Lutheran belief about communion

What is the official LCMS teaching on communion? It says it doesnt believe that the bread and wine are turned into the body and blood of christ but that they are the “true body and blood” of christ.

I guess i don’t really see the distinction

start reading at the fourth paragraph
lcms.org/graphics/assets/media/LCMS/wa_fellowship-lordssupper.pdf

They believe the bread and wine have the real presence of Christ with, in, and under, However they do not believe the substance changes. Because they have the real presense of Christ you recieve grace when you take it.

I see,

where in scripture is this derived as compared to the catholic interpretation?

How is this different than the teaching that Jesus is always with us anyhow?

There is a Lutheran Church a stones throw away from my house. They advertise “holy communion” every Sunday at 9am. It seems however they throw it out when they are done. Is this consistant with Luthern Churches?

In the Lutheran church nothing is thrown out after communion. It is usually used up by whoever is cleaning up after communion or is poured into the ground. You cannot throw it out as we don’t throw out that which God has blessed.

Because the presence is not merely a spiritual but a bodily one, and because Christ is present for us in the sacrament by the word of promise. Christ is present everywhere, but His presence is accessible there where He has promised to be. (Luther himself taught that Christ’s bodily presence was everywhere, but I understand that later Lutherans abandoned this rather odd view.)

Edwin

In communion Christ presence is different than just being with us generally because we receive special graces when we receive him. We believe in the true presence of Christ in the wine and bread we just don’t belive the substance changes and we recieve forgivness of sins and to some extent salvation when we take it. Perhaps another Lutheran on this site can explain it better

I could turn that around a bit if I wished, couldn’t I? Christ spoke of the bread and wine being his body and blood. Where did he speak about the “accidents” remaining and transubstantiation in particular? The answer, of course, is that neither He nor Scripture spoke of it…but transubstantiation remains the Catholic teaching on the issue. I incline to think of it as being a Holy Mystery as to how the transformation actually takes place and as to the details of the transformation. Otherwise, the Lutheran approach of “in, with and under” makes the most sense to me since we can still see and taste the bread and wine (or their “accidents” if you insist…).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.