Lunisolar calendar?

Does anyone know anything about the calendar and how the Sabbath was changed? I am talking with someone right now who is claiming that it is an abomination that Pope Gregory changed the calendar (which was changed by Caesar I guess) and how it is no longer God’s calendar.

How do I address this?

It’s my understanding that the cycle of weekdays was not changed when the Gregorian calendar was adopted. “The Julian calendar day Thursday, 4 October 1582 was followed by the first day of the Gregorian calendar, Friday, 15 October 1582 (the cycle of weekdays was not affected).” (Wikipedia article on Gregorian calendar)

The person you are talking to has his talking points pretty well confused.

… The Sabbath was not changed. It’s still on Saturday. The Lord’s Day is on Sunday. Christians moved the day of rest and worship from the Sabbath (which is the last day of the week) to Sunday (which is the first day of the week) in remembrance of Easter Sunday.

As far as the Calendar is concerned, God did not provide us a calendar, nor did he command when celebrations be held. Man created the calendar and thus created the liturgical calendar. Therefore, we can change the liturgical calendar as needed to properly express the Faith.

Additionally, God is Truth. Therefore, why should we have to revert back to using a calendar which cannot accurately keep track of time? Where is Truth in an incorrect date?

God Bless.

Right. I would say “have a nice day” and walk away.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.