"Lutherans move toward more open view on gays" (AP)

MINNEAPOLIS — Leaders of the country’s largest Lutheran denomination have agreed to disagree on homosexuality, endorsing an official statement on human sexuality that says there’s room in the church for differing views on an issue that’s divided other religious groups.

Delegates to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America’s nationwide assembly in Minneapolis on Wednesday approved a “social statement on human sexuality.” The vote was a prelude to a bigger debate Friday, when delegates will tackle a proposal that would allow individual ELCA congregations to hire people in committed same-sex relationships as clergy.

Calling all ECLA Lutherans: could this cause a schism?

:heart: Love is Patient

TECs move this summer is only the beginning. ELCA is probably going to follow suit followed by PCUSA. This will eventually influence UMC. Homosexual clergy and belssings will probably become the norm for the mainline protestants just like female clergy.

**We as Catholics are commanded by Jesus Christ to love every one!
We do not condone everyone’s actions.

If i murder an innocent person, i have committed a grave sin and risk the eternal damnation of my soul if i do not repent! i would hope that someone of a strong moral character would guide me to the Truth!

“Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.” (CCC 2357)

Condoning or ignoring immoral behavior is a sin in itself. Jesus told us "Then he will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.’ (Mt 25:45).

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei,Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

It is too early to tell. At the same time, I have heard members of the ELCA (and whole congregations as well) who have said that they would leave the ELCA if these proposals are approved. However, talk is cheap. We’ll have to wait and see what happens.

In the meantime, please keep prayers going for those who remain faithful to the traditional teachings of the church.

IMO, this is another very good example of why we need a Magisterium.

And also why Call to Action and like groups (those who promote same-sex attraction/partnerships as the same or equal to heterosexual marriage) need to leave the Church – if one does not believe what the Church teaches, one is obligated to leave. I don’t understand why they stay (except to be rebellious and a thorn in the sides of our bishops). I suppose CTA members do not think they are putting their souls in danger? They have created a “de facto” schism; very sad, and confusing to many inside as well as outside the RC Church.

CTA would like the Church to be run by democratic vote, even up to who gets to be Pope. I think we’ve had enough examples of what happens to the Faith when that becomes instituted.

We must continue to pray for these separated bros. & sisters to come Home.

Here is the link at which I saw the story (which is also posted at New Oxford Review):

catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=16882

One of the comments was that “all Lutherans are heretics” (someone from Poland), which I would not agree with. They may not be aware or acknowledge that they follow a heretic. I’m currently reading Roots of the Reformation (available through the Coming Home Network). Yes, the Church was indeed a moral mess and in need of reform in 1517, and the reform from within did come after Luther’s rebellion. I sure am glad I didn’t live in those times and now can live in peace with Lutherans, but feel sorry they accept so much revisionist history.

Mimi

[quote=VARC;]Homosexual clergy and blessings will probably become the norm for the mainline protestants just like female clergy.
[/quote]

Are you going to blame that on Metropolitan Community Church?
This was the first Protestant denomination to actively recruit gay/lesbian clergy.

jonathon

[quote=Love is Patient;]Calling all ECLA Lutherans: could this cause a schism?
[/quote]

• Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
  • Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod
    rounds out the three largest Lutheran denominations in the US.

It might be possible for individual ELCA congregations to fold into either of the above, or any of the other plethora of Lutheran denominations that exist.(I’ll grant that ECLA, LCMS, and WELS have some theological differences. Those differences could be ironed out.)

jonathon

It is curious that the ELCA was formed, at least in part, in response to the Seminex “schism” in the LCMS.

Originally posted by Mimi
IMO, this is another very good example of why we need a Magisterium.

Maybe you’re right Mimi, maybe you’re right. But as you yourself pointed out, there are Catholics who hold very similar views, in spite of Scripture, Tradition, and the Magisterium.
Evidence is here that some, regardless of the faith communion they are in, believe strongly that the “modern, enlightened” view of same-gender relationships is not only better than the “old, bigoted” view, but also justifiable by Scripture.

Jon

The difference is that although individual Catholics may hold such views the Church never will.

It is unfortunate this is happening-until the Luthererans started ordaiing women I thought there was a real possiblity they might unify with the Church. This is just another nail in the coffin as far as unifying goes.

Well, one has to keep praying that other groups, like the LCMS, will begin to open up more to dialogue with Rome, as we have not adopted the liberal approach taken by the ELCA.

Jon

Amen. I keep forgetting there is more than once Branch of Lutherans.

Jon,

The Catholic Church will never hold such views, even if many catholic people would agree to such filth, the Catholic Church would never, why? Because the Catholic Church can not erro in it’s moral teachings, if it did, then the gates of hell prevailed over it, and we know that will never happen.

If Martin Luther, could of seen the future of the Church he started and the chaos it is in today, he would of never have protested. Jesus Christ is always correct, (What is built on sand falls apart, and what is built on Rock lasts forever.)

Ufam Tobie

Jon, Jon

Truth is Prayer is Good, but the truth also is that all protestants should come HOME! There is no dialogue needed for this to happen, all that it is needed is for them and yourself to come HOME, it is so simple you can start your Journey home today just let your pride go, and put your trust in Jesus Christ and His Church and come HOME, I tell you the door is Open now, there is no need for dialogue between the Churches to enter through that door. Now this is what we should pray for.

I’m praying for it. Amen

Ufam Tobie

The inverted Cross atop Central Lutheran Church in Minneapolis dangled from the steeple on Wednesday following a rare downtown twister as the ELCA Churchwide Assembly was in legislative session across the street at the Minneapolis Convention Center.

things that make you go hmmm . . .indeed :frighten:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.