Luther Movie

imdb.com/title/tt0309820/

What did you guys think of this movie?

I've heard some criticism of the storyline, I personally am looking forward to seeing parts of a future work Fr Mitch Pacwa is putting together on the Reformation,viewed from several perspectives.

Boring, boring, boring. Watching paint dry is more entertaining - and I say that as someone who loves foreign and sub-titled movies.

It tried to do too much. I think, if I had been the one making the movie, I might have ended it with the the speech at Worms. PBS did what I consider an outstanding series on Luther a few years ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=ni1gupkGAW0

I ask because while reading reviews I noticed that most Catholics greatly disliked it and most Lutherns just loved it. I was curious if that would hold true on this forum too. :slight_smile:

I’m undecided on whether I want to watch it. I dislike the glamorization of history.

Haven’t seen it, but looking at a synopsis, I can see why people could be mad. I personally don’t know what to think of Luther in real life. He’s a difficult person to learn the facts about. Everyone seems to dramatize everything he did. It sounds like an Ok movie. I’m interested now.

[quote="Redratfish, post:6, topic:208171"]
Haven't seen it, but looking at a synopsis, I can see why people could be mad. I personally don't know what to think of Luther in real life. He's a difficult person to learn the facts about. Everyone seems to dramatize everything he did. It sounds like an Ok movie. I'm interested now.

[/quote]

That's what annoys me. On one side everyone makes him sound like a Saint, on the other everyone completely demonizes him. I'm really like to get a fair, true look at this man. I really would. Mind you I don't have much respect for him but I don't have to. :)

Luther biographies are usually sanitized. :rolleyes:

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:4, topic:208171"]
It tried to do too much. I think, if I had been the one making the movie, I might have ended it with the the speech at Worms. PBS did what I consider an outstanding series on Luther a few years ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=ni1gupkGAW0

[/quote]

Thanks for posting that! It was actually really interesting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.