Lutherans begin monthly climate fast [CC]

The Lutheran World Federation ? the Lutheran umbrella organization whose members include 142 Lutheran ecclesial bodies in 79 nations ? has begun a monthly day of fasting for climate ...

More...

Fasting for the sake of a belief in manmade global warming? Goodness!

There's a Lutheran church just a few blocks from where I sit at this moment. I wonder if any of the members got up this morning, saw that it was 10 degrees outside, and decided to eat a hearty breakfast.

[quote="Catholic_Press, post:1, topic:350177"]
The Lutheran World Federation ? the Lutheran umbrella organization whose members include 142 Lutheran ecclesial bodies in 79 nations ? has begun a monthly day of fasting for climate ...

More...

[/quote]

They can feel free to fast but I'll have to eat extra so I can stay warm.

The Lutheran World Federation – the Lutheran umbrella organization whose members include 142 Lutheran ecclesial bodies in 79 nations – has begun a monthly day of fasting for climate justice.

The day of fasting takes place on the first day of each month.

“We ask our LWF member churches to share this invitation and to embark on a Day of Fast for the Climate; to be active advocates in the context of climate change and climate justice,” said Carlos Bock, director of the federation’s Department for Mission and Development.

What is "climate justice?"

I can see fasting for the purpose of being in solidarity with certain island states whose land is dissappearing due to ocean levels rising.

Or fasting as a protest against genetically modified foods.

Or really any one of a number of issues that affect the environment and more importantly people in countries affected strongly by drought, floods, etc.

But I've never heard of climate justice and I don't see how fasting once a month is going to help that.

And PS, yes even here a bit south of the Mason Dixon line we'll have a high of 25 today or something crazy like that. We too had a good breakfast. ;)

Man-made global warming/climate change is largely overrated.

There's a certain arrogance to think we have the power to change the world so much.

We all pray for different things, I guess. It's nice to know that someone's got "climate justice" covered. I have to admit it's never been among my intentions.

This is the first time I ever hear of "climate justice". I had to google it to see what it is.

"Climate justice is generally used as a term for viewing climate change as an ethical issue and considering how its causes and effects relate to concepts of justice, particularly social justice and environmental justice"

More...

[/quote]

:eek: Can't think of anything charitable to say about such nonsense. I wonder what Martin would think about his Church today, from Female Pastors to Global Warming advocates.

Linus2nd

[quote="Linusthe2nd, post:8, topic:350177"]
:eek: Can't think of anything charitable to say about such nonsense. I wonder what Martin would think about his Church today, from Female Pastors to Global Warming advocates.

Linus2nd

[/quote]

What would Jesus say about priest child molesters? I wouldn't throw stones while living in a glass house.

[quote="Linusthe2nd, post:8, topic:350177"]

Linus2nd

[/quote]

They're not "Global Warming advocates." If anything, they're the opposite.

As for this all being "nonsense," it's nothing of the sort.

usccb.org/issues-and-action/human-life-and-dignity/environment/environmental-justice-program/

catholicclimatecovenant.org/

[quote="Mrs_Sally, post:4, topic:350177"]
What is "climate justice?"

I can see fasting for the purpose of being in solidarity with certain island states whose land is dissappearing due to ocean levels rising.

Or fasting as a protest against genetically modified foods.

Or really any one of a number of issues that affect the environment and more importantly people in countries affected strongly by drought, floods, etc.

But I've never heard of climate justice and I don't see how fasting once a month is going to help that.

And PS, yes even here a bit south of the Mason Dixon line we'll have a high of 25 today or something crazy like that. We too had a good breakfast. ;)

[/quote]

Climate "justice" is where developed nations give out large sums of money to less developed nations to be used by their leaders mostly for personal gain.

[quote="Yerusalyim, post:11, topic:350177"]
Climate "justice" is where developed nations give out large sums of money to less developed nations to be used by their leaders mostly for personal gain.

[/quote]

But I thought good intentions were enough.....:shrug::rolleyes:

[quote="Country_Gal, post:9, topic:350177"]
What would Jesus say about priest child molesters? I wouldn't throw stones while living in a glass house.

[/quote]

Considering how non-Catholics (Protestants for starters) go on "sex vacations" into the Third World seeking out underage kids, I would agree: glass house. But I guess it's easy to do those things know you're saved just from believing (and think there is no purgatory) or someone who just thinks that life is full of choices and morality is relative.

Also, the Catholic Church abuse pales in comparison to what goes in the USA public education system, but I don't hear anyone screaming about that.

At any rate, the climate of this planet has always been changing and people need to adapt. Contrary to what the anti-fossil fuels movement would have you believe, trying to control the climate by limiting carbon emissions actually causes more prominent environmental problems elsewhere.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lAVHOFnzJp0/TPJ7Sr2aTiI/AAAAAAAACGE/UqAPe5dFqlU/s400/Martin_Luther_2.jpg

Martin Luther (founder) - Probably Never Did One

http://www.christimages.org/images_Christ_life/Temptation-of-Christ-_Ary-Scheffer.jpg

Jesus (Church founder) - fasted 40 days - to keep us from a hotter place

christimages.org/biblestories/temptation_of_jesus.htm < image above credited as "The Temptation of Christ" -- Ary Scheffer, 1854

From the Lutheran Satire channel on YouTube, "Not My Kind of Lutheran"
youtube.com/watch?v=0Nx8QqiADyw

A lot of the bits on this channel are hilarious. If the pastor who does them ever swims the Tiber I bet he'd go FSSP.

[quote="Country_Gal, post:9, topic:350177"]

[/quote]

I'm sure He has already dealt with that. The difference is that this movement is Church directed. And BTY, the odious behavior you mention is prevalent throughout society, and more prevalent in secular institutions. It is neither directed nor condoned by the Church.

Linus2nd

[quote="Linusthe2nd, post:16, topic:350177"]
I'm sure He has already dealt with that. The difference is that this movement is Church directed. And BTY, the odious behavior you mention is prevalent throughout society, and more prevalent in secular institutions. It is neither directed nor condoned by the Church.

Linus2nd

[/quote]

There is a wall of protection and silence in the Catholic Hierarchy regarding sexual offenses commited by members of the clergy. It IS an institutional problem, far worse than fasting to help avert climate change. :mad:

More...

[/quote]

Be a lot of snow cones available when they are done.

[quote="EmeraldOak, post:7, topic:350177"]
This is the first time I ever hear of "climate justice". I had to google it to see what it is.

"Climate justice is generally used as a term for viewing climate change as an ethical issue and considering how its causes and effects relate to concepts of justice, particularly social justice and environmental justice"

[/quote]

Arguably the best definition of climate justice is" carbon taxes"

Well, another reason I am thankful my synod (WELS) as well as the ELS and the LCMS are not members of the LWF. This is just bizarre!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.