Lutherans to allow sexually active gays as clergy

I’m surprised, then again…maybe I’m not

comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090821/US.Lutherans.Gays/

In all fairness, this is the Evangelical Lutheran church-a much, much, much more theologically and politically liberal branch than the Missuori Synod.

The title of the article is a little misleading. The ELCA will allow this. They may be the largest Lutheran denomination but they certainly do not speak for all Lutherans.

God bless

I suspect that in the future we will see more and more churches doing this in the name of political correctness and to make it more attractive, though. And as that happens, I suspect the Catholic Church will see a growth in membership…

I don’t see the big deal. I mean, if they’re celibate, what difference does it make :shrug:.

This is why there is much wisdom in catholic teaching on homosexuality.

The state of being homosexual is not the sin, it is the act of homosexulaity that is a sin. just as pre-marital sex is a sin.

Churches who begin to see as sinless sexually active homosexuals, in paticular ordaining them as ministers of their denomination, are trying to re-write 6000 years judiac-christian morality and Scripture.

Abba will not be happy

I think you should re-read the article. They will not be held to celibacy. It appears the only requirement is that they are in a committed relationship.

God bless you

Okay, a committed relationship, that’s even better. It’ll set a good example for the rest of the gay community.

Mark my words. With these events the ECLA will, in time, look much more favorably upon abortion. It’s a sad day for Lutheranism.

A better example would to be living chaste lives.

This is a sad day for a church body. Homosexual priest this is in complete defiance of what is in the scriptures. Yes I know homosexuality is not the sin but the act. Committed relation ship or not. It is not what God laid out. We should pray for our misguided ELCA brotheren. May they see their errors.

Is there anything in the bible that clearly states with no room for interperation that homosexual acts are wrong?

I know that there are a number of passages that could suggest that homosexual acts are wrong, but I have not seen anything that leaves no room for doubt.

I am not trying to suggest that homosexual act are ok or anything of the sort, I am suggesting that it is not exactly clear either way.

Exhibit B…evidence what happens when one separates from the Catholic Church.

Exhibit A…is the Church of England, more specifically the Episcopal Church.

BIG THEOLOGICAL MISTAKE. ELCA presumably believes that sex outside of marriage is fornication, and is sinful/forbidden. Homosexual marriage is not recognized in the ELCA (at least not yet). ELCA is OK with clergy in “committed” homosexual relationships, therefor, they are endorsing fornication.

Now as has been suggested, next on the agenda is most likely to be the blessing of homosexual marriage, to make the whole think “OK”.

A twisted, backwards theology by any reasonable standard, whether or not one considers homosexual behavior a sin.

Without getting into a bible-verse battle, it’s pretty clear when Paul states that homosexuals won’t enter the Kingdom of Heaven that such is forbidden, no?

"You shall not commit adultery."
At the very basic level, the clear teaching of scripture and of Christianity through history is that sexual relations outside of marriage is against God’s will. At a time when the ELCA/LCA was much more confessional than it is becoming today, we were taught this, and that the prohibitions against relations outside marriage applied equally to heterosexual and homosexual.

Jon

There are many other issues regarding this that are disturbing for ELCA Lutherans. My brother, who currently is ELCA, shared his concern that the congregational approach to this (the choice to call a committed gay is in the hands of the congregation) is at best an incremental step. Once a committed gay is ordained, congregations who are seeking a pastor and do not wish a committed gay pastor will not be permitted to exclude one from the call process ( or deny a call!!) simply because of that personal status. IOW, the congregational choice aspect is temporary at best.

For me, the greatest irony is this:

Under the new policy, heterosexual clergy and professional lay workers must still abstain from sex outside marriage. The proposed change would cover those in “lifelong, monogamous, same-gender relationships.”

Huh? One is only allowed to have relations ouside of marriage if it is homosexual? I defy anyone to find that in scripture or the Confessions!!

A sad day, indeed, for my fellow Lutherans. And for those who cannot abide this, the doors of the LCMS are wide open.

Jon

They already do. Abortion is covered in the health plan offered to female clergy. That happened a while ago.

No its not.

1 Corinthians 6:9
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?
Do not be deceived;
neither fornicators, nor idolaters,
nor adulterers, nor effeminate,
nor homosexuals (NASB)

this english word
homosexuals
is from Gk arsenokoitai

two parts to this word: arsen-o-koitai
arsen = male
koitai = coitus

so
homosexuals = males having coitus with each other

Persons who practice such acts are UNrighteous, and will not inherit the kingdom of God.

seems clear to me, and no room for doubt

Thats really a cop out, because homosexuals are not allowed to marry.

So I guess the answer is to let them marry so that they are not commiting adultry.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.