Lutheran communion, and other apologetics issues: recommended literature?

Friends,

It’s been a truly long while since I’ve posted here, but I was hoping that you could give me some help. While I am quite competent to draft my own responses to various apologetics problems, I am looking for a book which will be helpful for someone else to read. I have been asked for a recommendation.

Please do not give reasons. I need resources which can be read by a friend, not to be able to argue these topics.

Here are topics that would be important to be covered:

(1) Why receive communion in the Catholic Church, and not in a Lutheran church?

and

(2) How a spouse should explain to her other spouse and children her decision to practice in the Catholic Church now, and no longer in the Lutheran church.

To whatever degree these aren’t denominational specific, of course, it would be fine to have apologetics that aren’t specifically aimed at Lutherans.

I’m also wondering whether there is any literature out there on,

(3) The truth of the Catholic view of Holy Orders, as opposed to the Lutheran doctrine of the priesthood of all believers.

I really appreciate the help. Let me just reiterate, I need references to literature, or even to websites if you’ve found any. I don’t need to go over any arguments. (Indeed, in the past on Catholic Answers I’ve had a lot of fun making my own arguments about these problems.) So please don’t start tackling issues, please just offer suggestions, because I’m not familiar with the apologetics literature, and that’s where I need education.

Thanks!

God bless,
Rob

i dont know but may be this will help.

thecatholictreasurechest.com/index.htm

Actually, CCC 1268 has this to say about baptism:

The baptized have become “living stones” to be “built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood.” By Baptism they share in the priesthood of Christ, in his prophetic and royal mission. They are “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, that [they] may declare the wonderful deeds of him who called [them] out of darkness into his marvelous light.” Baptism gives a share in the common priesthood of all believers.

Whenever we serve God (for example, by worshipping Him) we participate in this common / universal priesthood of all believers. But, it is the role of the ministerial priesthood (by virtue of Holy Orders) to serve the people of God (for example, by offering Mass, hearing confessions, etc.) In fact, one of the Pope’s titles is “Servant of the Servants of God”

This article goes into more detail about why we have a ministerial priesthood.

And this article explains by what authority Catholic priests receive their Holy Orders – and why a congregation’s vote cannot suffice, Scripturally speaking, to appoint a man as “pastor,” since the congregation (of inferior authority) cannot confer superior authority upon a man.

I just have to chime in, as I see posts similar to this from time to time.

Also, I must also preface by saying, yes, I was raised Lutheran, but this just as easily applies to any denomination.

It sounds like you are trying to help one spouse in converting, and defending against the other spouse. All I can say is please be careful. This always seems to me to be an area that might be better left for the couple to decide.

I am not saying “don’t answer questions” or “tell her not to convert”, all I am saying is to be thoughtful of this couples marriage. I would say the same for two Catholics. I wouldn’t want to step in and push considering the potential consequences. Does this make sense?

M

Sorry Rob, just re-read your post. Maybe I was off base, I don’t know what your goal is. You also asked for no comments from the peanut gallery! Ha

PassingThru,

I’m just trying to find literature for a person who requested it, on this subject. Your concerns are mine as well. I pray that God’s grace sorts this out, however it may go. I’m wary of telling this person to use any particular arguments-- they tend not to go over well in relationships.

I appreciate your post.

Did you read any specific literature, en route to your conversion?

Thanks!

wisdomseeker,

Thanks.

Erich,

Thanks for the links on the ministerial priesthood. That should be helpful. Does anyone know any compilations of patristic quotations on holy orders and the distinct ministerial priesthood? Thanks!

Sincerely,
Rob

Hey Rob,

Actually, I haven’t converted! My wife is Catholic, which is what brought me here for a few questions originally.

This opinion is probably not shared here :eek: but the way I look at it, if both couples are Catholic or Lutheran, sharing their faith is likely a huge strength in their marriage. I wouldn’t like to see a group of people enthusiastically trying to convert one of them without regard to what that may do to the couple. If they are a good and faithful couple, I am not very concerned with whether they are Lutheran or Catholic, I think the marriage is not worth the sacrifice to switch either way. (Not saying this is you! I just don’t like it when I see it.)

So, to your question, nope, I don’t have any good reading to recommend! I could talk about how I am OK with both her choices, and really get a good firestorm started! :smiley:

M

Ah, I see. I should have looked more closely. I misread your statement, “I was raised Lutheran” to imply an opposition.

This opinion is probably not shared here :eek: but the way I look at it, if both couples are Catholic or Lutheran, sharing their faith is likely a huge strength in their marriage. I wouldn’t like to see a group of people enthusiastically trying to convert one of them without regard to what that may do to the couple. If they are a good and faithful couple, I am not very concerned with whether they are Lutheran or Catholic, I think the marriage is not worth the sacrifice to switch either way. (Not saying this is you! I just don’t like it when I see it.)

“Seek ye first the Kingdom of God” never means “abandon charity to your friends.” But it’s very difficult for most people to deal with these issues-- and for good reason, they are difficult issues to deal with.

So, to your question, nope, I don’t have any good reading to recommend! I could talk about how I am OK with both her choices, and really get a good firestorm started! :smiley:

M

Indeed-- and thank you for not doing so.

God bless,
Rob

=RobNY;6060429]Friends,

It’s been a truly long while since I’ve posted here, but I was hoping that you could give me some help. While I am quite competent to draft my own responses to various apologetics problems, I am looking for a book which will be helpful for someone else to read. I have been asked for a recommendation.

Please do not give reasons. I need resources which can be read by a friend, not to be able to argue these topics.

Hi Rob,
To the extent I can help…

(1) Why receive communion in the Catholic Church, and not in a Lutheran church?

This is an interesting article from the LCMS website about close communion, which both the Catholic Church and the LCMS practice.
lcmsdistricts.org/graphics/assets/media/Minnesota%20North/sevenmyths.pdf

(3) The truth of the Catholic view of Holy Orders, as opposed to the Lutheran doctrine of the priesthood of all believers.

This probably doesn’t help, but the Lutheran teaching of the Priesthood of all believers is not a repudiation of orders. Article 14.
bookofconcord.com/augsburgconfession.php

Best of luck in your search,
Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.