(Lutheran) Minister Who Denied God Exists Back in Pulpit (AP)

By JAN M. OLSEN
Associated Press Writer
May 30, 7:09 AM ET

TAARBAEK, Denmark - A Danish Lutheran minister who publicly denied the existence of God said Sunday he was glad to be back in the pulpit, but refused to speak about the case that led to his brief suspension last year.

Rev. Thorkild Grosboell was showered with flowers, hugs and kisses after holding a service in a church in this village eight miles north of Copenhagen.

“It was great, great,” Grosboell said after the service, but refused to speak to reporters about the case, which he described in his sermon as “nonsense.”

The country’s Evangelical Lutheran Church suspended him in June 2004 because he said in an interview that “there is no heavenly God.” Earlier this month, he was reinstated after renewing his vows, but will remain under the supervision of a bishop.

Some 250 people filled the small, 140-year-old, red-brick church and then gathered on a nearby lawn for a drink to celebrate the popular minister’s return.

“It’s a great relief, a great joy to have you back,” Lars Heilesen, head of the parish council, told Grosboell.

“Welcome back, Thorkild, we missed you,” one churchgoer said, kissing Grosboell, who has been the village minister since 1991.

In Denmark, where Lutheran ministers are employed by the state and only the government can fire them or take them to court, the church requested Grosboell be placed before a disciplinary labor court for doubting eternal life and the resurrection. . . .

Full article

If this guy says that there is no heavenly God, I wonder what his basis is for being in the pulpit? I mean, what’s he talking about in the pulpit if he thinks God does not exist? What is he preaching about when he thinks there is nothing to preach? LOL :confused:

[quote=stumbler]… Danish Lutheran minister who publicly denied the existence of God said Sunday he was glad to be back in the pulpit…
[/quote]

So does this Protestant theology still actually surprise anyone here? It’s called REformation!

it doesn,t suprise this half lutheran,we are talking about europe aren,t we,however catholics may want to take the plank out of there own eye before throwing stones at others.how many pedophile priests were shuffled about and protected and allowed to continue to scar the souls and lives of the innocent,all the while they were supposedly god,s representative on earth. in christian unity,celt

[quote=azcelt]it doesn,t suprise this half lutheran,we are talking about europe aren,t we,however catholics may want to take the plank out of there own eye before throwing stones at others.how many pedophile priests were shuffled about and protected and allowed to continue to scar the souls and lives of the innocent,all the while they were supposedly god,s representative on earth. in christian unity,celt
[/quote]

Well, this is true, but I think we just don’t understand why a minister would say he doesn’t believe in God…it just doesn’t make sense. Like a bunch of vegetarians exchanging meatloaf recipes. Does he stand for something or not? I’m confused, anyway.

Ministers are human and pehaps he went through a very trying time in his personal life and he actually did doubt God’s existence. I think sometimes we think that priests and ministers are above normal human frailty. If he went for help and renewed his vows, it seems like he is back on track. Perhaps it was more of a mental breakdown of sorts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.