Luminous Mystery Questions

"After Jesus' baptism a voice from Heaven: "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased."

The divine Trinity is manifested: the voice of the Father is heard as the Spirit descends upon the Son. "

But in this scene, I thought that the Spirit descended upon the son through the baptism, and hence that the Father's voice is heard after the Spirit descended upon Jesus.

The question is, what does this passage mean and what lessons does it impart? Is it supposed to be a treatment of God's abilities regarding time? Is there some allegorical meaning?

Jesus’ baptism prefigured his bearing the burden of our sins. His descent into the water signified our death with Him in Baptism, and His rising “up out of the water” signified our rising to new life with Him. The Spirit descending completes the picture. Our Lord told Nicodemus that one must be born from above (or “again”) through water and the Spirit. This episode demonstrates that action of water and Spirit. The two rites of Christian initiation: Baptism and Confirmation.

closed #3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.