Lutheran question about once saved

I know that there are many different sects of Lutherans. (If that is not the correct wording, I apologize.)

I know, then, that one answer might not apply to all different kinds of Lutherans.

With that said, what is the official teaching by Lutherans on once saved always saved?

Asking more or less the same question, after one has become a Christian, can one lose one’s salvation during our earthly life after one has become a Christian?

I do not want to get into a conversation about which kind of teaching is correct or from the Bible. I am just curious about the official teaching.

THANKS!

Lutherans do not believe in “eternal security”. They believe faith is required for justification of the sinner. And one can abandon one’s faith. (My background for answering this question is that I have a Master of Divinity degree from Luther Seminary in St. Paul, MN)

John, you are a total saint.

THANKS!!!

I owe you.

You saved me a lot of time and reading. I may never had the time to do the reading.

Hi Jim,
Just in support of John’s post, this from the Augsburg Confession:

Article XII: Of Repentance.

1] Of Repentance they teach that for those who have fallen after Baptism there is remission of sins whenever they are converted 2] and that the Church ought to impart absolution to those thus returning to repentance. Now, repentance consists properly of these 3] two parts: One is contrition, that is, 4] terrors smiting the conscience through the knowledge of sin; the other is faith, which is born of 5] the Gospel, or of absolution, and believes that for Christ’s sake, sins are forgiven, comforts 6] the conscience, and delivers it from terrors. Then good works are bound to follow, which are the fruits of repentance.

7] They condemn the Anabaptists, who deny that those once justified can lose the Holy Ghost. Also those who contend that some may attain to such 8] perfection in this life that they cannot sin.

9] The Novatians also are condemned, who would not absolve such as had fallen after Baptism, though they returned to repentance.

10] They also are rejected who do not teach that remission of sins comes through faith but command us to merit grace through satisfactions of our own.

bookofconcord.org/augsburgconfession.php#article4

Jon

WOW!!!

I know so little!

THANKS!!!

Jesus says only in my Church AD33. Luther says something else. I got a hunch.I will take Jesus for the win and a free trip to Heaven.This game show is easy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.