Luminous mysteries of the rosary and traditonalist

I hope this is ok to post here.

Something that I have always wondered is what do long time traditionalist think about the new Rosary or is it even an issue?

I’ll add a poll and let’s all be nice, we got new forums and don’t want to lose them :slight_smile:

I am NOT a long time traditionalist. As such, I have no problems having 20 mysteries to contemplate. In a few hundred more years, we could increase it to 25.

I’m not exactly a ‘long-time traditionalist’ but I voted ‘No’. I don’t prefer the new mysteries as I find the names of the mysteries awkward.

I like the symbolism involved with the ‘original’ 15-decade rosary - the ‘15 Promises’ (1 promise per decade) and the 150 Our Fathers of a 15-decade rosary as a substitution for praying all 150 psalms.

I have no problems with people using the Luminous mysteries - or any other set of mysteries out there - somewhere in my book collection I even have a 7-day Scriptural Rosary booklet that has 7 sets of mysteries. If I’m praying the rosary with a group of people and they are praying the Luminous mysteries, I will join in. But my preference is still the ‘Traditional 15’ - the Joyful, Sorrowful, and Glorious mysteries. :slight_smile:

Jen

The evolution of the Rosary
We have to keep in mind that over the centuries there has been a considerable evolution in the form that this devotion called the Rosary has taken. We have to remember that in the time of St. Dominic: 1) The HAIL MARY did not exist as we pray it today. Only the first half of it was then used. The word JESUS was not added until the 14th century, and the second half of the prayer came later still.
2) The OUR FATHER and the GLORY BE TO THE FATHER were not then part of the Rosary.
3) The Mysteries of the Rosary were not fixed as they are now. Even in the 15th century in the time of ALAN DE RUPE, O.P., who was responsible for the revival of the Rosary devotion 250 years after the time of St. Dominic, the Rosary he preached was the Marian Psalter of 150 Hail Marys and 150 mysteries. These were divided into three groups of fifties dedicated to the Joyful, Sorrowful and Glorious mysteries. The fifteen mysteries in use today were officially established by Pope Pius V in 1569.
4) There was no pendent (the cross and five extra beads) as we have now.
5) The very word “Rosary” taken from the Latin word “rosarium” meaning rose garden, or bouquet of roses, was not used in the time of Dominic as applied to this devotion. So obviously there would be no reference to that term in documents of his time.
The Marian Psalter
The custom of counting repeated prayers by the use of a string of beads or knots, or pebbles in a bowl was prevalent long before the time of St. Dominic. This was common among the Moslems, the Buddhists, and other non-Christian religions as well as among Christians.
From time immemorial the 150 psalms of the Bible comprised the most important part of the official liturgical prayers prayed by the clergy and the monks in monasteries. Since, however, many of the common folk were illiterate, there was an attempt to offer those who could not read (especially the Latin) a substitute for the 150 psalms. The practice arose of substituting 150 OUR FATHERS in place of the Latin psalms, using a string of beads to count them, dividing them into “fifties.” This chaplet, or string of beads, came to be known as “Paternoster” beads.
Little by little, the HAIL MARY took its place alongside the CREED and the OUR FATHER as a standard prayer. But still, it was only the first half that was used. In the course of time there came to be a parallel Psalter, i.e., one of 150 HAIL MARYS known as the MARIAN PSALTER.

The Rosary we have is about 450yrs old.
To me, that’s a tradition. Being Traditional, I do not hold to any further evolution of that tradition.
I have never paid any attention to the Luminous mysteries.
Further, I don’t think it is a matter of salvation or heavenly status hereafter, so why bother?
Fatima would have been the ideal time to enhance the Rosary, but She did no such thing…just pray it as it was.
For what it’s worth, I think it was some sort of ecumenical endeavor that will never hit the charts

I don’t know that I’d exactly call myself a traditionalist. But I do have an opinion.

It always felt somewhat odd to me that the traditional mysteries jumped straight from Jesus’ infancy to His passion and death, and skipped right over the very significant events of His ministry. It’s not like Mary wouldn’t have been a part of them (after all, she was there in Cana, wasn’t she)?

So I like 'em and pray 'em :thumbsup:

the luminous mysteries are my favorite. i especially like reading the gospel accounts during the luminous mystery. in theory, you could make many more events in the gospel part of the luminous or any mystery that you want. i’m sure someone has published thier own mysteries by now.

i have a hard time dealing with the novus ordo mass. i keep going in circles about weather the mass can be changed as if it were a product of the creativity and spirituality of the pope or a group of liturgists. clearly popes have changed the liturgy–pius xii comes to mind–but don’t radical changes make the liturgy seem like a continuous workshop rather than the great product of catholic western civilization?

i think the orthodox and eastern catholics have a better understanding of the liturgy than the roman church today.

I don’t personally pray the New Mysteries, as I saw the Rosary as a perfect devotion and prayer in its traditional form, the 15 mysteries - with no need to add anything else.

However, I don’t have anything against the New Mysteries and people who meditate on them.

I suggest meditating on the Mysteries of Light if you haven’t started already. I pity those who can’t get past their pride if that is whats holding them back.

I’m not a traditionalist, if by traditionalist you mean one who looks askance at the Second Vatican Council and who in his heart of hearts longs for the elimination of Novus Ordo masses. I am a traditionalist in the sense that I believe everything that the Catholic Church teaches and look forward to the publication on the forthcoming Motu Propio because I think there is room in the Church for the two missals to exist side by side.

So if that qualifies me to respond in any way …

I LOVE the Luminous Mysteries and try to pray them often, not just on the recommended Thursdays. My favourites are the 4th and 5th mysteries: the Transfiguration and the Institution of the Holy Eucharist!

Go JPII the GREAT! Thank You!! :thumbsup:

I hope you are not referring to me.

I voted no but then again I usually use the Rosary of the 7 Sorrows of the Blessed Mother instead. I could never understand why the additional mysteries were added in the first place. But I have no real objection to them.

I am a new Catholic, coming into the Church AFTER John Paul ll the Great introduced the Mysteries of Light (better known as the Luminous Mysteries),four mysteries is all I have even known.

Now as for my opinion of them. These mysteries form a more complete scriptual picture of Jesus. We meditate His early years, His Passion/death and His resurrection, and His Ascension, NOW we can meditate on His earthly ministry. Its more complete now.

All that being said though, I prefer to meditate on the Sorrowful Mysteries.

I don’t know that I would self-describe as “traditionalist”, but having a fondness for Latin I am enjoying this new forum.

I think the mysteries are a fine elaboration. But is the Latinist in me that finds them curious, for this reason:

See, I can understand that in English we have taken the cumbersome phrase “mysteries of light” and replaced it with “luminous mysteries” – It saves a word, even if not a single syllable. But Latin has no such difficulty – In Latin, the Apostolic Letter *Rosarium Virginis Mariae *makes a dozen or more references to *mysteria lucis *(two words, 6 syllables) and exactly one reference to *mysteria luminosa *(two words, 8(!) syllables). Yet whenever I see them listed in Latin, eg the of the Catechism of the Catholic Church*Compendium *%20COMMON%20PRAYERS"), they are enumerated as Mysteria Luminosa.

I suppose there is a symmetry with the other *mysteria – gaudiosa, dolorosa, gloriosa – *Yet still I always wonder: “What up wit’ dat?” :hmmm:

So, to recap: :twocents: I like the mysteries, but I prefer calling them “Mysteries of Light”/*Mysteria Lucis *over Luminous/Luminosa.

tee

I pray them and have absolutely no problem with it as the 15 “regular” mysteries completely skip over the public ministry of our Lord.

To me, the luminous mysteries really make the praying of the rosary quite complete.

I love it.

I have to agree with those who have found the luminous mysteries as a source of deeper meditation into the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and their effects on my own life. So I have found these to be of great value in my personal prayer life.

And besides, John Paul the Great saw great value in them which is good enough for me.

I like the new Luminous mysteries.
I DON’T like the idea of breaking the Rosary cycle, however, namely, Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful, and Glorious.
SO, instead of the Luminous mysteries on Thursday stuff,
what I do is on Thursdays I try to recite BOTH the Joyful AND the Luminous mysteries, instead of skipping the Joyful mysteries on Thursdays.
But the Luminous Mysteries are beautiful and enriching.

Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)

The Rosary never made a lot of sense to me until John Paul II added the new mysteries. At that point it finally dawned on me that the Rosary was a meditaion on the Four Gospels of the NT. I have come to like it and pray it almost every day. Before I would resort to it only when something was in desperate straits and I didn’t know what to pray for or how.

When the pope first came out with them, I was quite angry as I didn’t think it was necessary to change *another *tradition. But I guess my heart has warmed up to them, so I don’t mind praying them once a week. Today’s Thursday, so I think I’ll pray those mysteries tonight before I go to sleep.

Not really connected, but I occasionally use this form of the Rosary when meditating on the life of Christ after Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.