Lutherans teach that Catholics have Mary because of a "distorted view of Jesus?"

Seriously?

youtube.com/watch?v=f7xy4urg70U&feature=related

Fast-forward to about the 2:00 mark for the segment I am referring to.

In fact, if you look to the side bar, this Pastor has several videos that make me laugh. Is this seriously what Lutherans teach?

I would say that is his personal opinion and not a purely Lutheran Church perspective. I have to say I don’t totally disagree with his thoughts…mostly but not totally. I would also pay attention to what he says about other denominations ignoring Mary and how Lutherans fall somewhere between Catholics and others in their views of Mary.

And keep in mind, I look at a lot of Catholic teaching videos and roll my eyes and laugh out loud — and for better or worse so do many of the Catholics I know.

Can you please be specific of a video? One about Mary?

what concepts are Catholics rolling their eyes at?

Is what seriously what Lutherans believe? That there were times in Christian history that some viewed Christ as a stern judge? Or that Lutherans do not pray to her?

I have watched some of the things that Pastor Lattner has said. In terms of mariology, Lutherans have a broad range of beliefs, due to the fact that we view much of mariology as adiaphora.
With a basis of scripture and the early councils, Lutherans believe that Mary :
1)was a virgin at Jesus conception
2)is the Holy Theotokos - the God bearer.
3)that she and the saints pray for the Church Militant

Lutherans are free to believe that Mary was:

1. ever virgin
  2. immaculately concieved
  3. sinless as the result of God’s grace
  4. assumed into Heaven

In fact, if you look to the side bar, this Pastor has several videos that make me laugh.

Sorry you found it so funny. My only criticism of the Pastor is I believe his comments reflect a lack of understanding of Catholic teaching.

Jon

Sorry, I guess I didn’t clarify very well. I too believe that the Pastors understanding is less than perfect, that is what gave me the chuckle.

Exactly what video ‘teachings’ do you find amusing? Are they poorly filmed,cheesy…or what?

Sorry,but the Lutheran priest is wrong about Mary and that in order for her to be sinless,her mother also had to be sinless.WRONG!

I believe that is what JonNC was referring to when he said he believed the Pastors understanding of Cathoolicism to be less than perfect.

Evidently!

=dnu;6913161] Sorry, I guess I didn’t clarify very well. I too believe that the Pastors understanding is less than perfect, that is what gave me the chuckle.

I don’t know the Pastor, so I don’t want to be too critical, but I understand your reaction, now that you’ve clarified. Thanks

Originally Posted by **Nicea325 **
Sorry,but the Lutheran priest is wrong about Mary and that in order for her to be sinless,her mother also had to be sinless.WRONG!

Well, more than that, he referred to Catholic veneration of the Blessed Virgin as “adoration”.
Jon

It’s not too unusual for Lutherans to be less that fully knowledgeable about Catholic beliefs. I’m probably ahead of many of my peers, but I don’t pretend to understand everything. But then, I don’t post You-Tube videos of myself trying to explain things that I don’t understand.

I will say that I am aware of the fallacies that the pastor in the video was propounding. I’ve been around CAF long enough for that to sink in.:smiley:

:thumbsup:

At least he got the Immaculate Conception right. The bad part as always, it seems denial of God’s awsome power and no mention of Mary being full of grace.:hmmm:

God Bless
:popcorn:

contraception would probably be the biggest one, ordination of women is another I find the whole real Catholic TV thing hilarious.

I find that part pretty good. If her mother didn’t have to be. Than it would seem Mary didn’t have to be.

Oh you mean…revelatism…ordination of women,lesbians,gay men etc,etc. I find it absurd!

So, let me get this straight:

1. Jesus is NOT taught as a stern judge in the Catholic church?

2. The RCC does NOT teach perfection of character (either in this life or to get out of purgatory) to get into heaven? With Christ being the judge?

BTW, Pastor Lassman is a pastor in the LCMS. You really ought to give the guy a break as he was under time constraints and had to simplify a discussion that can get quite complex.

Just for clarification, more conservative Lutheran groups do not ordain women (or practicing gays), and take a more cautious view of contraceptive.

Jon

That makes you one-in-a-million (especially when it comes to YouTube religious topics haha) :thumbsup::smiley:

No Jesus is not taught to be a stern judge in the Catholic Church. Jesus is taught to be full of Love and Mercy.

Yes we must be made perfect in order to enter heaven. What do you think that a person full of sin can enter heaven? And yes we are all judged on Judgement day. What does your CHurch claim Judgement day is? And who does your Church claim Judges you?

And why should we give the guy a break when he is teaching lies about our teaching??

And if the man even had a clue himself what the Immaculate Conception was he would not even has said that Mary’s parents had to be perfect:rolleyes:

I just love when people like this try to teach others about our faith, when they do not have a clue themselves.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.