Lutheran to Catholic

I was born and raised a Southern Baptist. When my first child was born, we became Lutherans. I had my children baptized in the Lutheran church. I am an organist and Music Director in the Lutheran Church now, and have been a Lutheran for over 25 years. I love the liturgy and everything about Lutheran Church. In my job, I worked alongside a Catholic for a short time. We became friends, and we shared many common beliefs. He gave me a rosary. He and his wife spoke with me about Mary and the rosary during this time. I was going through a terrible time… worrying about one of my children who was struggling with an eating disorder. I remember my friend asking me: who would understand your worry and concern over your chid more than Mary? I was so touched , and it planted a seed , which I’ve been pondering for years now. I am considering converting. I have a deep, persistent desire to learn more about the Catholic Church. I feel like this would be where I would feel fulfilled and at home. HOWEVER, I am divorced and remarried to a divorced man. Our previous spouses committed adultery. What do we do? My husband is also a Lutheran and is also draw to the Catholic Church.

1 Like

You should live with your current “husband” as brother and sister, because that is what the church requires.

I’m so glad that you’re considering converting to the catholic faith! You can be assured of my prayers that you may come to the truth and do the right thing!

1 Like

God bless you on your journey…I would suggest that you log in to here…where you will find many in the same situation as yours…and you will find support and help, I hope…https://chnetwork.org/

A Network for Catholic Converts and Those on the Journey
This journey can be difficult. It often results in the loss of friends and family, as well as the loss of career and financial support in the case of pastors or ministers. It usually requires a rethinking of one’s doctrinal and moral convictions, as well as one’s vocation as a child of God. It can be a very lonely experience. Sometimes the most difficult part of the journey occurs after one has come home. Inquirers and converts need the friendship of others who understand what they are experiencing.

It was to provide this sense of connection that the Coming Home Network was formed. We began to share conversion stories via our newsletter, to work with people on the journey to Catholicism and connect them with other converts, and to create new opportunities for fellowship, such as our online community and regional retreats. The fellowship grew and now every week the Lord adds new members as clergy and laity from other traditions seek assistance and encouragement as they consider coming home to the Catholic Church.

First, about the divorce/remarriage thing, talk to a priest! Seek an annulment (AKA “declaration of nullity”). This will tell you both whether or not your previous marriages were valid. If they weren’t, you’re free to marry(/be married)! But if either of your marriages are refused a declaration of nullity, that means that the marriage(s) was valid. And, well… if they are valid… you both will be living in a state of adultery. Be warned, the anullment process is not fast. It can take months to a year. For now, I suggest living as brother and sister together. It’s the safest/most prudent thing to do, although I can only imagine that it will get difficult at times.

Second, I’m glad you’re considering conversion to the Catholic faith! You’re in my prayers, as well as your family, because the annulment process can be hard.

But, of course, you should talk to a priest!!! This is essential. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Best to contact your local Catholic parish and make an appointment with a priest. He can answer your questions and help guide you in the right direction. Marital situations like yours can be resolved if both parties are willing. If your conscience is leading you to the Catholic Church, it is God’s call.

1 Like

You’ve been climbing uphill for a while, and you see, the closer you get to home the easier the climb. Contact your local parish priest - whatever parish is closest to you, and get the ball rolling. Keep praying the Rosary - a devotion to the Blessed Mother is a sign of God’s special graces for you. It is a sure sign of conversion. God Bless you! We are praying for you!

1 Like

First you should start to visit Catholic Churches in your area. Attend Mass when you can (please don’t receive communion yet). Call the secretary of the parish you like and give her/him a call, they can put you in touch with the folks who work with inquires into the Catholic Church.

As far as marriage issues, nothing needs to be done until you decide to join. At that time you can work with the RCIA folks or the priest to seek solutions to your marriage issues.

1 Like

The answer is that you should talk to a Catholic priest. Your marriages could be an issue if your previous spouses are still alive. A Catholic pastor has training on how to deal with these issues.

2 Likes

Good advice from everyone.

You mentioned you love the Lutheran rite. Well, good news. There have been quite a few Anglicans who converted to Catholicism who were allowed to keep their liturgy in the Church. I know you are Lutheran but maybe check them out. They aren’t everywhere but maybe you will get lucky and have one in your backyard.

1 Like

excellent advice

Talk to a Priest and begin RCIA. God planted the seed and now you must make it grow,

1 Like

Visit your local Catholic Church and speak with the priest. Perhaps you could start the annulment process now and see what happens. Most dioceses today have stopped charging for annulments (but they do request a donation if you are able).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.