Lutheran Interested in becomming Catholic

hello everyone
Im a baptized lutheran interested in becomming Catholic ive kind of always leaned in this direction any thoughts? Thanks:)

My suggestion is to read the writings of the Early Church Fathers.

That is what convinced me.

could you elaborate?

What got me interested (I’m also Lutheran) was reading about apparitions of Mary at Lourdes, Fatima, etc., and the beautiful prayers and rosaries. I saw a video that my mom had rented for a neighbor which was about Marian apparitions that my neighbor wanted, and wondered why Lutherans don’t seem to have any of that stuff happen.

Google is your friend. :slight_smile: (Just watch out for breakaway sites that claim to be Catholic, but aren’t - I’ve stumbled on a few during my long search).

so you are now catholic right? what are the steps?

forums.catholic.com/images/ads/banner_becath.gif

Listen to the Fundamentals of Catholicism
trueteaching.net/

This priest is really great, very down to earth. I have a couple of other priests who have sermons on a website, who inspire me (ie. one reduces me to tears regularly).

Not yet (long story), but what you could do is find a local parish (www.masstimes.org can find churches in your area), and ask about RCIA. RCIA classes are actually ending, since this Sunday is Easter, but you might be able to start in September. It’s good even if you want to find out more about Catholicism.

When I started my conversion, about 20 years ago, I just picked up the phone and called the nearest parish office. I told the lady who answered that I was interested in becoming a Catholic. She made an appointment for me with the pastor, and I met with him a few days later. After a short conversation, in which he asked about my prior formation, he decided on a course of action. That parish didn’t have an RCIA program… evidently it was fairly rare in that area for adult Protestants to become Catholic. So, he gave my wife and me instructions himself in the rectory, usually once or twice a week, for several months. We both had already been baptized in a Protestant denomination, and those baptisms were valid, so the instruction led up to confirmation and first communion, and the blessing of our civil marriage.

So, I would start with a phone call to a parish of your choice. You might consider visiting a few parishes for Mass before you decide which one to contact. Just so as to go to one you feel more comfortable with. There’s no reason not to begin your study before you start actual RCIA classes, and Mass attendance is a great way to become familiar with Catholic worship and liturgy. The Catechism is online, and there are a couple of smaller versions of it for U.S. Catholics, if you are in the U.S., one called the Compendium of the Catholic Catechism, and another one compiled specifically for adults that is produced by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. There is a tremendous amount of material here at Catholic Answers. In fact, the Catholic Church now has a huge web presence, enough to keep you busy for a long time!

God bless, and welcome!

call your nearest Catholic parish (or attend Mass for a few weeks and several surrounding parishes to get a sense of where you feel most welcome and at home) and ask about RCIA, classes are forming now for Easter 2008. Welcome home. If you are asking, you are already well on the road.

go to CA homepage and read tracts and library articles on topics of interest or conflict for you, if you have questions, discuss here on the appropriate forum.

Hi JUPITERMADCAT,

Welcome to our forums :slight_smile:

Have you been to a Catholic Mass? If not, find the local Catholic Church near you, and go to a Mass. You aren’t allowed to receive the Eucharist, but it will let you see how we worship. I know as a Lutheran, most things will be familiar to you.

Afterwards, see the priest, if he isn’t too busy, or grab a new parishioner’s pack if they have them, or leave your name and number at the church, and speak to the priest.

He will put guide you as to what you need to do.

Welcome to the beginning of your journey home :hug1:

JupiterMadCat,
I think that your best course of action, as everyone has suggested, is to talk with a Catholic priest in your area. He wil be able to gauge your discernment into becoming Catholic. Because it is a life-long commitment, he would wantto make absolutely sure you are ready to journey home. He will also be able to decide the best course of action based on your level of understanding of Christian theology, doctrines, etc. You may not need to go through RCIA, but RCIA might be a great way to “reset” your understanding of Christian theology. This entire process requires faith, dedication, and perserverance. Good Luck.

Welcome home.

Dominus vobsicum

From one former lutheran, now Catholic, to another lutheran wanting to become Catholic…

WELCOME HOME TO ROME!!! :thumbsup:

I joined up and am now a priest. I LOVE being Catholic. Check us out, we won’t twist your arm. I am glad I did.

Happy Easter everyone.

I was a life-long Lutheran. At age 40 I decided to convert to Catholicism. Best thing I ever did. Welcome home!

As far as advice - I enjoyed the conversion stories like those told in the “Surprised by Truth” series. Read, read, read. Go to Mass. Talk to a priest.

God bless you.

My advice? Don’t feel dumb calling up the local parish and asking, “My husband and I are interested in converting…soooo…how would we go about doing that?” (which is exactly what I did)

Godspeed!
C

Welcome home and welcome to the forums from a cradle Catholic that has always enjoyed his Lutheran friends.

Welcome Home!

You received great advice. Please do as suggested and contact a local priest. I can’t wait to welcome you home for good! May God continue to bless you on your journey.

:amen:

I too was a baptized Lutheran before converting. As everyone else said, get into an RCIA program starting in the fall. You’ll get all the basics there. Bear in mind, there’s no obligation by signing up for the class. Some will leave after the first week, some will leave near the end, and some will complete it and become Catholic. The whole point is for people to go there and learn all about the Church and decide if it’s right for them.

Personally, I was hooked after the third week or so and knew I’d be completing it (not that there weren’t bumps along the way after that).

Becoming Catholic was the best decision I’ve made in my life.

And to second what someone else said, if you have been going to traditional Lutheran services as I did, you’ll be amazed at how similar it is to the Catholic Mass. As I’ve gone deeper into the Catholic faith, I continue to be amazed at the theological similarities between Catholic and Lutherans (as opposed to other Protestants).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.