Lust and Advice

Hello,

I am a 22 year old man in need of prayers. I dated a young woman for about a year before we broke up. We decided to take a year for ourselves and see if God led us back to each other. However, now every time I see her I get a great swell of sexual desire which then turns into lust. I could use both advice and prayers. Should I keep talking to this girl if being in her presence leads me to lust after her? How can I keep from lusting whenever we are together? No other girl has this effect on me (maybe because we screwed around a little when we were dating), but I would like to know if there is a way that I could restore the respect I once had for her as a woman, as a person. I value the dignity of all human life, and have a great love for JP2’s Theology of the Body, so why this great swell of lust whenever I hang out with this girl?

Sorry for the ton of questions, thank you in advance for any prayers or advice you may offer.

ROTA

I will pray for you. Not sure what to advise. But I agree, if you can begin to see her as a person instead of just the physical side, that well be a big start on not just focusing on her out of lust…

My prayers are with you.
I would suggest you remind yourself that she is someone’s daughter and sister. Do you have a sister? How would you like it if all a guy thought about her was as a sex object?
Anyway, who am I to preach. The mistake was to get intimate in the first place. True intimacy is when hearts, minds, souls and bodies unite and become one in Holy Matrimony. When you see her , actively remind yourself of her character, behavior and personality , the good she does and is. See her for who she truly is, her strengths and weaknesses. Pray for her happiness daily and sincerely and see where all this will lead. It is after all in God’s hands.
Hope this helps.
God love you!

Jesus please send your Holy Spirit to guide this young man in his relationships. Help him to assess with Your Spirit in him whether chemical attraction is a good basis for relationship and whether this woman is an occasion of sin he should avoid. Please lead him to the relationship that You know is most life-giving to him in his journey to You and to eternal life

praying

Our Father,
Who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy Will be done,
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.

Hail Mary, full of grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
And blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners,
Now and at the hour of our death.

Glory be to the Father
And to the Son
And to the Holy Spirit:
As it was in the beginning,
Is now,
And ever shall be,
World without end.

Amen

:amen:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.