her womb.

God’s continued Blessing be with you!

Pat/PJM

Please remember that I am not by any means a Greek scholar! I neither read it nor speak it.

Looking at a Greek Interlinear New Testament, it seems that “rather” may be a poor translation. The literal translation of the word is “indeed-then-surely”. That makes it seem more as if He was saying, “Yes, and surely blessed are those…”

Anyone who is a Greek scholar, feel welcome to correct me. Please!

And, if you want to prove that Mary heard the word of God and observed it, refer them to Lk 1:38! One of the two very great pieces of advice she left to us. The other is Jn 2:5.

As far as blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is concerned, I’ll repeat ReginaLove’s quoting of the Catechism:

1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

Refusing to repent, on purpose, is rejecting God’s mercy and forgiveness. If you repent in the last nanosecond that you are alive, then you have stopped blaspheming against the Holy Spirit.

Lk. 11:28
Ver. 28. Menounge, imo vero, yes indeed. Our Saviour does not here wish to deny what the woman had said, but rather to confirm it: indeed how could he deny, as Calvin impiously maintained, that his mother was blessed? By these words, he only wishes to tell his auditors what great advantage they might obtain by attending to his words. For the blessed Virgin, as St. Augustine says, was more happy in having our Saviour in her heart and affections, than in having conceived him in her womb.

God’s continued Blessing be with you!
Thanks so much and this does make sense!
Pat/PJM

Thanks so much, and this does make sense!

I have never in my life been able to understand the Sin against the holy spirit. I am still reading this and can’t get it lol I have spoken to a few priests in the hopes to be able to understanding because I was worried about not commuting it and nothing, the last priest I spoke told me many others have had approached with the same worries. He said look if you are you are worried about it and you can’t understand it you haven’t committed it so stop assessing about it lol

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.