Lutherans Apologize to Mennonites

Better late than never, I suppose.:smiley:

STUTTGART, Germany (RNS/ENInews) A global Lutheran assembly in Germany has asked for forgiveness for the 16th-century persecution of Anabaptists, the religious reformers whose modern-day descendants include Mennonites.

“We remember how Anabaptist Christians knew suffering and persecution, and we remember how some of our most honored Reformation leaders defended this persecution in the name of faithfulness,” said Bishop Mark Hanson, president of the Lutheran World Federation, at a joint service of repentance with Mennonites on Thursday (July 22).

Anabaptists, whose originally pejorative name means “re-baptizers,” stressed the need to baptize Christian believers, including those who had been baptized as infants. Both Protestants and Catholics persecuted Anabaptists as heretics, and many fled to America.

“I think it would be naive to say that this (service) is an end to it. … For me, it is a beginning; it is a process that all of us have to work on, all of us have to pass on to each new generation,” the president of the Mennonite World Conference, the Rev. Danisa Ndlovu, told ENInews after the joint service.

The successors of the Anabaptists are found in groups such as the Amish, Hutterites and Mennonites.

I was raised in a Mennonite church and they are well known for doing good works. But there is a lack of faith talk as it relates to Jesus. Communion was a scarce event and I always wanted more and now I see why - recieving Jesus blood and body. It was always a symbol and only that. In my adult life, I have attended other Protestant churchs but never became a member. I am drawn to the search and study of the catholic church and to prayer.

Welcome, we will be happy to help you in any way that we can.

Blessings to you.

That’s interesting. My great-great-great something grandfather was a mennonite and fled from Switzerland to the Netherlands in the 1700’s. A few generations later they came to America.

I’m catholic from my mom’s side btw. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.