Luther-Bashing is Anti-Catholic

Yes, but I don’t think this question was directed to me.

We can’t know the condition of his heart before he went to judgment. I have read that he continued to pray his rosary even to his deathbed, and that he regretted how much division was created by his work. He certainly was dismayed that the Calvanists and followers of Zwingi rejected the Real Presence.

Okay, I was thinking more his 95 thesis one of which condemning transubstantiation.

Not nonsense, true, very true.

They are not, Luther is not part of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, and if you wish to be one with us, you must let go of Luther, he left the Catholic Church and encouraged his followers to do likewise, I don’t know whether he regretted it or repented or whatever on his deathbed, but one must let Luther go in order to return home to the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, There. Is. No. Other. Way!

Anything else is a lie and a false sense of unity.

It doesn’t matter how it has worked, it matters whether it is true. Luther did not return to the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, if you follow him, then neither have you and nor will you as long as you follow Luther.

Then you should have no problem letting Luther go and returning home to the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church?

Haven’t read them, but on the face of it there is a good chance I would not approve, we are not in communion with Lutherans some of whom have female clergy for starters, not to mention celebrating and following Martin Luther.

We may have similarities and several things we agree on, and that is good, but we are not one unfortunately, you would need to let Luther go in order for that to happen, or I would have to accept Luther, which I will never do, and if anyone in the Catholic Church does so and claims to be still Catholic, then they would become hypocrites.

Luther’s decision is not justifiable, in order to somehow ‘justify it’ they would become hypocrites.

Thank you for reading.

God Bless

True, but we do know he did not return to the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church and neither did his followers, thus there can be no unity until they let Luther go and thus convert home back to the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Thank you for reading.

God Bless

I’ve got to ask this sincerely.

You say you guys are far from Luther and even farther from the Catholic Church and the Catholic Church is so very wrong yet why do you care what a minority literally a handful of people strangers off the internet have to say about Martin Luther?

Your average Catholic that doesn’t have a Catholic Answers Forum account or debate with people on the internet and does not give a hootenanny about Martin Luther today.

It takes a lot more to excommunicate yourself than simply taking a different position or maybe disagreeing with some ecumenical approaches and I don’t think the church actually boxes ecumenism into one way or another.

I mean if it was so easy for Catholics to be excommunicated a large majority of our own clergy would be excommunicated today.

Guys like Father James Martin who are extremely controversial and liberal would be automatically excommunicated.

From what I’ve read on your responses to many of these different threads you seem pretty confident in the reformed and you don’t show any hint of ever reconciling with the Catholic Church so why do you care if the Church comes knocking if you’re so set on staying reformed?

No offense it just seems like you have a chip on your shoulder with the Catholic Church and Catholics but if you’re so happy about being reformed why do you care what others do?

I don’t really see a problem with pointing out the evils of what Luther did or said I think it’s no worse than showing Holocaust pictures from World War II Nazi concentration camps.

I would have to agree that maybe some people do take it too far and do it in a prideful manner and not in an informative way.

In all the years that I have been on here I have probably made a handful of disparaging comments about Martin Luther.

Did I regret it, did I repent to God, did I go to confession?

For some things and how far I took them sure for other things no because I didn’t see any sin in them.

One commenter on here compared Luther and the Reformation to the butterfly effect.

In the past I’ve compared to Luther and the Reformation to the Angelic fall in the fall of the tower of Babylon.

Today I would probably compare Martin Luther and the Reformation to pouring water on a Mogwai.

They’re all good analogies maybe some more more critical than others but I think the point is that Martin Luther started something that was very bad and continues to this day which is chaos.

You came on here and talking about rules and telling others they are there going to be excommunicated and maybe the reformed have rules but Protestantism really doesn’t have any rules it’s sort of make it up as you go.

If somebody doesn’t like something that their pastor does they just start their own church I mean that’s why there is something close to 38,000 to 40,000 different Christian denominations and growing.

There is just sort of this vague notion of what Christianity is in Protestantism everybody has this concept but if you were to ask Protestants on an individual to individual basis nobody has the same idea nobody agrees on what Christianity is and everybody has their own definition.

If a Baptist meets Episcopalian they agree they’re both Christian but the hypocrisy is that they don’t have the same belief they don’t hold to the same doctrines they don’t have the same scriptural interpretation and worship styles but yet they view each other as equals.

You mentioned our spiritual leaders but some of our leaders have taken ecumenism to insane proportions even to the degree of indifferentism.

My Philosophy is leave ecumenism to the clergy I practice ecumenism by loving my neighbor and basically avoiding getting involved with other people’s false religions.

I’m not going to go to anybody’s prayer service, I’m not going to go to their church, I’m not going to do a Bible study with them, but I will treat them as a human being and I will love them as my neighbor.

I evangelize to them by my life to the best of my ability and occasionally sharing some things of my faith but not doing so in a forceful manner and by being a good representation of Catholicism.

According to you the reformed don’t care for Luther because he was too Catholic and you guys stay as far as away from the Catholic Church as possible.

It’s the same for many conservative and traditional Catholics it’s just from a different vantage point.

When I say traditional Catholics I mean Catholics in good standing with the Church who attend a Extraordinary Form Mass in communion with Rome or a conservative Parish and Ordinary Form Mass.

Many of us do not want anything to do with the mentality or practices of the 1960’s/1970’s because it reminds us of Protestantism.

Some people feel that individuals in the church have almost white-washed Martin Luther and made him a heroic figure and they refuse to to compromise the Catholic faith.

You have to realize that for many of us Protestants have given us a great deal of pain.

I remember when I was trying just to be Christian and I was deciding whether to be non-denominational Evangelical or Catholic.

I tried being ecumenical for years I was kind of in between Evangelical and Catholic I was almost like a Charismatic Catholic.

After a while I decided that Protestantism was just a abyss of insanity that’s never ending and I embraced the Catholic faith as being true.

Then one day I just sort of snapped and decided that in such an anti-catholic world I was going to dig deep into the roots of my faith and never look back.

I have family members that are Protestants and I find the best ecumenism is just treating others kindly and loving them as best as you can.

I will never see Martin Luther or any of the reformers in favorable light.

Martin Luther might have had a few nuggets of truth but they were nuggets and some reformers had more nuggets than others but that’s all.

I like you as a person I enjoy your company on other threads but it does seem that you’re going through some sort of emotional turmoil in connection to the Catholic Church.

The last time you were on here you were posting on a thread about Pope Francis and the Reformation and then you disappeared for a few months.

You probably had personal issues to deal with in your real life or certainly more important things to do.

It seems that you keep coming back here and keep interacting with Catholics and I keep wondering why because you are so set on being reformed you seem very proud of it.

Perhaps maybe there’s some small spark of an ember of your Catholic faith left?

This is the last thing I’ll probably say.

I agree with a lot of what others have posted on here especially in regards to ecumenism having to do with bringing outsiders into the church.

The reasons people bash ecumenism and treat Martin Lutheran as a proverbial punching bag is because certain persons within the church have turned ecumenism into a coexist bumper sticker.

So when people reject ecumenism what they’re really rejecting is false ecumenism, universalism and indifferentism.

With Martin Luther bashing I think for a lot of people it comes from personal issues in their family life or among peers and there’s a lot of hazings that Catholics have to deal with.

Protestant seem to pretty much treat each other as equals and treat Catholics and Orthodox Christians sometimes as pariahs.

In the United States of America a predominantly Protestant country to many our ancient faith is very alien to them.

What a great image! I never thought of that. But I think it is not Martin Luther that causes this. Perhaps his vehement anti-papal attitude has persisted and spread, but the root I think for the spawning is Sola Scriptura. Once each person makes themselves their own pope, there are as many interpretations as there are belly buttons.

Personally I think Luthor is an over-used villain who needs a rest or to be used more subtly by writers, oh hang on, wrong forum…

Yeah you can thank the Westminster Confession for that one.

VI. There is no other head of the Church but the Lord Jesus Christ.[13] Nor can the Pope of Rome, in any sense, be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, that exalts himself, in the Church, against Christ and all that is called God.[14]

Of course Christ is the head of the Church but the see of Peter is the shepherd of his sheep.

http://www.reformed.org/index.html

http://www.reformed.org/documents/wcf_with_proofs/index.html?body=/documents/wcf_with_proofs/ch_XXV.html

Thinking about it I think John Calvin was much worst.

He’s basically where we get fundamentalist evangelicalism or at least where we can really trace it back to.

In fairness, though, a lot of those Fundamentalist Baptist churches are Arminian, not Calvinist.

Perhaps but I do think they take Calvin’s predestination.

Once saved always saved but if you sinned after being saved you weren’t saved in the first place.

I had a Presbyterian actually tell me that.

It’s complicated, but Arminianism rejects the Calvinist conceptions of predestinations while some adherents (not all) embrace OSAS. See Charles Stanley for a good example.

Are you familiar with the despicable things Luther published about the Jews, just to start?

Indeed, however Luther also published stuff that is far less despicable about them and there are quite a few ECF who have some things that would sound fairly shocking to say about the Jews to us today. Understanding how language was used is also key to understanding the rhetoric that was been engaged in with regards to both cases. Chrysotom sounds pretty awful to modern ears as well when he goes on about the Jews.

I am reminded of a bit in Douglas Adam’s books where he comments that man then goes on to prove white is black and black is white and gets killed on the next zebra crossing.

That’s laugh’s.

Yeah I’m surprised the guy didn’t hand me chick tracks. :roll_eyes:

He did keep handing me a bunch of crap.

Well… the only thing that wasn’t junk was a copy of the Gospel of John.

I had to work security at a Presbyterian Church pretty awful experience for a person trying to figure out what they believe in.

I was treated like a leper.

This guy was the churches custodian and was a retired teacher.

I guess in his mind he was perfect and stainless.
:roll_eyes:

You know what’s funny I was actually going to point that out myself.

I haven’t read Saint John Chrysostom’s writings on the Jews but I know that he lived in the early centuries of Christianity when the Church was being persecuted by various groups.

I’ve read them, they are quite vitriolic. It’s where the phrase ‘synagogue of Satan’ comes from. There is also a line about such beasts been unfit for work, but fit for killing which neo-Nazi groups often yank out of context and quote from him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.